2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the title pretty much says it all. I recently discovered my right fog glass is cracked (to the point of having a huge hole in it) and am looking for replacement glass. I plan to replace the glass and then cover them with yellow lamin-x type film. I probably should have done this way back when I first thought about it and maybe it would have protected the glass a bit.

Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated. Thanks in advance forum members.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i would look on ebay..but i think they only have the whole fog light not just the glass part..hmm have u tried calling the dealer asking them for help

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have the same problem too, cracked the driver's side fog light lens, though I wouldn't say I have a hole in it, just cracked lens. Since I didn't have any holes on my fog light, I was actually thinking of simply covering it up with Lamin-X film and worry about it when it becomes a bigger problem than it is. The reason for doing so is that I found out that getting our fog lights fixed means us having to buy the entire fog light assembly itself. That plus the labor for having it replaced at the dealership means we're going to spend at least 200 dollars for it. DIY replacement means taking off your front bumper, but I think there is a "how to" guide on this that can help if you want to take this route. It is certainly more pricey to get it fixed at the dealership, but I think you can buy some aftermarket replacements for our fog lights. Check the links below, these are what i found though i can't say for sure they are legit since I haven't bought any.

Amazon.com: TYC 19-5970-00 Replacement Driver Side Fog Lamp for Mazda Mazda3: Automotive

2010-2011 Mazda3 2.5L Fog Light Driving Light LH | eBay

Reactions: Carmagnut

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i would look on ebay..but i think they only have the whole fog light not just the glass part..hmm have u tried calling the dealer asking them for help
I just noticed it on Friday night and the dealerships are closed (service anyway). I potentially want to stay away from them as I like to avoid being takien behind the wood shed whenever possible. I did look on onlinemazdaparts.com and it seems they may have what I'm looking for but before these replies I was not sure if I can just get away with replacing just the glass or the whole unit.

how did it happen, can you post a pic of it?
I have no idea how it happen and pics may take a bit as I am busy. I will try and get to it though. It is more of a matter of remembering to walk out of the house with a camera than anything. :tongue:

I have the same problem too, cracked the driver's side fog light lens, though I wouldn't say I have a hole in it, just cracked lens. Since I didn't have any holes on my fog light, I was actually thinking of simply covering it up with Lamin-X film and worry about it when it becomes a bigger problem than it is. The reason for doing so is that I found out that getting our fog lights fixed means us having to buy the entire fog light assembly itself. That plus the labor for having it replaced at the dealership means we're going to spend at least 200 dollars for it. DIY replacement means taking off your front bumper, but I think there is a "how to" guide on this that can help if you want to take this route. It is certainly more pricey to get it fixed at the dealership, but I think you can buy some aftermarket replacements for our fog lights. Check the links below, these are what i found though i can't say for sure they are legit since I haven't bought any.
I checked out the how-to guide and it does no seem that bad overall but I am defintely not mr. do-it-himself. Thanks for the links. I will check them out... If it wasn't so busted up I probably would just cover it up with Lamin X but that is not an option at this point. I am not looking to shell out 200 at this point; I have bigger fish to fry, ya know. I would take it to my local perforamnce guys and bother them with it before I took it to the dealership. I trust them and thier labor charge is reasonable.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I noticed the cracked fog is not functional and I am most likely just going to have to replace the whole unit.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I noticed the cracked fog is not functional and I am most likely just going to have to replace the whole unit.
That's unfortunate man. Mine still works as it doesn't really have a hole in the lens. In fact my bro just took a pic of the lights on and it still looked like normal. I don't know how long it will last though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^
Yeah, I'm not thrilled about paying $200 plus for a foglight...plus labor the labor if I don't feel like doing a DIY. This is one way to fuel the economy with money flowing out of my into the hands of businesses :001_unsure:

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
check out car-part.com lots of junk yards post used car parts there for a good price. sometimes you can negotiate and get it for less.

also, would lamin-x type stuff really help against rock chips? Think spending a little to get them covered is a lot better than having to replace it haha

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
ugh.. so I found out my driver side fog lamp is cracked.. still works but the crack goes from one corner to the other.

So any thoughts on lamin-x stuff? thinking of getting clear or smoked ones to help protect it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I still haven't had my driver's side fog lamp fixed and it's probably nearing half a year now since it cracked. It is still working though suprisingly. If I get it fixed or if i get a new car, i'm definitely gonna put some protective films right away.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
I still haven't had my driver's side fog lamp fixed and it's probably nearing half a year now since it cracked. It is still working though suprisingly. If I get it fixed or if i get a new car, i'm definitely gonna put some protective films right away.
Yea mine works fine. I was going to order the protective film but see no reason since if it gets it again, its gonna break no matter what haha guess I'll just start looking for a used replacement haha

I have my doubts about the protective films though..does it really protect it from cracking if something hits the light?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is still busted and I no longer use the fogs. I hate driving with just one on. I can be so picky at times. : )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts