2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Corksport rear swaybar and a few other bits arrived today in the post. I'm pretty excited and getting them installed on Wednesday. I'm thinking the softer setting will be better for Winter driving. Just curious if anyone has any experience of driving in snow with this setup soft vs hard. I'm in SW Ontario so we get a bit of snow although the roads get cleared fairly well and I'm on Winter tires.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
Swaybar settings have no bearing on how the car drives in the snow. Just put it on the stiffest setting now , no sense in going back and changing it later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swaybar settings have no bearing on how the car drives in the snow. Just put it on the stiffest setting now , no sense in going back and changing it later.
My apologies I should have been a bit clearer in my initial post regarding what I was asking ;).

So here's my question: with the stiffer setting on the corksport bar has anyone found the car more likely to oversteer in snow / ice.

While drifting with some opposite lock is fun I feel like it could get a bit tiring taking every corner like that during the Canadian Winter. Also with the low traction it could make powering out of the corner when drifting difficult.

If the softer setting keeps the car more biased to oversteer and we'll mannered, than the harder setting, I'd be more inclined to go with that for Winter. Then switch to the stiffer setup with summer performance tires in the Spring.

If anyone in the snow belt with the corksport sway bar wants to share their experiences I'd love to know.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If the softer setting keeps the car more biased to oversteer and we'll mannered, than the harder setting, I'd be more inclined to go with that for Winter.
Winter.[/QUOTE]

I meant to say: ...If the softer setting keeps the car more biased to understeer...

·
Registered
280 Posts
My friend who raced cars on ice set up them up with soft sway bars, or no sway bars at all.

IIRC he was looking for neutral steering, but less sway bar allowed more body roll made the weight transfer to the outside wheel a little slower, which made the car a little less responsive and a little more controllable.

I'm not really sure if that was a typical set up, or just his own preference.

·
Banned
842 Posts
I suggest with any suspension upgrades that you start at the lowest settings available and see how that personally works for you. Because every vehicle has different variables trying to compare another's setting unless you have exactly all the same suspension components will generally net different results. As always remember that your car will react differently with your new suspension upgrades and you should learn the new driving characteristics before pushing the upper limits. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
Since the OP hasn't made any mention of ice racing or anything of the sort, I would think that this is a daily driver thing. Slippery conditions on public roads dictate slow speeds reasonable for the conditions. As such, the sway bar won't make enough of a difference to say so on either setting. If traction on ice or snow is the question, the answer is better tires designed for ice and snow, not suspension changes. If the tires don't have any sort of traction, the suspension isn't doing a whole lot anyway, so again, the sway bar setting makes no difference.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I suggest with any suspension upgrades that you start at the lowest settings available and see how that personally works for you. Because every vehicle has different variables trying to compare another's setting unless you have exactly all the same suspension components will generally net different results. As always remember that your car will react differently with your new suspension upgrades and you should learn the new driving characteristics before pushing the upper limits. :smile2:
:thumbup1:

I mounted my Progress bar (similar to your CS bar) in the softer setting to see how the car would handle, with intentions to bump it up to the stiffer setting. The softer setting worked so well, I've never felt the need to go stiffer. Start in the lower setting, see how the car behaves & bump it up as needed.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I started with the softer Progress sway bar setting and liked it. Then choose to go to its stiffer setting — and like its handling even more (changing the end links when I made that latter change).

I have not driven in snow all this winter, but experienced serious freezing rain since I made the second of those two sway bar setting changes — driven 200+ miles in it, and further added one other variable, putting on my studded Nokian Hakka 8’s on my car while doing that driving (and since). Handled flawlessly, did not slide 1/8” on either end during the 200 miles — while AWD’s and 4WD’s were often seen in ditches, on their sides, spinning madly, etc.

Midnightsky228 who lives in Alberta and experiences snow and ice daily, is one who I would love to provide his own experience into this thread. He is also a skilled motoX’r.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone who's shared their perspective and experience on this thread. It's been interesting to hear those opinions.

The part of Ontario I'm in gets very changeable Winter weather. From compacted snow, slush, dry bare pavement, freezing rain / ice. Unfortunately we can't run studded tires in this part of the province. Putting a decent set of Winter tires on was the first thing I did on the day I picked up the car. The city where I live doesn't follow the traditional North American grid layout, so there are plenty of curvy roads for spirited driving.

From the sounds of it the stiffer setting won't compromise the handling for daily driving. Having said that I've only had the car for a week and am still getting a feel for it. So I'll go with the softer setup initially and switch to the stiffer setting in the Spring when the car is up on the lift for Summer tires. I'll have to pick which one I prefer after that.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to comment, I appreciate it. I hope this thread is useful to anyone else who is considering upgrading the sway bar. I'll post my first thoughts on the setup after I visit the mechanic on Wednesday.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I’ve the CS swaybar installed with the softer setting. To be honest, I can’t feel that much a difference between the CS and the OEM one. And like Arathol have mentioned, tires are much more important than the swaybar setup in snow driving.

Sent from my Washing Machine using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
I’ve the CS swaybar installed with the softer setting. To be honest, I can’t feel that much a difference between the CS and the OEM one.
If installed correctly the bar should make a pretty significant difference even on the lower setting. The CS bar rating on the soft setting is 130% or 2.3x the OEM bar rating, 794lbs vs 345lbs.
Maybe you just aren't trying hard enough....:laughing001:

·
Banned
842 Posts
Suppliers, marketers and even aftermarket performance parts manufactures often will use terms describing bar diameter and percentage rating comparing their products to others or even an OEM anti roll/sway bar in order to promote sales.

Usually it takes a familiar TRACK or a test section of road to be able to compare suspension changes like the settings on a Sway bar at a known and practiced speed.
For my Track/Street cars I use and monitor an Autometer D-Pic that can measure even small changes in handling characteristics that I can not always feel but greatly effect the cars handling as I increase the speed.
Small changes do have an effect on how a suspension will react at different speeds even it may feel like there is no change.

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
Suppliers, marketers and even aftermarket performance parts manufactures often will use terms describing bar diameter and percentage rating comparing their products to others or even an OEM anti roll/sway bar in order to promote sales.
Those are the specifications provided by the manufacturer. Are you saying that they are incorrect or deceptive? Any proof of that?
Diameter and spring rating is the only way to provide any sort of meaningful specs for a bar, and comparing specs is the only way to make any sort of decision short of buying and installing all of them. Why or how would anyone buy a sway bar without knowing what sort of performance it is supposed to provide?

·
Banned
842 Posts
Arathol Please re-read my response again. I think you are reading more into what I said or my intention of information. I will say that IMHO many really do not altogether understand what suspension parts completely do and how each one interacts with one another. This is why I specifically mentioned using measuring device like a D-Pic to get empirical data. Those that do not have such devices must rely on marketing literature,word of mouth from users and basic component specification to make the best decision what may work for them.

·
Super Moderator
6,408 Posts
I read it the way it was written.:dunno: It sounds like you are saying that some vendors are using advertising gimmicks to move product, and those ads may be misleading. There would be no point in promoting sales if the product was advertised as being inferior to its competition. Is there some reason to believe that the specs are other then advertised?

·
Banned
842 Posts
Sorry arathol....:frown2: Really... it is not what I said at all! My words were clear and accurate. I do understand interpretation that some may have regarding anyones responses on forums.

I think Chloe_b will start off easy and work up to different setting if needed. As it should be and also recommended by just about every Performance Suspension manufacture that I am aware of recommends for there products. :thumbup 1:

One of my 2 cars I use a D-Pic in . This is more or less the long ongoing Project car. The other is a Street only but I don't really need to post pictures of both of them. The D-Pic has helped me do various suspension adjustments and changes that benefited finding the better increase in traction(wet,snow mud etc.) tailoring steering and naturally high speed stability for handling overall.
D-Pic is easy to install (3 wires) and relatively inexpensive for all that you get from it.

I apologize for the poor quality picture. This car in in the garage covered up and several fiberglass parts are sitting on top of it. So it was not so easy to get into the cockpit to take the picture.

20180128_130302.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm running the CS swaybar on the stiffer setting on the OEM tires. I didn't notice a difference until I drove past the traction limit; I've spun at AutoX from oversteer, and most of my runs are managing that rotation rather than crippling understeer.

In the snow down in the South, the rear is a handful if I drive too hard. Probably better to start with the softer of the settings for this winter, then bump up for summer and see if you want to go back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts