2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The CS rear motor mount and trans mount made the biggest difference for me..RedLine MTL trans fluid.. CS short shift kit.. shifter base bushings.. Miata leather weighted shifter.. they helped too.

Shifting is much smoother now.
CK

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
49 Posts
A weighted shift knob would definately help reduce the notchy feel. OEM knob is really light. Corksport makes one. I have a Raceseng Sphereology knob.
Do you know this from experience? I considered getting a Blox or something similar.
I’ve heard people say this damages the transmission, but they obviously don’t know anything at all about how a car works. It’s always good for a short laugh when I see someone say something like that, though. ?

The CS rear motor mount and trans mount made the biggest difference for me..RedLine MTL trans fluid.. CS short shift kit.. shifter base bushings.. Miata leather weighted shifter.. they helped too.

Shifting is much smoother now.
CK
Yeah, I just put in the SS plate, bushings, and about to do the fluid. Already have plans to change the mounts as well. Are you saying the mounts made the most difference?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you know this from experience?
Yes, I've been using a weighted knob for almost 2 years.
IMO, the stock knob looks and feels cheap, so I installed a Raceseng "Sphereology" weighted shift knob. The heavier weight (470 grams vs 100-ish grams for the OEM knob) definitely smooths out the shifting noticeably. The Raceseng knob is impeccably constructed and finished. The satin finish also well matches the interior trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well I couldn’t talk myself in to spending that much on a shift knob. I got this one from “Cuztom Tuning”, it’s 570 grams. Will probably get hot and cold compared to the one you have but it was about $40. Can’t hurt to try it out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Edit*
Can the shifter linkage adjustment be done after installing this? I don’t see why not but just curious and thought I would ask if anyone has done it.
I answered my own question. Did the adjustment again and this time with the bushings and the short-shifter installed it moved 3 more threads than before and WOW! It made a huge difference this time compared to the first! I’m so glad I did it. I was thinking it wouldn’t have much of an effect judging by the minimal effect it had the first time but it worked so much better afterwards.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yeah, I just put in the SS plate, bushings, and about to do the fluid. Already have plans to change the mounts as well. Are you saying the mounts made the most difference?
Nice. The mounts really helped clean up the slop. Improved engine engagement and the shifting is more precise.
CK

·
Registered
49 Posts
Doesn’t look bad. Ghetto fix: I used a couple of my oem rubber bushings to make up the space difference. Cons: scratches fairly easily, gets pretty hot on a sunny day after sitting. Pros: It’s heavier than a fat girl holding a medicine ball. Improved my shift feel a bit.
I’ll probably make a custom leather cover for it. For $40 I think it’s a good deal.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Looks good. I used some metal washers under the shift boot to raise it up and sit flush with the shorter Miata shift knob.
20180718_115148.jpg
CK

·
Registered
49 Posts
Alright, big improvement here. I used an aluminum ring that gas companies use on their meters to fill the gap better. Worked absolutely perfectly. Looks a lot better than the bushings. If anyone gets this shift knob and needs one of these little rings pm me and I will mail you one for free. They’re hard to get unless you’re in the gas industry.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Alright, big improvement here. I used an aluminum ring that gas companies use on their meters to fill the gap better. Worked absolutely perfectly. Looks a lot better than the bushings. If anyone gets this shift knob and needs one of these little rings pm me and I will mail you one for free. They’re hard to get unless you’re in the gas industry.
Looks good! Sure easier than what I did which was to take apart the center console just to slip in 2 nylon washers underneath the boot.
Also, I read covering the metal knob with a sock can help keep it cooler in the summer.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts