2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 GT
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I'm new to the forums and recently purchased a 2017 Mazda 3.

I have just recently begun hacking the infotainment. So far I've backed up my jci folder and installed Android Auto and the touch-screen tweak to enable it while driving using the AIO tools.

I am also a developer and am interested in contributing to the community by creating tweaks and such, although there is one problem, I do not want to risk bricking my system. I had the idea of creating an iso of the entire linux system on the car by plugging in an usb drive, ssh'ing into the car and running the command "sudo dd if=/dev/xxx of=system.iso" which should technically create an iso of the entire drive onto my usb. Before I start though I want to make sure this won't damage the car in any way because I haven't found anyone who has done this when I searched the web online which surprised me. My goal is to emulate the entire OS on my PC. I am aware that there are some programs that do something like this on the forum, but these tend to only emulate the gui not the entire OS and many programs do not run (like the navigation app).

TL;DR
Would it be safe to plug in a usb into the car, ssh'ing into the linux infotainment system, and running a command like "sudo dd if=/dev/xxx of=system.iso" to create an iso of the entire drive?

·
Registered
131 Posts
And what do you think could harm the system when creating a snapshot? Inspect the system for the number of blocks. What are you going to save on the USB flash drive? How are you going to run the system on a mobile architecture on a desktop computer?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts