2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there im new to t he forums but i have a question i would like to ask about my 2010 mazda 3 gs. today i decided to check the fluids out on my car and only after having it for a month i noticed the tranny fluid on the dip stick was some what a light brown color. i had previously talked to the dealer ship about if they topped off the fluids and what not, and they said yes mr. fayant all fluids were topped off for you. well today i noticed that the fluid was pretty low and a brown color , is this typically normal ? the car has close to 39 000k on it and im just wondering if they did say they topped off the fluid then well were the hell is all the tranny fluid going to, its definately not on the ground . On the same note the power steering fluid is also at the min mark on my car. Anyone can tell me if they do make a atf that comes in brown , i have asked some freinds and one buddy said theres a atf thats a silicone base that is actually white colored. a little frustrating :sad 1:

Attachments

·
D/A
328 Posts
Tranny fluid?

What kind of transmission do you have? I'm guessing ATF since you mentioned ATF at the end of your post. I'm not too familiar with the Canadian model lettering, but if the GS is the 2.0, then you have the same 2.0 engine and trans from the previous generation. Gen 1 had transmission temp problems and you had to change your trans fluid pretty much every 5,000 miles to help keep everything nice and lubricated, but they solved this in the Gen 2 by giving it a trans cooler. Depending on when yours was made, it will have a cooler too. Ultimately what this tells us is your car has a leak somewhere in it's lines to the cooler, and/or that the cooler itself is bad. You're definitely going to want to talk to a Mazda dealership about this.

White ATF is not for our cars, and do not use power steering fluid for your power steering. Kinda redundant, I know. IIRC, even in the manual does it say that you should use a certain( I can't recall it ATM ) transmission oil for your power steering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply it does say a specific kind of lubricant atf m-v. I didnt make myself to clear but atf is automatic transmission fluid lol just a shorter version for it. so if there happens to be a leak wouldnt it be noticeable on the ground i had checked the ground on where my car is parked and notta, but after looking at the manual they say if its 5mm from tip up then its good. Thats what it was reading maybe im overreacting but seeing most older cars and dealing with them they never read that low :S. My mazda is a 2.0 liter engine and im not sure what you mean by first gen and second gen ummm on the bill of sale it says 2010 mazda 3 4dr sedan gs im not sure if that means anything relating to first gen or second generation :S . I also have another question , i noticed when accelerating to 40 -50km per hour i can hear a slight squeeling almost like a belt or what not. I took this into two different dealers , the first say the electronic power steering is making the noise then they told me to go to mazda . Duh i should of thought of this prior lol so i took it there and they said my car was due to have a wheel alignment done and that it was causing that noise and not the power steering lol any idea? O and the reason why i went to the first dealership was hyundai were i had bought the car at a cheap price! It was also previously owned to so maybe the person before had put oil in the tranny not sure but a hefty price to get this fixes 195 dollars ugh :(

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
The power steering system is noisy, especially in the cold. Get used to it, it whines, its normal in every electric power steering car I've driven.

First gen (short for generation) is the 04-09 Mazda3. Your 2010 is second-gen.

ATF is usually red, dunno if the special kind required by your car is a different color, but the only other ATF that I can think of that is not red is Dexron (GM). And as krimson viper pointed out, use ATF in your power steering system

Whats the mileage on your car? I've seen a lot of used 2010s popping up here with about 30,000 miles which tells me they were rental cars. Perhaps the "previous owner" didn't do the proper PM before selling the car and neither did the dealer? What does the owners manual say for ATF fluid change intervals?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
There are no change intervals anymore. Our ATF fluid is Mercon M-V which is high quality. All your supposed to do is top it off if it gets low and leave it in there till the tranny dies. I starts out red and gradually turns brown as it gets older. Ford/Mazda found that doing flushes did more harm than good because it forces dirt and debris into passages that will starve the tranny of lubrication. I took a sample of mine at 10k miles. You can see that it's no longer red. It's a pinkish brown color. If you feel that you absolutely must change your fluid you have to remove the pan clean the screen and magnet and be totally anal about flushing all the old fluid out. Mercon M-V is also $15 a quart.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
so i shouldnt be to worried about this im just about to head out to go check this mercon v out and i will take a picture of the dipstick to show you the color of it, the pic above really helps out cuz thats pretty much what it looks like , so no need to worry about this then ?Ye the mazda dude also said to its typical for the 2010s to make that squeeling especially in the winter , i thought maybe the tensioner had to be tightened some but i guess maybe im wrong :p also thanks for the reply im learning more and more about this car then i didnt know through asking more questions! ZOOM ZOOM ill be back later to post some more with some pics of the tranny fluid thanks agains guys

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Just to clarify. We use Mercon M-V, it's not the same as Mercon V. It's higher quality than V and has a better lubricant package. That's why it will last the life of the tranny. You still need to top off if low and the only place you can get M-V is the dealer. When you check the level on the dipstick you have to be at operating temp. Different temps will show different levels so it's important to drive it and check it the same way every time. If your going to take a pic drip some on a white plate so you a see if the color is right or if there is moisture or contaminates in the fluid. Yes, electro hydraulic steering makes noise. It's noisy when the car is new and when the weather gets cold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ok so i went to the canadian tire and got the transmission fluid he told me that mercon mv means mercon multi vehicle and that they come in different classes as v=5 so i spent 1o bucks for it so im hoping its the right stuff , as for the pics my stupid camera is not uploading them ill try to put them on asap before i decide to dump in the fluid

p.s after checking the fluid this time i noticed the readings were sky high is it possible this is oil?

p. p .s lol im starting to think i might need this thing flushed ugh :(

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why are you doing all this stuff if there isn't even anything wrong? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Transmission fluid is not meant to be drained and refilled, maybe topped off, occasionally. On my Toyota, you can't even access the transmission fluid. It can only be changed by taking the whole thing apart and re-sealing it.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I'd take it to a competent mechanic or dealership and find out what the deal it. It's pretty dark but then again ypou have 40k on the car not 10k like mine.. Beware that if the fluid need to be changed it needs to be done the right way in order to avoid ruining the transmission alltogether. Power flushing leads to clogging of small oil galleries.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well what they told me from the dealership is that they topped all the fluids which to me i think they would of seen this ? considering the tranny fluid is part of there inspection , just odd why its brown and not red , and by pulling the dipstick is only a regular routine any one would do with inspecting the levels of there own fluid! also to add the power steering fluid is low dont you think a dealership would of told me this when doing this that my steering fluid is low? i also have pics of the paperwork done saying all levels are topped up , in a matter of less then a month they should be this low? It really shouldnt be the consumers responsibility after onlly a month to start spending 200 dollars on a car that should of been through a 90 point inspection throughout the entire vehicle. Wondering when a person draws the line and decides to call the better business bureau for a car that should have been maintained through the dealership before even considering to sell it to a consumer.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Bring it back to the dealership and voice your concern. It's better if your on record with this so if anything happens later you'll have recourse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
updated! i will be getting a call from the general manager tomorrow about my concern , they wouldnt deal with me at first till i told them i had pics and documentation that all fluids were previously checked and that my suspicion is that it happens to be oil , or that the tranny wasnt flushed before sold. So wish me luck tomorrow :punk::thumbup1 1:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
updated no call from dealership once again. So if dealership doesnt call back within the next few hours ill have no choice but to file a complaint with the better business bureau. Absolutely appauled with the lack of service through these guys, u figure you would want to satisfy your customer instead of pushing them away , a satisfied customer would be recommending there service not giving there name such a bad reputation through others :sad 1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts