2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my 2010 black Ms3 last sunday and I have been dying to make this thing mine all week. Well with the weekend finally here the first phaze of my exterior mods is finished. I painted my taillights, smoked my emblems and tinted my windows.

The tailights Came out awesome and i was able to photo document them for you all

I started by taking off the lights, scuffing them up with yellow 3m scotch bright and spaying them with plasic adhesion promoter

Then I painted them with transparent red paint. For anyone who knows about paint, I used autocolor aquabase, wich is a waterbourne paint (required in Cali) Its about 30% blender (clear toner) and 70% red 8971 and maroon 8979 toner. After 2 coats this is how it looked.

Then I painted a smoke over top of the red. Traditionally smoked lights is done by adding black toner too clear coat. but since all my toners are water base and wont mix with solvent clear,I have been smoking lights by adding black to the blender and then clearing over that. It makes the smoke into a basecoat clearcoat process. Anyways this is about 70% clear bleander and 20% jet black.
I didnt want the lights too black so this is just one coat

Then al thats left is clear and bake.

Smoking the emblems was pretty simular, I just hit them with 2 heavy coats of smoke.

unfortunitly i forgot to take a befor pic so this is another Ms3 but its basically the same stock set up i had

and this is the after

Im stoked about the finished product. If i were to do it agian i would to the lights a shade lighter, just so the cops dont bug me too much but otherwise Its all good.
O and by the ways, YES i forget about the reflectors on the bumper so i gues those are going to get painted next week... my bad. :argh 1:

Up next for phaze 2 of my exterior mods... I ordered some hid's from ddm tuning, 8000k for both the lows and the fog. I also ordered the led light kit from corksport that will replace the licence plate/dome/glove box lights with leds. Then i am going to paint my rims hopefully next week if i have time. I thought about powdercoating them black but i think thats going to be too much black, So im going with toyota color code 1g0. I paint it all the time and I think its one of the best charcoals. Heres an example of 1g0

If you guys like this thread Ill throw up pics of phaze 2 once its done hopefully by next week sometime

·
Registered
214 Posts
Taillights looks amazing.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I like that it looks great was thinking of doing the same thing but with vinyl instead that way if I dont it like I can take it off!

·
Registered
383 Posts
OK first of all i must say that i absolutely love these. I really want mine to be like this except stop before you smoked them. I just want mine red. question, how much do you think a body shop or paint shop would charge to do this and how long would it take. I would totally not drive my car for like 2 days if the price was right. I just ordered a sheet of red vinyl off ebay and will try that first as i would rather not ruin my tail lights by messing them up. lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK first of all i must say that i absolutely love these. I really want mine to be like this except stop before you smoked them. I just want mine red. question, how much do you think a body shop or paint shop would charge to do this and how long would it take. I would totally not drive my car for like 2 days if the price was right. I just ordered a sheet of red vinyl off ebay and will try that first as i would rather not ruin my tail lights by messing them up. lol
To be honest I have no idea. I work at a body shop but im in the paint department and so i never see the money side. For me it was around 70 bucks at cost, so with labor and mark up id say it would probably cost u around 130 to 150. But like i said that is just a guess. The hard part is going to be finding somewhere that will do it for you, this was the first time anyone at my shop had atempeted painting lights with color so i dont think the manegment would want to risk trying it on customer parts. So I would start by checking with custom shops insted of collision autobody shops. Good luck man, post some pics and let us know how it goes and cost.

·
Registered
383 Posts
ok. Actually the dealership where i bought the car said they would be willing to try it but i wanted to get a somewhat accurate estimate before i got it done and he had no idea how it would work out. I told him i had an extra tail light off my old car that he could test on but i don't want to end up spending like 300 bucks. For that price i would buy an extra set and do them myself. I actually bought a roll of tint film and am going to try that soon. I hope it looks as good as yours. I did check a couple body shops and custom shops and all of them didn't want to do it. The one custom shop only uses film though and he didn't think he could even wrap them so i hope it goes ok when i do them. lol

·
Registered
383 Posts
well i managed to find a body shop that said they would do it and have done it before. They said it would probably be $200 which is alittle more than what i wanted to spend but i did my reverse lights the other day with the film tint and they look ok but i know that i won't be able to do the outer section because of all the curves and angles. They said they would only take like 1 whole day and they are relatively close to me. Now i just need to get the money together. lol I am basically going to do the same general thing but without the smoke because i don't want them too dark and i will leave a strip of white for the reverse light to try and decrease the chances of getting pulled over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i managed to find a body shop that said they would do it and have done it before. They said it would probably be $200 which is alittle more than what i wanted to spend but i did my reverse lights the other day with the film tint and they look ok but i know that i won't be able to do the outer section because of all the curves and angles. They said they would only take like 1 whole day and they are relatively close to me. Now i just need to get the money together. lol I am basically going to do the same general thing but without the smoke because i don't want them too dark and i will leave a strip of white for the reverse light to try and decrease the chances of getting pulled over.
Kool man definitely post pictures of the result. I've been pulled over once since tinting my lights but luckily it was just cuz I hadn't put on my new registration tags yet and the cop didn't notice the lights. It probably helped that it was at night. But I do gotta tell ya I fricken hold my breath everytime I see a cop,but that's also cuz I have tinted front windows and no front plate, both illegal here in California

·
Registered
383 Posts
well hopefully i won't get pulled over at all. lol i don't plan on tinting my windows either so i shouldn't have a whole lot of things drawing attention to me. Yeah i might get them done within the next month but i have to get my summer tire setup together first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
These look great to me the perfect last step would be to turn the lower reflectors into smoked back up lights. Nice job!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a can of VHT Red Shades sitting in my hand now and ready to paint... I'm just really on the fence about the reverse lights on the trunk lid. I really love the look of 100% red but I'm concerned about backing up. I'm on a college campus and everyone drives crazy to say the least. I could totally see backing out of a parking garage space or somewhere cramped and someone thinking my brakes are on vs. me backing up.

I know the brake lights are red so the red tint doesn't do anything but usually a clear bulb shining through a red filter just equals pink. I'd like to do 100% red on my tails but I'm debating masking off a little "window" that's the same shape of the reverse light for it to shine through white.

How has your experience been in terms of light output in reverse?Do you have any pictures of what it looks like with the brake lights and reverse lights lit up?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I just did my reverse lights with the film and left a small slip in the reverse so it is technically white. You will definitely get less light out of them but it isn't really pink. Check out what i did. I plan on painting mine but i wanted to see how it looked first and the tint was 10 bucks. I am only leaving the reverse because it is the law or it would be all red but it does help atleast having some white light coming out of it. Are you planning on doing any clear coat over the red nightshades? i am probably going to go night shade but want a super glossy finish that is also UV resistant. Any suggestions?

DuoofDeath1's Black Mica Speed 3

1 - 20 of 28 Posts