2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys noticed that CP-E has released a TMIC for the gen 2 MS3? It is listed for $350. By far the cheapest I have come across.

I don’t understand how CP-E is $200+ cheaper than the ETS or StreetUnit TMIC. Do you think it is the same quality as the other two? Usually CP-E has great quality products.

·
Street Unit - Ninja Killa
507 Posts
I dont want one.. But I'd rather buy CP-E

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The price differences in these things usually come down to the quality and quantity of the materials used. An example might be the cooling capacity and the grade of stainless they use on one brand vs. the other. Research!
The company with the lesser product will usually omit key specs. Kinda like lying by omission.

·
Registered
164 Posts
for what its worth...

im sure CP-E and CS TMICs are fine - a lot cheaper for sure, but I wouldnt say thats directly related to quality in this case

ETS (and SU) were the only two options for a while, so I think they could basically charge what they wanted to for them, within reason - that and it seems ETS/SU were probably custom fit in house - which im sure is as/more costly as the materials to actually make the inter cooler - so those "sunk costs" are offset by higher prices - which is only possible because there were only two options out there

I would be willing to bet, that the prices of both ETS and SU TMICs will drop soon

I can personally vouch for the quality of the ETS TIMC - its great, but I also have a few CS products on my car, and they are well made also - dont have anything from CP-E... yet - but they have a good reputation, seem like some very smart guys and very honest

even if they sold you a total POS (which i doubt) - they seem like the kind of companies that would make it right

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will agree that SU and ETS will have to drop prices now considering CS and CP-E are in the game. That said, a $350 for TMIC + $300 for KMD internals (for HPFP) is a bit more affordable to do my next mods.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Forgive the newbness, but what is a TMIC?
Top Mount InterCooler, it's what cools the air going in to your engine from the turbo, big silver thing with a black cover that the hood scoop feeds air to :tongue:

Reactions: Frosty

·
Registered
22 Posts
i honestly would not do the internals, i would suck it up and do the whole pump. Buddy of mine had a GTI and he did the internals on his pump, they weren't installed correctly ( the tolerances are down to a few 1/1000 of an inch) and since his pump ( like ours) is cam driven, when the pump seized it annihilated his camshaft. an otherwise $1500 fix if he didnt have a hook up to have it done under warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm... You are making this hard on me. Maybe if I get a nice chunk of money for my tax return it would make my decision much easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts