2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my Mazda3 GT HB on Saturday and was wondering what kind of break-in procedure you guys recommend. The manual says no special break-in is needed but they recommend 600 miles of easy driving can increase performance and life of the engine..that seems a little short to me haha

I've been keeping the rpm under 3000 and havent gone over 60mph and avoid hard accelerations but feel like i'm doing something wrong. This is my first new car so really wanna do things right the first time. any tips are welcomed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got a 2011 5-door and the manual/filler cap now states 0w-20 (5w-20 still an option) which means the factory fill oil you have in there is synthetic since you can't get dino (non-synthetic) down to 0 grade. I'm changing out this factory fill at the 500 mile mark and will probably run dino or syn-blend until the 2nd change at 5k. After that it's full syn 5w-20 every 5k for the life of this little rat. Oil changes on this are 1/4 the time compared to my 2008.5 Mazda3 since the 2011's have spin on filters and easy access, no need to remove any plastic under-guards.

The 500 mile first change might be a bit much for some, but I like to get out the left over millings/shavings ASAP, you can actually see them in your first oil filter. I'm going to go with the 5k interval, even with full synthetic. It's cheap insurance in my opinion, well at least if you change it yourself and get your oil from a wholesale club. The issue with long change intervals is that the filter loads up and stops being really effective, and at least with dino non-synthetic oil you run into the issue of sludge build up, synthetic pretty much doesn't have this problem.

I'm sure whatever you choose to do (syn vs. non-syn, 5k or 7.5k, etc.) as long as you keep to your schedule and don't neglect I'm sure the engine will be fine, I'm just over protective.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh, and no high RPM's for the first 600-1k miles or so is good practice.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Reactions: HJLee
1 - 4 of 4 Posts