2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this Forum, although I've read posts on it before. I have a 2010 Mazda3 hatch. Has anyone every had an issue in this car with a sound that's like a very faint sparking or crackling sound that seems to come from the instrument cluster? I've been noticing this lately when I start up in the morning, but it goes away after driving a mile or so. It seems to be there more on colder mornings, not in the afternoon when the sun has warmed the car. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I occasionally have the same problem with my 2010 Mazda 3. No permanent solution when it happens but I usually press on the dash around the middle display and the vibrating noise goes away. Let me know if you find a permanent solution!

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Possibly the motor/fan warming up in the center console. I'm pretty sure there is one for the center dash with the stereo and such or possibly just the stereo powering up? I'm pretty sure you will be fine.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
My center console always creaks a tad when I let the clutch out. I'll pay attention and see if I find what you're talking about.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
yeah I have that same thing, I always guessed it was some mechanism that had to do with preparing the airbags incase of a crash.. my car does this too when I shut it off. turn it off then it is like . hummmmmmm pshhhh ( like air sound )

I always guessed something airbag related lol but I could be completely off

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm new to this Forum, although I've read posts on it before. I have a 2010 Mazda3 hatch. Has anyone every had an issue in this car with a sound that's like a very faint sparking or crackling sound that seems to come from the instrument cluster? I've been noticing this lately when I start up in the morning, but it goes away after driving a mile or so. It seems to be there more on colder mornings, not in the afternoon when the sun has warmed the car. Any ideas?
I had it for about 2 years before i became fed up with it, it turned out to be the dash tabs the contact the body.under glass... my fix, i took 1/2" foam and stuffed it with a interior plastic trim tool all along the window. noise is gone. if i remember right theres also a tsb out for this...i'll take a look later

Reactions: tagirl51

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was having this happen yesterday, I had the vents closed for the ac, and the ac was still on at 1, I turned it off and it stopped... Doubt it's the same thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sparking or crackling sound from dash

Thanks to the members who responded to my post. Some good suggestions. I've read numerous posts on this and other forums about various rattles, clicks, etc in Mazda3s. Seems to be just the way they are, but most can be fixed with a little work and various padding materials. I've found that black felt (matches my black dash) worked in between various panels where they touch does a great job of quieting things down. I'll try working some black closed cell foam I have from adding soundproofing to my hatch along the base of the windshield to see if this helps the crackling, clicking sound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've got a nice ticking/crackling sound coming from the area where the windshield contacts the plastic cowel around the wiper blades (which is one they have a TSB for)........probably do something about it this summer, maybe. I'm starting to get used to it. Another day, another noise/sound/rattle...........

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my Mazda turned out to be the air vent. I just turn the button that shows air flow on/off and the clicking stops immediately (Except when set to dashboard setting)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts