2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used Corksport SRI for my 2011 2.5 hatch this past Winter 2013. It worked great the first week, then a CEL showed up. It's been on and off intermittently for the past few months. It'll show up for a few days, then disappear, and return...

I have noticed when it's on, there is a slight delay or stutter in acceleration. It's kind of worrisome when I'm accelerating then the RPM's will "sputter" like the car is having trouble accelerating. Keep in mind this only lasts for about 1-2 seconds before it fixes itself once I give it more gas. This happens about once a week and I drive my car almost every day. I had it checked at Autozone and it showed a P0171 code, which I was told means my engine is running too lean.

I can't remember if other threads I read had this same issue and what they did to resolve it. Can anyone chime in on this? Is there a fix besides going back to stock intake? I would like to keep this as I love the engine sound it provides and the minimal (if any) power gains. It's mostly for the noise, I know lol. I'm hoping to hear back from the Corksport rep here, or I'll have to give them a call and ask.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you measure the inside diameter of the Aluminum MAF housing? I want to rule out any chance that the intake was for a 2.0L instead of a 2.5L.
I'll definitely measure it once I get home from work later today and update with pics. Do you mean the diameter from where the tube/filter goes or the diameter where the MAF sensor enters?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I measured both to be 3" diameters for the filter and tube sides. This measurement includes the wall thickness as well. Is this correct? My MAF sensor is in tight. If you noticed I have to keep the insert in diagonally. I never knew if this was a normal. The pics are giving me issues uploading.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the pics. I called corksport while waiting for a response here and was told my insert piece needed to be perpendicular to the MAF sensor and he had told me I had the correct size MAF housing based on these pics I sent to him. My vehicle CEL came on again 2 days ago and I have noticed the same "sputtering" and difficulty on acceleration about two times a day when I drive since the light came back on. It's troubling and scary at times when I'm accelerating and the car jerks stutters while accelerating. I'll see if I can get a video or something. Here are the pics for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
Did you seriously install the MAF housing with the air flow vanes crooked like that? LOL.

Are you still having issues after setting them in straight like CorkSport informed you?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you seriously install the MAF housing with the air flow vanes crooked like that? LOL.

Are you still having issues after setting them in straight like CorkSport informed you?
LOL indeed I did. I didn't realize inserting the other way would allow the perpendicular fitting. I swore I had tried it both ways but I guess I was too excited and just left it that way since it would only fit diagonally. I have now have it perpendicular as directed by Derek from Corksport and I still got the CEL and stutter during acceleration. I planned to get some of the RTV silicone sealant that was recommended and apply it tomorrow.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Try resetting the ECU. Perhaps it's still confused from the previous runs.

Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and then depress the brake pedal for a few seconds to drain any remaining current quickly. Then reconnect the battery and give it a go, after letting it idle for 5 minutes.

If you're still getting the CEL after that, perhaps there's something from with the intake...?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try resetting the ECU. Perhaps it's still confused from the previous runs.

Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and then depress the brake pedal for a few seconds to drain any remaining current quickly. Then reconnect the battery and give it a go, after letting it idle for 5 minutes.

If you're still getting the CEL after that, perhaps there's something from with the intake...?
I actually took the negative terminal off of the battery but never depressed the break pedal to drain current. The CEL still came on and I noticed the stuttering issue again yesterday. I'll give Cokrsport a call again tomorrow. I'm probably gonna go get the RTV sealant today or tomorrow. I cleaned the MAF sensor, so I'm wondering if I need to clean the filter...

·
Registered
2011 Mazda 3 2.5l GT, 6MT
44 Posts
I had a similar thing happen with my CS intake. Code was popping up and had the same shutter you described. When I pulled my intake, I noticed that the plastic insert had become detached and was resting inside the cone filter. I put the stock intake back on for the rest of the winter. The plastic piece is adhered back in place now but I'll wait to reinstall it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a similar thing happen with my CS intake. Code was popping up and had the same shutter you described. When I pulled my intake, I noticed that the plastic insert had become detached and was resting inside the cone filter. I put the stock intake back on for the rest of the winter. The plastic piece is adhered back in place now but I'll wait to reinstall it.
I debated putting the stock intake back in, but it's such a PITA and I love the sound too much to just give up on it. I noticed it usually only happens for the first few accelerations after I start the car. After the car has warmed up I noticed the stuttering doesn't occur.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I debated putting the stock intake back in, but it's such a PITA and I love the sound too much to just give up on it. I noticed it usually only happens for the first few accelerations after I start the car. After the car has warmed up I noticed the stuttering doesn't occur.
Seriously? Reinstalling the OEM box took me, literally 3 minutes from opening the hood and removing the SRI to closing the hood with the stock box installed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seriously? Reinstalling the OEM box took me, literally 3 minutes from opening the hood and removing the SRI to closing the hood with the stock box installed.
Considering how lazy I am, and that my broken hand that is in bulky cast, yes seriously. I just want something I invested money in to work so I want to keep it installed and find the solution.

·
Registered
2011 Mazda 3 2.5l GT, 6MT
44 Posts
It doesn't take much time at all actually. I just opted to do it because it happened this winter and I figured I'd just leave it out until spring. The plastic air channel had come unglued inside the intake so I had to get some adhesive to repair it. At -10F, I didn't feel like reinstalling it after it was fixed so I will wait until the weather warms up.

The sound is really nice with the SRI. I didn't see any huge gains in power but I can tell my engine is much happier with it installed. Highway MPG was also a little better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a similar issues with my CS CAI on my 3. I was going back and forth via email with CS so after all the pictures that I sent over we decided to send the CAI back to have them check everything out. Its going to finally get there tomorrow :w00t 1: I mean it took a whole week but whatever :eek:fftopic: but yeah putting back the stock one was fairly simple assuming you have the tools (10 mm socket and wrench lol ) but Im hoping to get everything back ASAP :thumbup 1:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a similar issues with my CS CAI on my 3. I was going back and forth via email with CS so after all the pictures that I sent over we decided to send the CAI back to have them check everything out. Its going to finally get there tomorrow :w00t 1: I mean it took a whole week but whatever :eek:fftopic: but yeah putting back the stock one was fairly simple assuming you have the tools (10 mm socket and wrench lol ) but Im hoping to get everything back ASAP :thumbup 1:
I think I may just call them again or send them an email. I applied the RTV silicone to the insert on my SRI and the CEL is still lit for what I'm assuming is the same code. I also noticed is the sputtering on acceleration again last night.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts