2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Europe road trip is in 3 weeks and still no 2016 map updates, but anyway...

I am not sure I would use this sat nav as I have a feeling, it's logic is completely crazy.

At least for ireland, whenever I use it to take me to countryside, I have a feeling it always chooses the worst possible route.

When I compare it with google maps or anything else, competition always chooses better quality roads which may end up being a bit longer in distance, but definitely shorter in time.

I am using the default route setting which is the fastest. Apparently the fastest for the in built nav means shortest, no matter how crappy the road quality is.

Any similar experiences or advices?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, Google Maps is light years ahead (especially since it takes into account traffic!). I have found that if I set my Mazda Nav to use "easiest route" I get closer to what Google calculates so that you stick to main roads even if they're slightly longer distances. Still get some weird routes but at least they're not *as* bad.

It's too bad our nav isn't better, I end up using Google Maps more often than not....

·
Registered
163 Posts
It really doesn't want you to do U turns either. It will route you miles away in order to prevent a U turn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Google Maps is light years ahead (especially since it takes into account traffic!). I have found that if I set my Mazda Nav to use "easiest route" I get closer to what Google calculates so that you stick to main roads even if they're slightly longer distances. Still get some weird routes but at least they're not *as* bad.

It's too bad our nav isn't better, I end up using Google Maps more often than not....

Easiest route? I have only three settings in route calculation: fastest, shortest and most economical. I presume the economical one might be what you are saying?

There is a live traffic option, live services, which I tried out for a month but have no idea how well it works. It costs around 60 euro for one year so no way I will be using that. For 25 euro I got Sygic with Europe maps and live traffic info for 25 euro... Lifetime... Choice is obvious, more versatile, easier access.

I regret spending 650 euro for Mazda navigation, I guess. However it will always be as a backup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In Australia here and its actually not too bad. I've used a lot worse 'built-in' systems in the past and was pleasantly surprised at how good the Mazda's is.

I was a heavy googlemaps user before this and still believe it is far superior than anything else. But I can live with Mazda's nav system.

·
Registered
76 Posts
After few months using across Croatia, it's ok, but still not worth 600 EUR...
That's why good people cracked it! ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
In Australia here and its actually not too bad. I've used a lot worse 'built-in' systems in the past and was pleasantly surprised at how good the Mazda's is.

I was a heavy googlemaps user before this and still believe it is far superior than anything else. But I can live with Mazda's nav system.
It is good as it's using Here-maps. And it's awesome on the latest iOS/Android-apps that was recently updated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts