2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CS Exhaust

Sorry for the repeat of thread. I found my answers I need from a lot of searching in forums. Can't even figure out how to delete this -__-

·
Registered
268 Posts
link.... i need answers as well ....
i dont know what a racepipe or catback is?

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
link.... i need answers as well ....
i dont know what a racepipe or catback is?
Racepipe is the pipe connecting the downpipe which has catalytic converter #1 to the rest of the exhaust the racepipe can replace cat #2 with a highflow or a straight pipe any other q's?

·
Registered
268 Posts
thanks for the prompt response..

corsport lists no racepiepe/ racepipe /racepipe with high flow catalyst

i want a sort of loud exhaust which would be my best option?

and thanks im a noob :blush 1:

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
thanks for the prompt response..

corsport lists no racepiepe/ racepipe /racepipe with high flow catalyst

i want a sort of loud exhaust which would be my best option?

and thanks im a noob :blush 1:
Well depending on your geographical location and laws in your area a catless racepipe would give a nice growl and a cat back exhaust ( which goes after the racepipe ). Would help

·
Registered
268 Posts
i know i wont be able to buy the catalyst because im in California, if i buy the corksport exhaust without the racepipe does that include the catback on the package?

i like the sound of this / in the comments it says no racepipe only catback (do i buy the catback or does it come in the basic package?

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
i know i wont be able to buy the catalyst because im in California, if i buy the corksport exhaust without the racepipe does that include the catback on the package?

i like the sound of this / in the comments it says no racepipe only catback (do i buy the catback or does it come in the basic package?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xO0uyz7C48
Yeah the corksport exhaust would include everything after where the racepipe would go and that would keep you legal I think

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Catback exhaust is a exhaust system that connects to the catalyst right after your downpipe. The CS without the racepipe/HFC (high flow catalyst) will connect to that catalyst after the downpipe. The CS with racepipe will completely remove the catalyst causing greater sound and gains. CS with racepipe/HFC is a catalyst but is more efficient and lightweight therefore getting better gains than stock catalyst but not as much as no catalyst with racepipe. Google search catalyst for automotive and you will see what it is. And I will send you a link to help real quick.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you are in Cali and need to pass emissions tests, etc. Just go with the regular exhaust without racepipe/HFC so you won't get in trouble lol. All you have to do it cut the pipe connecting to the catalyst by the downpipe and the rest is just bolt-on. Pretty easy install. Warranty shouldn't be voided and you will pass emissions :yes:

·
Registered
268 Posts
thanks buddy!!
so i guess i will get the corksport exhaust without the racepipe and catalyst

·
2012 Mazda 3i Sport owner
245 Posts
TECHNICALLY since you have 2 cats in on the mz3 if you replaced the second with a high flow cat you would probably still pass smog and i've NEVER seen a test look under the car to see if its modified. As long as the numbers are good you are ok. Lived in Cali for 30 years and drove for 15 of those. I passed in my 99 accord with a burnt out cat, just kept resetting the light with an obd2 scanner.

The only exhaust laws in cali are noise, i think its like 92db or something you have to stay under from 100 feet away, and you have to pass smog.

If you have the speed3 then you might have more trouble because turbo is a bit more taxing.

Me personally id just do the catback with high flow cat. This still leaves your primary cat (with o2 sensor) in tact and replaces the secondary cat with a new high flow one.

More power, better sound, and should still pass smog.

Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
well on the corksport website it sites the catalyst as unavailable in cali so thats out of the question.

and as for the racepipe, i dont want to run into any trouble in the future.:chuck_norris 1:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am getting a Racepipe installed :p except I am going to have a 18" resonator put in to lower the sound and kill any drone from removing the 2nd cat :). A resonator is hollow, so it should not restrict airflow at all :)

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's good, can you post a video with and without resonator? Be nice to hear it :).

·
Registered
107 Posts
sure. I am overdue on taking the video anyways. My resonator comes in tomorrow, so I am hoping to get it installed sometime this week.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I actually just got my big ass Vibrant 18" resonator (seemed like more than twice as big as the OEM one) installed and took off my 2nd Cat :). I have to say, it sounds great. It's actually more quiet than with the Cat + Magnaflow. It's not as loud now and seems to smooth out the exhaust tone. still very deep. I would say increased flow by a lot. I looked through the stock cat and could barely see through it. (burned my fingers on the cat :|, it was hottttt) Only a glimmer of light. My car doesn't stink without the 2nd cat, can't even tell the difference.

Sorry I am sooo slow at posting video. I am looking to buy a charger for my camera, but Best Buy was trying to rob me of 50 dollars for a small piece of plastic. I am waiting on an online order which only cost me 7 dollars :p. Sadly I won't have a before really... except for my phone video but that couldn't capture the deep tones at all.

Reactions: Rherold9

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
I actually just got my big ass Vibrant 18" resonator (seemed like more than twice as big as the OEM one) installed and took off my 2nd Cat :). I have to say, it sounds great. It's actually more quiet than with the Cat + Magnaflow. It's not as loud now and seems to smooth out the exhaust tone. still very deep. I would say increased flow by a lot. I looked through the stock cat and could barely see through it. (burned my fingers on the cat :|, it was hottttt) Only a glimmer of light. My car doesn't stink without the 2nd cat, can't even tell the difference.

Sorry I am sooo slow at posting video. I am looking to buy a charger for my camera, but Best Buy was trying to rob me of 50 dollars for a small piece of plastic. I am waiting on an online order which only cost me 7 dollars :p. Sadly I won't have a before really... except for my phone video but that couldn't capture the deep tones at all.
Very cool! Also, since you didn't remove your first cat and only the second, it won't smell

1 - 19 of 19 Posts