2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that thought that CorkSport was releasing their FMIC not a TMIC? I understand that products take time to develop, but their project car page said that the FMIC was supposed to come out summer 2010. And now this TMIC will not be released until March! What the heck?

If I wanted a TMIC I just would have bought the ETS one, heard it was pretty good. :argh 1:

·
Kambo
167 Posts
What is a TMIC or a FMIC is this something i'm going to want? :shocked:

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
What is a TMIC or a FMIC is this something i'm going to want? :shocked:
Top & Front mounted intercoolers...for turbo cars.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Am I the only one that thought that CorkSport was releasing their FMIC not a TMIC? I understand that products take time to develop, but their project car page said that the FMIC was supposed to come out summer 2010. And now this TMIC will not be released until March! What the heck?

If I wanted a TMIC I just would have bought the ETS one, heard it was pretty good. :argh 1:
I'm not sure what your question/issue is (or why you seem agitated over it) but CorkSport is releasing both a TMIC and a FMIC...in fact, a couple people already have the FMIC and RAM Air installed on their vehicles. I think that a wide release for the FMIC in imminent. Give them a call...I'm sure they can help you get what you need/want.

·
Street Unit - Ninja Killa
507 Posts
But what most people dont realize is that if you get a FMIC or a TMIC is that you will need a new HPFP. which cost as much as the intercooler itself. so take the 550-600 you want to spend on the TMIC/FMIC and double it. turn 600 to 1200.. that stopped me from wanting one altogether.

CP-E seems to be the best HPFP and it is over $600 for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am a bit agitated because when I ordered other parts from them last summer they said that the TMIC would be released summer 2010. That was seven months ago and I think that is a good reason to become agitated.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I am a bit agitated because when I ordered other parts from them last summer they said that the TMIC would be released summer 2010. That was seven months ago and I think that is a good reason to become agitated.
Well, unless you've given them money then it's really not that big of a deal (IMO). If you're in that much of a hurry then perhaps look to other manufacturers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But what most people dont realize is that if you get a FMIC or a TMIC is that you will need a new HPFP. which cost as much as the intercooler itself. so take the 550-600 you want to spend on the TMIC/FMIC and double it. turn 600 to 1200.. that stopped me from wanting one altogether.

CP-E seems to be the best HPFP and it is over $600 for it.
Is it really necessary to get a new HPFP with a TMIC? If I set up my car with SRI, TIP, and TMIC I will run dangerously lean?

·
Registered
164 Posts
thats exactly the set up i have - short ram + intake + TMIC (ETS is the one i went for)

i do not have a fuel pump yet - plan to get one soon though

i dont have anyway of logging data, ive called 1 tune shop in the area hoping i could borrow a logging device of some sort, or have them do it, but they dont do anything with mazdas they said

however - i think the car runs fine, its probably leaner than it should be, especially in the cold, but i think its probably OK

HOWEVER - ive been following the MSF thread about the Cobb AP alpha testing - and it seems that if you do ANYTHING with the exhaust, a new fuel pump is a must - thats what ive gathered so far

i think you can get by without, provided you dont touch the exhaust

ill see what i can do about getting some data down - and ill post it if im able to

·
Registered
238 Posts
i have the ETS TMIC, i love it. Why wait for the Cork? Why go FMIC, when the car works better with the TMIC. If you go with the FMIC, you will wait longer for your turbo to spool.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the following engine mods:
-CorkSport short ram intake, Cobb downpipe, Forge BPV
To this point, I have not experienced any sort of fuel issue, no pinging or knocks, nothing. However, I did experience some bad heat issues over the summer months. I want to replace the TMIC with a higher flowing TMIC or a FMIC, but I don't want to get into the whole fuel pump/tuning issue. As I said, the car has had no fuel issues to this point and is noticeably faster from the mods thus far. I just don't want to break the bank with a fuel pump and all that. I'm only looking to solve the engine's heat problems, not looking for max power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
UPS delivering Corksport FMIC ram air on Tuesday and installing next Sunday. Will get pics and hopefully another dyno to add up all my mods so far. Hoping for around 300whp.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So if I'm seeing this right, the CorkSport FMIC replaces the TMIC with the air filter? So the hood scoop is still functional, it just directs air right to the filter?

So you get FMIC + intake for basically the same price as a decent intake and aftermarket TMIC? Sounds like a pretty sweet setup, can't wait to see dyno numbers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the following engine mods:
-CorkSport short ram intake, Cobb downpipe, Forge BPV
To this point, I have not experienced any sort of fuel issue, no pinging or knocks, nothing. However, I did experience some bad heat issues over the summer months. I want to replace the TMIC with a higher flowing TMIC or a FMIC, but I don't want to get into the whole fuel pump/tuning issue. As I said, the car has had no fuel issues to this point and is noticeably faster from the mods thus far. I just don't want to break the bank with a fuel pump and all that. I'm only looking to solve the engine's heat problems, not looking for max power.
im always in the MSF forum, i did a "how to" for upgrading you Fuel pump internals.

according to COBB, some vehicles with an upgraded SRI have been seen to need an upgraded HPFP or internals.

you have a DP, so that definatly screams for upgraded fuel pump or internals. its gonna be worse with a TMIC or FMIC

you wont know if u are fuel cutting. u have to monitor the DI fuel pressure doin WOT.

everyone is using the COBB AP to run logs and i can assure you that u will probably need to upgrade ur fuel pump

1 - 20 of 21 Posts