2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my car almost 1 year ago today. Beginning in about April I began to see what appears to be about a million tiny rock chips. Figured no way and did what I could do to clean the glass. Scraped it, clayed it, steel wooled it, polished it. Nothing came off. Spots are still there. The glass looks like it is 15 years old. Keep in mind that I have only 5500 miles at this point. Ninety percent of my driving is at or below 35 mph. So when I went to the dealer two weeks ago to have my infotainment updated I brought up the windshield. Was told that the only one who can agree to warranty glass is the regional manager. Well tomorrow is the day that I have it inspected. Hoping things go my way for a change. But not feeling confident as most manufacturers don't even want to warranty things that they 100% should. Will post back tomorrow

Don

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stopped by the dealership this morning for the District Manager to have a look see. Had the DM, Service Manager, and Head Tech looking at it. After an hour and a half of them trying to clean the glass the SM decided to replace the windshield. Funny thing is I mentioned that I thought the issue was in the laminate between the glass. Now get this. The head tech says that this is one piece of glass not two pieces. I had to hold my laughter. He also was trying to say that the million dots were stone chips. He had one theory as to why a windshield can get stone chips but the surrounding paint would have none. Because a dump truck is higher than the hood so the sand, gravel, stones, etc would miss the hood and hit the windshield directly. Thankfully the DM paid his comments no mind. But just happy they are replacing it.

Don

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Glad to hear they did the right thing and hope the new glass stays clean(er) and clear(er)....

·
Mazda Fan
69 Posts
I have a chip in the middle of the windshield, noticed it after having the car for about a year. I was also wondering about it. I've never had such a windshield chip before.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Stopped by the dealership this morning for the District Manager to have a look see. Had the DM, Service Manager, and Head Tech looking at it. After an hour and a half of them trying to clean the glass the SM decided to replace the windshield. Funny thing is I mentioned that I thought the issue was in the laminate between the glass. Now get this. The head tech says that this is one piece of glass not two pieces. I had to hold my laughter. He also was trying to say that the million dots were stone chips. He had one theory as to why a windshield can get stone chips but the surrounding paint would have none. Because a dump truck is higher than the hood so the sand, gravel, stones, etc would miss the hood and hit the windshield directly. Thankfully the DM paid his comments no mind. But just happy they are replacing it.

Don
LOL so tech thinks you would only find and follow dump trucks on the highway and the debris fallen from the truck has a cut off line somewhere around the bottom of your windshield.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently this tech believes that Mazda doesn't use government mandated laminated windshields, and that falling debris from dump trucks, hits glass only. He is such a tool. My guess is he is the one that does whatever possible to deny warranty work. Anyway I got the call today that the glass came in. Dropped the car off this afternoon and should have it back tomorrow. I also told them to replace the wiper blades, at my cost, of course. They loaned me a 2015 Nissan Altima. Now I understand the driving characteristics of the CVT. Not a fan. Although it is very smooth it is also very strange. I'll take a real trans over the CVT anyday.

Don

·
Registered
574 Posts
Haha, I'm not sure that tech is qualified to be a tech. LOL

I've seen similar rock chips in my windshield. I know the dealer won't replace my windshield though... a few months ago driving down the freeway to a customer site I saw a handful of rocks drop off the back of a gravel truck a couple lanes over. Wouldn't you know, I saw one fly right towards me and it hit the windshield just a couple inches from the frame/pillar. Took a chunk out of the exterior layer, but didn't break past that. The glass company did a repair and it's about as good as you can expect from a resin fill/repair.

When I started really looking at the glass when I got to my destination, I noticed a bunch of little dings in the glass. Same boat as you, I can't really clean them up at all. I have a couple small specs in the front of the hood, but nothing like the windshield. It's like anything that hits the windshield leaves a mark.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah but my windshield was riddled with these spots. Literally millions of them. Every square inch of the glass had these spots. Driving into the sun was kind of dangerous. Well they replace the glass today and time will tell if any issues arise again.

Don

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it seems I was lied to. The "new" windshield has the same issue as the "old" one. I put those words in quotes as I believe they never changed the glass. Driving home yesterday I saw a shit ton of spots again. So I started by trying to clean and clean and clean some more. No dice. So I stopped by the "stealership" this afternoon after work. I approached the service manager and told him we have a problem.

SM: What problem?
Me: With the windshield
SM: What is the issue
Me: Either the windshield hasn't been changed or the new windshield has the same "exact" issue as the old one
SM: No way I watched the glass being changed. That is a new windshield. It cost $1,100.
Me: Well something has to be done because the problem hasn't been fixed
SM: I have been here for 8 years and have never changed a windshield before.
Me: You think I want to be here complaining about this? Glass should be "clear" not speckled

So I try and show him the issue again and the sun had set already. So I go back tomorrow earlier than today to show him. After getting home I decided to check on the price of the glass. Tasca has the glass for about $245. So this guy seems to be a habitual liar. Here is exactly what I think they did. They had my car for a day. They tried polishing my original glass. And now won't accept the fact that they were caught in a lie. Not sure how to escalate this. Mazda will believe their own employees before me the average joe.

Here were my warning signs.

1) Was told on original service date that windshield was ordered and will take 2-3 days to arrive. Got a call the very next day and was told glass already arrived. They wanted the car the next day as their glass guy would do the install in the AM and I would receive a call by noon or so. Was told the glass guy would put the blue tape around the edges and to leave it on for a day. I also told them to change the wipers as I didn't want old wipers against the fresh glass.

2) Never got the call and showed up at the stealership after work. My car was in the drop off bay all wet with rain. New wipers hadn't been installed. No blue tape. Head tech asked SM why glass guy hadn't put tape around the edges. As I was leaving the SM asked me if everything was alright now? My reply was it had to be right? It is new glass afterall.

3) No smell in the interior of the car of the urethane that holds the glass in. I have had new windshields installed and you can smell the urethane for a few days. Also every molding and rubber seal is in absolutely perfect position. That would have been a first. Glass installers always seem to get at least one piece to not sit exactly right.

Too many inconsistencies adds up to them not doing what they were supposed to do. I have been nice so far. But everyone who knows who I really am knows how mean and nasty I can get when someone tried playing me. Tomorrow will tell who they will see. The nice guy or the Dhead. Will update tomorrow

Don

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Correction

Tasca has the glass for $295 not $245. That is before shipping.

Don

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I decided to contact Mazda USA. They are involved and will contact the SM tomorrow. I shall see if that helps or hurts

Don

·
Registered
574 Posts
So I decided to contact Mazda USA. They are involved and will contact the SM tomorrow. I shall see if that helps or hurts

Don
Wow, that was fast. I hope they really do get the ball rolling that fast and get you taken care of!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Visit to the stealer this afternoon didn't go well. SM says he can't see the issue and I have to once again wait for the district manager to show up one day next month. That is when I lost my cool. Told him he is a liar and never changed the glass. He says yes he did. This went on for about half a minute and then I told him I am done here and he can tell corporate to close the file and I will buy a windshield from Safelite out of my pocket. After getting home I contacted corporate and told them what had happened. I then asked if Mazda would okay me going to a different dealership to have the glass inspected. This time just to get a yes or no if they think the windshield in my car, in their opinion, is a new piece. Corporate said yes and that in the interim they will gather whatever paperwork they can from stealer number 1. I am going to another dealer on Friday morning. What an ordeal

Don

·
Registered
574 Posts
man, that sucks. At least corporate is cool about the whole thing, so far. It kinda sounds like they're not happy with the stealership. I hope Friday goes better.

·
Registered
297 Posts
FYI - I had my windshield changed under warranty at 25K for the same issue. Now at 50K and the pitting is back again. It's not a good windshield and or the aerodynamics of the car is causing the window to take the brunt of the force. The issue will never go away.... :(

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I went to dealer number 2 this morning. Spoke to service personnel and tried to explain the situation. Rude woman just wanted to talk over me and advise me that DM needs to okay anything. When I finally got her to shut the hell up I told her I just need someone to look at the windshield so that when Mazda USA calls on Monday they can verify that the glass is shit. She finally agrees to go out to my car to look. I get the car positioned perfectly and tell her to block the sun with the visor and look at the glass. She was too stupid to follow instructions and decided to continue to look directly at the sun. Her response "I can't see anything, I can't see anything". Frustration took over, I told her off, and left. Screw Mazda service departments in my area. I will wait until springtime as that is when this issue will once again rear its ugly head. I will have an aftermarket windshield installed on my 5,000 or so dimes. I will contact Mazda USA on Monday and inform them to just look at dealer number 1's records to confirm or deny they actually ordered, received, and installed a new windshield. If that checks out I will tell them to close out the case as I am done. If it doesn't check out I will ask them to force dealer number 1 to purchase and install a new windshield but only with myself present to watch the process. What a pain in the ass for something so simple

Don

·
Registered
54 Posts
My windshied got hit by a small rock and a few minutes later it ran almost all way across.That was about 15k miles ago.Safelite put new one in $450.Made by german co. in u.s.No problems so far.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts