2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scratched my 2010 17" Alloys on the curb today.. What can I do to fix em?

What happened: Small street, was at a stop and the guy making the turn into my street was really close to me so I turned to the curb to avoid him. In result, curb rash... :crybaby 1:

They look worse in the pictures than in person, but it hurts looking at it.

·
A.K.A. - Zuma2010
900 Posts
DUDE!!! Same EXACT thing happened to me like the first week I had my new 2010 3...I was so mad, cuz it wasn't my fault. Mine was about the same, but not quite as long. But when I got home, I just took some fine sandpaper, sanded it till the edges were not sticking out, and then rubbed some compound wax on it to slightly blend it in, I then buffed and polished it, and then hit it with some wax, let that settle, then hit it with some Meguiars Quick Detailer Spray. It is barely noticeable, even close up. Don't beat yourself up, apparently this happens to a lot of people.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Curb rash happens to most people. Don't worry about it.

My story...

I was recently in the market for some RPF1 wheels, but I didn't want to pay for new ones. I found a set of used wheels, but of course they had curb rash. However, I had a plan to fix it and wanted to repaint them anyway.

Some of the damage:

The metal on the lip was scraped and gouged. It actually caused the metal to be a different thickness in one area.

The first step was to get rid of all of the burrs and material that was pushed out by the gouge. I used 100 grit sandpaper and wasn't shy about burning through the finish, as you can see.

The next step was to add filler. A lot of people use bondo or body putty for this and it does work. However, since I had plenty of time to work on the wheels and I wanted to make sure the repair was as strong as possible, I used J.B. Weld. I applied more than I knew I needed, but didn't glob it on. You could get a little more precise here with bondo.

The J.B. Weld was left to cure overnight (would only be a couple of hours for bondo). Once I was confident it was dry, I started sanding it down. At first I used 100 grit, then swapped to 220 and 320 when it started to become even. I actually had to put another light coat of J.B. Weld in one spot because I sanded a little too much.

After that, it was time to scuff the rest of the rest of the wheel with 320 and get it ready for primer. After primer was wet sanding with 400 and the long painting process. If you can't match your factory paint, you might have to paint all of the wheels. This is a good thing though! You'll be able to use that paint for future repairs and only have to paint the damaged wheels then :)

Here is a repair I did to the stock wheels with bondo:

Damage

After bondo, sanding, and primer (some of the masking is removed in this pic)

Finished wheel. I'm the only one who can tell and that's because I'm OCD. lol. (ignore the camera strap)

NOTE: This is only for cosmetic damage. If there is structural damage to the wheel, replace it or take it to a professional alloy repair shop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks for all the support guys. Now I don't feel as stupid.. It hurts looking at it though, only had it for 3 months.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I only had mine for 2 months before the first incident, lol. It was a poorly-designed ATM :argh 1: I'm a lot more careful with them now and do a recon to make sure I won't have problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow great write-up Derrick. I'll see what I can do this weekend. I've heard about people using that bondo putty.

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
does a tire with rim protector eliminates/ prevents curb rash? or not that much?

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
i think those are mainly for truckses, arent they?
not that I know of.. I'm planning to buy the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 215/50/R17 once I needed one.. and it has the "Max Flange Shields" aka Rim Prtoector..

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Falken Ziex 512s on my 91 Miata had rim protectors. I never got curb rash for the two years they were on the car. At least, not until the forklift took chunks out of two of them at the salvage yard before I was able to take them off the car to sell them. :argh 1:

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
The Falken Ziex 512s on my 91 Miata had rim protectors. I never got curb rash for the two years they were on the car. At least, not until the forklift took chunks out of two of them at the salvage yard before I was able to take them off the car to sell them. :argh 1:
So they helped a lot? I might have to get them on my next set of tires.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had low profiles with the raised rib featured in picture number two in the article you linked to, but despite this "special" feature, it did nothing to save my alloys from curb rash.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts