2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
KevinG620
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been sitting on corksport springs on stock struts since I think 30k. I'm now at 72k and one of the struts have a small leak. The ride quality has degraded a little over time but nothing too bad. I can't tell half the times if it's the shocks or the horrible roads in Hawaii. I noticed more noise and vibration from the wheels after I rotated them. I have 2 more years left on this island and wanted to wait until I get back on the mainland before I replace them. I don't want to put a new setup on and have these roads rapidly decrease the lifespan. The roads here are ridiculously bad. How long do you guys think I can go using corksport springs on stock struts before I have to replace all 4. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,141 Posts
If you are still on the original shocks at 72k its probably time to replace them regardless of what springs you have. CS springs with factory shocks is not ideal though.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Koni makes some good quality dampers.

They even have a new set out for the 3 called special active for lowered rides iirc.
CK
https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/#/topics/228823
Correct, Special active = newer/better version of FSD (had these, they were great) and they didn't change the price on the new ones!

OT: I would replace them anyway, hawaii is small so you shouldn't put too many miles on a new suspension in your remaining time to beat them up too bad especially if they are half way decent. Leaking / parts causing problems especially in suspension will affect yours and others safety.

·
KevinG620
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the late reply. I appreciate all of the feedback. I looked into the koni actives but I'm hesitant to purchase due to the lack of reviews. If I do end up buying them, will I be able to use the same springs or do I have to purchase new ones?

·
Super Moderator
6,141 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. I appreciate all of the feedback. I looked into the koni actives but I'm hesitant to purchase due to the lack of reviews. If I do end up buying them, will I be able to use the same springs or do I have to purchase new ones?
You'll be happy with the Konis. You won't need new springs, the CS springs will work.

·
Super Moderator
6,141 Posts
They will work but damper life will be shortened. Stock dampers are not really designed to work with lowered ride heights.

·
KevinG620
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They will work but damper life will be shortened. Stock dampers are not really designed to work with lowered ride heights.
Okay, I went ahead and just put my order in. They should be here within a month. I'll update you guys once I receive. I just hope I can successfully put them on myself.lol.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
This is correct.

All shocks and struts from the factory, are set up to handle specific spring rates. The factory springs, of course, being a less aggressive rate than aftermarket.

Stiffer and sportier springs act on the struts and shocks in a different manner because they have higher spring rates.

Because of this, it will wear and tear on the internals of the shocks and struts faster, and they may not last as long as they would have with the OE springs.

So, lowering springs will work fine with the OE shocks and struts for a while, but its “recommended” to upgrade if budget allows for the best overall reliability and ride quality.

Aftermarket shocks and struts like ours, or konis are designed to handle the stiffer rates and because of this, you will experience a better ride quality and the life should be extended.

However, knowing that he made it 72k miles on the OE’s and have terrible roads isn’t shabby at all.

[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts