2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A guy I follow on YouTube tried this stuff and had decent results with it and despite my skepticism, I decided to give it a whirl today. Lately I've noticed a dip in fuel economy so I figured for what it would cost to try, I had nothing to lose. I got the can for $13.99 at my local AutoZone and with the help of an assistant to hold the rpms at 2000 (ish), I managed to complete the first cleaning with 20,580 miles on the odometer, almost all of them in-town miles.

Things I noted include the fact that this car runs like ca-ca when you pull the intake hose off the throttle body because that vacuum line comes with it. This obviously makes holding 2000 rpm quite tricky. In hindsight I should have just pulled the vacuum line off and pumped the cleaner in through there (like it says on the instructions) but oh well....lesson learned. I let it heat soak for an hour per the directions and then put it on the highway at 65-70 mph for a solid 30 minutes. The initial few minutes getting to the freeway the car was a little confused and suffered a momentary hesitation but I think it may have had to do with the fact it tripped a pending CEL code due to the missing vacuum line during the cleaning process. The more I drove it, the happier it became.

Despite my hunch that this would do absolutely nothing on such a low-mileage car, here are my observations:
  • Low end and mid-range response is vastly improved
  • The car pulls quite a bit harder and seems to breathe better
  • It's a bit early to tell but initial results show a fuel economy improvement, as well
So far I recommend this to anyone who wants to try it. It seems to perform as advertised.

IMG_5458.JPG

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Interesting. I cleaned out my valves manually with picks and walnut blast lat year. Didn't seem to change anything, but that's besides the point.

I tried using CRC directly on the valves to soften up carbon for the cleaning process. Didn't seem to do a thing for me other than get it wet. I found throttle body cleaner to be more effective.

However, I do concede that I didn't use it as intended under those conditions. I still have the can with plenty left in it from the cleaning. Maybe I'll give it a proper chance one day when carbon has built up again.

But honestly, a walnut blast isn't difficult on this car provided that you have a big enough compressor to do it with. Doing that every 3 or 4 years isn't a big deal to me. Still, can't argue with doing less work. The bag of walnut media costs more than the can of CRC!

I'm not exactly optimistic about what it will do, but hey I'll give it a go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts