2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, the best way to avoid it is to not hit the curb at all. I live in the city and park on the street daily, though, and sometimes it's just unavoidable. I've got some small knicks on a few of the rims that I want to take care of at some point. With past cars that I've owned, this wasn't an issue because the tires had enough extra bulge past the side of the rim that the tire would always hit the curb first. With the stock Yokohamas 205s on my 3, there is no bulge, so the rim hits first. These tires are narrower than they should be for this rim IMO.

Does anyone have any recommendations on ways to deal with this? I'm thinking of picking up a set of summer tires to replace the Yokohamas, which aren't that great of a tire. Something that runs a bit wider in order to protect the rim, but still 205 width. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Tires that are still 205s but tend to run wider include Continental, Nexen, Cooper and Goodyear. The two I'd personally recommend, having used both, are Continental Extreme Contact DW (DWS is the all season), or Goodyear Eagle GT (actually all season, but has nice dry & wet performance).

But yes, need to be careful were you park. Can you use any surface lots or structures?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
^lol

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
It's not really the width of the Yoko's, it's the fact they were designed without a bead guard...unlike most performance tires made these days. Another reason they are total junk.

I'm running the Kuhmo 4X's and they have a more square side-wall and a bead guard which should protect the lip on the wheel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scraped AGAIN parking a few minutes ago. It's tricky, because I've seen cars get their mirrors taken off on this street before - so I try to get as close to the curb as humanly possible. Unfortunately, there are no garages or lots around here, just on-street, which sucks, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the great suggestions, though. I'm ditching the crap Yokos as soon as I can.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Id say get an alarm with the pager that way you dont have to park to close and if they hit youll know :yes:

·
Registered
191 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts