1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I love mazda and wishes it does well, but in a way it's kind of nice to not see the same car everywhere if you know what I mean. I still feel like I'm driving a rare car at times lol Especially when I first bought mine back in late 2013 when there were barely any 3rd gens driving around. For about a year I enjoyed being one of the few 3rd gens around and would see another one or two every month or so haha Corollas, civics and sentras are everywhere and a one minute drive down the street I probably see 3-5 new civics and it barely came out not too long ago. I like being different I guess :/

·
Working Class Hero
3,641 Posts
I'm on my fourth Mazda for exactly the reasons stated above. The only times I have strayed were in 86 for a new Integra and then my very first car in 78 which was a Toyota. Otherwise, I guess I'm a fanboy lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The crazy thing is here in Denver Mazdas are everywhere--new 3s, old 3s, LOTS of CX-5s (like, the same amount as CR-Vs and RAV4s), and even a good amount of 6s, old and new.

Maybe it's the outdoorsy lifestyle or something...

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is great news. I'm all about driving and riding vehicles that every other Joe doesn't. I had a MINI Paceman before this -- talk about rare air. I'm really happy with this car. My bike (that I unfortunately just totaled) was a Honda CTX1300. Gave the 3 a bath yesterday and instantly got re-infatuated with it. Compact but roomy, comfortable and fun to drive. Looks are just unique enough to stand out but sharp enough to not be dorky. Reading that it compares favorably with other cars in its class but still doesn't sell as well checks all the right boxes for me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
mazda is a brand that took me by surprise after they broke off from ford. i remember back in the late 90s when my dad had a 323.. but mazda didn't really seem to impact me except for their rx7/8. having a e90 m3 as a first car when i finally could drive, it was really hard to see any quality beyond a euro car. then came the decision to formally go back and complete my uni did i take a look at mazda and was taken aback by such quality among their japanese counterparts. it reminded me so muchof my first car, e90 m3 in terms of the interior (idrive replica) and shape of the body.

having grew in singapore before i moved to australia, i seldom see the different trim ranges as what the dealers offered was one or the other. the problem i see is this, anyone looking to purchase a "normal" car, would go with cheaper options like toyota or hyundai (at least here in straya), this is the category that seldom look beyond the most basic trim. then comes the second category that look into highest trim, and with the 35-40k tag in the sp25 astina, one could either be looking into the bigger sedans as a much better buy like the commodore, falcon, camry etc than a small car or have a better choice like golf, 1series etc to choose from.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well Atlanta,ga I see more old model 3 than new ones which is fine with me I get a lot looks from other drivers and few ask me that is the new Mazda 3 that's nice looking.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wow, some of the reader comments in the above Car and Driver article are pretty brutal towards the Mazda3 and the Mazda brand in general.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I wonder if the problem is relative lack of advertising. Is Mazda's advertising budget as large as the competition's? I doubt it.

I bet if enough folks got behind the wheel of a Mazda the sales would be more commensurate with its performance and value for the dollar. There's just so much competition out there nowadays that it's hard to compete unless your name is constantly splattered all over the place.

And for a smaller company like Mazda, the cost of adequate advertising may be too much, especially when R&D needs to be so prevalent in the fast-moving world we live in today.

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Canada like Australia gets Mazda with the 3 being the 4th best selling car in each country... the article should look up a little and wonder why US market doesn't like Mazda 3 and Mazda overall :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow, some of the reader comments in the above Car and Driver article are pretty brutal towards the Mazda3 and the Mazda brand in general.
I don't understand any of the people talking about dropping 400 on a nav system or needing real time traffic updates sent to the car's LCD. Uh, you have a phone with Google Maps, Waze, or Apple Maps on it.

Why would you EVER use the nav system in the car if you've got those *far superior* choices?

What they need to do is add those apps to the car natively, so you can use them right from the screen. That's what I'm hoping for. To be able to use Waze from the infotainment system directly and ditch the phone caddy that hangs from my ac vents...

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't understand any of the people talking about dropping 400 on a nav system or needing real time traffic updates sent to the car's LCD. Uh, you have a phone with Google Maps, Waze, or Apple Maps on it.

Why would you EVER use the nav system in the car if you've got those *far superior* choices?
As somebody who has been using Google Maps exclusively for trip navigation for the last several years, I'll agree that they are technically far superior. No on-board solution is ever going to be better than Google's Maps. Even if it was on-par right now, it will be behind next year, when Google tweaks an algorithm, etc.

That said, since getting my Mazda 3, I've been using the on-board maps exclusively for a few reasons:

• The screen is in a much better position than anywhere I could really stick a phone
  • Voice prompts always work, even if I've muted the stereo (remember: No pause button, so if I need things quiet for a minute, my phone's nav instructions would also be muted).
  • Quick access. I might not want to stare at the map for most of my highway cruise. But once I get there, I can press one button to instantly switch over to my route.
  • Phone mounts suck. I've had a few dozen over the years, and never found one that doesn't suck. Just some that are tolerable. With onboard maps, I don't even have to take my phone from my pocket.

But Google is still the technically better solution. A lot of that is just because Google's voice dialing is top notch. "OK Google navigate to Tim Horton's on Highbury near Huron" actually gets me where I want to go. I have no idea what their street number is. This particular example *is* in the on-board POI database, but you need to stop to search it.

"Take me home" works for both, though.

What they need to do is add those apps to the car natively, so you can use them right from the screen. That's what I'm hoping for. To be able to use Waze from the infotainment system directly and ditch the phone caddy that hangs from my ac vents...
I agree, sort of. I absolutely do not want another set of apps to manage, update, tweak settings and preferences, etc. The solution is really Android Auto (and Carplay). I wouldn't have to worry about what to do with my phone: Just plug it in and shove it in the arm rest. AA would benefit from the nice, convenient display. I wouldn't have to worry about map updates, or traffic, etc. Plus my phone would stay charged.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

The big display is in a convenient position. My old eyes likes the bigger screen. Press the button on the steering wheel to have it say, "Say a command." As a real estate appraiser, I may have to find 20 residential addresses and take pictures of them. I use my cell phone (LG-H811) as a camera. It would not be convenient to keep switching from camera to map.

I often play Pandora too. The phone needs a bit of time to cool off. By the way, Pandora cuts out when the camera app starts. Pandora returns when the camera app is closed.

A quick and seamless Android Auto would be the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The nav is actually quite good, except for the lack of real time traffic updates. The more you use it, the easier it becomes to select destinations. It's also useful for eyeballing location and direction without a destination. Honestly- it's about the cheapest to add on oem nav out there, especially if you get the card off the internet. I think it's worth it, even without the traffic. But I still want the, to add traffic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts