2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I recently replaced my valve cover gaskets and rented a torque wrench from my local auto zone to torque the bolts down properly. Unfortunately, their tool didn’t work right so I over tightened the center bolt closest to the oil fill cap and it cracked the plastic valve cover. I was wondering if anyone knows if other years or model valve covers will fit my car? I drive a 2010 Mazda 3 sport 2.5L hatchback. Looking at the 2.3L first gen 3’s, it looks the same and I believe it uses the same valve cover gaskets. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
What sort of torque wrench did you use? Did you follow the correct bolt sequence?
If you need a new valve cover, just check part numbers. They are all the same for the Mazda 3 L engines.

In case you haven't looked, a new valve cover is ~$250 dollars. 😲 Start calling the local junk yards....and go to Harbor Freight and buy the right torque wrench.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure but it was the rented 3/8 one from Auto Zone. I followed the instructions that came with it. I followed a guide online for the bolt sequence of tightening and the torque of about 80inch pounds but the very first attempt already cracked it... I turned the torque wrench to the lowest setting of 20 inch pounds and tried to tighten down something in my garage and it made no difference... should’ve tested it out before actually thinking it would be functioning properly

I checked the part number on my valve cover. It shows as L502 10 210. When looking it up, it only says for 10-13.
I tried looking up my junkyards and they only have 04-08 Mazda 3’s.
That’s why I’m trying to see if anyone knows if the 2.3L one will work too. To me it looks the same but I also cracked the damn thing so what do I know... This is also my first Mazda so I don’t know much about them.

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
I’m not sure but it was the rented 3/8 one from Auto Zone. I followed the instructions that came with it. I followed a guide online for the bolt sequence of tightening and the torque of about 80inch pounds but the very first attempt already cracked it... I turned the torque wrench to the lowest setting of 20 inch pounds and tried to tighten down something in my garage and it made no difference... should’ve tested it out before actually thinking it would be functioning properly

I checked the part number on my valve cover. It shows as L502 10 210. When looking it up, it only says for 10-13.
I tried looking up my junkyards and they only have 04-08 Mazda 3’s.
That’s why I’m trying to see if anyone knows if the 2.3L one will work too. To me it looks the same but I also cracked the damn thing so what do I know... This is also my first Mazda so I don’t know much about them.
But you think the 2.3L one with work the same right?
Thanks for your response btw.
First, get a good torque wrench. Go to Harbor Freight and get the 1/4" drive 20-200 in/lb wrench for $10, it will do what you need to do.
Are you sure the wrench you got was in/lbs?

Did you look at the link to the parts in the post above? Its for 2010 cars....
  • SKU:L502-10-210E
  • Other Names:Cover Cylinder Head
  • Description:
    MAZDA3
  • Notes:Includes: Gaskets.
  • Applications:2.3L. 2.5L. 2.0L W/O SKYACTIV-G.
  • Replaces:L3Y1-10-210A, L502-10-210B, L502-10-210C, L502-10-210D, L512-10-210A, L512-10-210B

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, get a good torque wrench. Go to Harbor Freight and get the 1/4" drive 20-200 in/lb wrench for $10, it will do what you need to do.
Are you sure the wrench you got was in/lbs?

Did you look at the link to the parts in the post above? Its for 2010 cars....
  • SKU:L502-10-210E
  • Other Names:Cover Cylinder Head
  • Description:
    MAZDA3
  • Notes:Includes: Gaskets.
  • Applications:2.3L. 2.5L. 2.0L W/O SKYACTIV-G.
  • Replaces:L3Y1-10-210A, L502-10-210B, L502-10-210C, L502-10-210D, L512-10-210A, L512-10-210B
Yes I read it, I just didn’t know they made a 3 in 2010 with 2.3L engines. But I think it was meant for the Mazda 5. Good thing I found a 5 at a junkyard. Hopefully it works! Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update.
I ended up going to the local pick-n-pull and pulled a valve cover off of a 2007 Mazda 3i 2.0L. Everything seems to fit fine except now I get kind of a shake and my rpm dips lower than 650 on idle. Gonna take out my coil packs and spark plugs and clean them Incase any oil got on them. I’ll post some pics of the valve covers. The bottom one is my old one from the L5 motor. Top is from the L3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts