2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Intakes and MPG improvements...

I saw it mentioned in another thread that people with the CS SRI had seen improvements in MPGs. I was wondering if we could get a summary from those people, their MPG improvements, driving style and environment.

I could see the SRI making the most improvements for people who have a lot of super cold starts but I'd like to see information from everyone. I could also see the SRI have possibly negative effects in lots of city driving. I had an SRI on my previous Mazda and it didn't seem to help the MPGs but wasn't a noticeable decrease either. I'm considering trying again on my skyactiv since the install looks super easy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the CS SRI on my '13 Skyactiv for little over a month.

I did not do the ECU reset, barely put on 500 miles and of those miles I would say 60% is city, 40% highway. In any case, I been getting 28.8 MPG average. Which is about the same prior to the install.

Like I said, it could be the fact I did not try to disconnect the battery for the ECU.

In semi-related opinion of the intake, I did like the fact it has an AEM-style dry-flow filter. I had an Injen intake on my G35 with the same style filter and liked it way more then the K&N style I had on my Stillen intake (easier to clean).

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
100% normal city driving. 2010 mazda3 2.0 non-sky was getting 28ish after Simota SRI install I'm getting 30ish.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should say info from any intake would be useful. The corksport was the only one I am aware of. Are there others?

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I guess I should say info from any intake would be useful. The corksport was the only one I am aware of. Are there others?
I cannot speak for skyactiv. But i do feel most intakes will net a little better mileage if you can keep your foot out of it. The intake on my speed will get me better mileage than stock but thats only if i drive it easy. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I cannot speak for skyactiv. But i do feel most intakes will net a little better mileage if you can keep your foot out of it. The intake on my speed will get me better mileage than stock but thats only if i drive it easy. :tongue:
Warmer air up to a point will increase mpgs, proven fact. The short ram intake aka hot air intake if drove the same should see a small increase till it gets too hot. But not too much of a hp increase but noise = hp right?

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Warmer air up to a point will increase mpgs, proven fact. The short ram intake aka hot air intake if drove the same should see a small increase till it gets too hot. But not too much of a hp increase but noise = hp right?
Actually just drove it on the highway for the first time today. 30 mpg at 68 mph. Hell yea. And actually it doesnt draw in too hot of air. Sure when sitting for a few at a light it warms up but cools down really quick. Cruising it draws in air about 7 degrees warmer than the outside temp. The stock airbox drew in air about 3-4 degrees hotter.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Hopefully at some point they will make a cold air box like they have for their reg 2.0L sri

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I'd just get some sheetmetal, rubber grommets and screws and bend your own heat shield lol. The Skyactiv airbox has its own feeder duct, which you could modify to steal more air from the radiator duct, and then just direct it straight into your filter. Plus a heat shield, you really shouldn't have to worry much about hot intake temperatures as long as you're actually driving and not sitting on a dyno.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually just drove it on the highway for the first time today. 30 mpg at 68 mph. Hell yea. And actually it doesnt draw in too hot of air. Sure when sitting for a few at a light it warms up but cools down really quick. Cruising it draws in air about 7 degrees warmer than the outside temp. The stock airbox drew in air about 3-4 degrees hotter.
Just to clarify, you are saying the stock intake setup drew in air that was 3-4 degrees hotter than the SRI air or 3-4 degrees hotter than ambient?

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Just to clarify, you are saying the stock intake setup drew in air that was 3-4 degrees hotter than the SRI air or 3-4 degrees hotter than ambient?
Sorry bad wording on my part. The stock air box drew in air 3-4 degrees warmer than the outside temp. The SRI draws in air 7 or so degrees warmer than the outside temp. Those figures are based on the car moving.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry bad wording on my part. The stock air box drew in air 3-4 degrees warmer than the outside temp. The SRI draws in air 7 or so degrees warmer than the outside temp. Those figures are based on the car moving.
Thanks. That is what i was guessing.

The ecomodders would love the SRI in that case.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I really am surprised that it doesnt draw in hotter air than it does. The stock box is good but but the box is to restrictive. Once it gets hot from sitting it doesnt cool down as good as the SRI

·
Registered
76 Posts
Still no luck with my SRI. Last tank got 26.6 MPG and that included a nice 100 mile trip on the highway - cruise set at 72-73 MPH. All shifts under 4000 RPM and let the car gradually get those RPMs. Put the stock airbox back on for the same trip home and MPG shot up to 35.

Just a heads up to everyone that the SRI might not improve MPG on your mazda.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still no luck with my SRI. Last tank got 26.6 MPG and that included a nice 100 mile trip on the highway - cruise set at 72-73 MPH. All shifts under 4000 RPM and let the car gradually get those RPMs. Put the stock airbox back on for the same trip home and MPG shot up to 35.

Just a heads up to everyone that the SRI might not improve MPG on your mazda.
Your last test was kind of a waste. Roundrip is the only useful method. You could have been driving up hill into the wind on the way there and downhill with a tail wind on the way home. I can get the same variance in MPGs as you did on your 100 mile trip just because of these factors.

Either way, something isn't right. I can drive 80 MPH into a 30mph wind and still break 31 MPGs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your last test was kind of a waste. Roundrip is the only useful method. You could have been driving up hill into the wind on the way there and downhill with a tail wind on the way home. I can get the same variance in MPGs as you did on your 100 mile trip just because of these factors.

Either way, something isn't right. I can drive 80 MPH into a 30mph wind and still break 31 MPGs.
It was a trip total of 275 miles that gave me a 26.1 AVG MPG. Check my fuelly page. On that trip I drove 100 miles on the highway at 72-73 MPH and that actually brought my MPG up to 28, until I started driving the city again.

Yeah I don't understand it and the stock airbox is back on. Current average is 34 MPG with a new tank so I will report back at the end of the week.

I am thinking about trying the K&N replacement filter to see if that helps.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts