2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating on getting the CorkSport SRI for the 2.5 is worth it?

Does it give the engine some needed noise?
Is the HP gains minimal or are they Virtually unnoticed?
Throttle response increase?
Does it just soak up the hot air from the engine with out the Cold air box?

New to modding cars any help and info will be appreciated thank you. :)

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
It will add a growl to the engine, but without proper heat shielding it can rob hp at times.
CK

Reactions: Ryan_5919

·
Super Moderator
6,392 Posts
I am debating on getting the CorkSport SRI for the 2.5 is worth it?
Depends on what you want out of your car....

Does it give the engine some needed noise?
Yes

Is the HP gains minimal or are they Virtually unnoticed?
Throttle response increase?
Does it just soak up the hot air from the engine with out the Cold air box?
Pretty much minimal or unnoticed on both counts, but you will notice the loss of power when it starts sucking in hot underhood air. :|

:laugh2:​

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So would it be worth getting the Cold air box? or is there a cheaper alternative than spending $130 on a plastic box?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
Yes, the cold air box would be needed for the air temps to be kept down. That way you will have colder/thicker air to feed your engine.

Some reviews mentioned install problems, so I would research the various CAI systems out there for our cars.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,392 Posts
My experience says that the factory parts work just as good and keep intake temps down just as well also. The box also muffles the sound so that it isn't too much different than stock. Soooo.....:dunno:

·
Awesome Member
41 Posts
Ryan,

For what it’s worth, I took a dremel to add holes to the driver’s side and bottom of the stock air box on my 2.5. By making holes in these locations, air is pulled from the drivers side front wheel well area.

Some mixing with engine bay air will take place, but at a technical level, heat rises and is emitted from warm surfaces in the engine bay. If you had a heat map of the engine bay, the drivers side lower wheel well location is going to be one of the colder parts. There is nothing motivating the warm air above the head, block, and exhaust manifold to migrate towards the lower drivers side wheel well. If you are careful with the location of the holes, then you should be able to minimize the potential for ingesting warm air from the discharge side of the radiator fans. If you sit in traffic a lot, then eventually this area will warm up, too, but it’s a compromise between flow, sound, and heat gain.

After doing this mod, you can hear a little more intake noise at ~4,000+ RPMs, but it’s stock silent below that. No perceptable power change, but the extra full throttle noise is fun. Driving around in heavy SoCal traffic, I haven’t noticed a difference in available power from heat gain.

·
Super Moderator
6,392 Posts
Ryan,

For what it’s worth, I took a dremel to add holes to the driver’s side and bottom of the stock air box on my 2.5. By making holes in these locations, air is pulled from the drivers side front wheel well area.

Some mixing with engine bay air will take place, but at a technical level, heat rises and is emitted from warm surfaces in the engine bay. If you had a heat map of the engine bay, the drivers side lower wheel well location is going to be one of the colder parts. There is nothing motivating the warm air above the head, block, and exhaust manifold to migrate towards the lower drivers side wheel well. If you are careful with the location of the holes, then you should be able to minimize the potential for ingesting warm air from the discharge side of the radiator fans. If you sit in traffic a lot, then eventually this area will warm up, too, but it’s a compromise between flow, sound, and heat gain.

After doing this mod, you can hear a little more intake noise at ~4,000+ RPMs, but it’s stock silent below that. No perceptable power change, but the extra full throttle noise is fun. Driving around in heavy SoCal traffic, I haven’t noticed a difference in available power from heat gain.
This....

I used a 2" hole saw and put one hole on the side just behind the headlight and one on the front under the box intake . Also, I insulated the box and covered it with Thermaflect. Its not in the picture but I filled the gap around the intake tube with a collar made from strip of foam insulation to keep hot air from entering there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts