2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
More free time than money
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My shifter bushing keeps popping off the assembly so I called corksport and they said they would look into it. Well I was driving yesterday and I hear a clunk and suddenly can only shift to neutral. That part fell off the assembly, out of my car, onto the road. Of course you can't buy just the bushing and my dealer wants 300 for the whole cable. (I'm a unemployed student, that's not happening).

EDIT 2
Well I just paid $180 for a new shifter cable (for a fkn $3 bushing). Corksport has only offered me a return for the shift plate, which does not solve my problem at all. Now that other people are having this problem I think it would great of them to offer a solution in good faith. In the few months I've owned this car I have spent at least $1000 on Corksport products. I love their products and would like to continue buying them, but how they have handled this really turns me off.

EDIT 1 @Kalevera took pictures of whats happening.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
My shifter bushing keeps popping off the assembly so I called corksport and they said they would look into it. Well I was driving yesterday and I hear a clunk and suddenly can only shift to neutral. That part fell off the assembly, out of my car, onto the road. Of course you can't buy just the bushing and my dealer wants 300 for the whole cable. (I'm a unemployment student, that's not happening).

Does anyone know where to get just the bushing? Or ship me one? :p
Damn I just ordered my CS ssp. Seeing this is making a bit weary of installing it. Are more ppl experiencing the same issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This happened to me too 3 times now. you can just pop the bushing back in the linkage. The angle on the SSP is a bit too high. I already contacted CS 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten a answer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This happened to me too 3 times now. you can just pop the bushing back in the linkage. The angle on the SSP is a bit too high. I already contacted CS 2 weeks ago and haven't gotten a answer.
Please update us when you hear back from CS. I am sure there are more guys out there who was planning to install their ssp.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's a damn shame when they don't appropriately address the issue when there are more than one person experiencing the same issue. When we purchase a car, we expect all the components to perform properly. When they don't, they offer warranty work to address, repair, or even relace them when necessary. All manufacturers should be held to the same standards.

The correct action CS should've taken was to offer to fully pay or even partially reimburse for the part which you had to replace due to the failure of their product. Offering you to send back the part for refund is more like slap in the face and telling you to F off.

I've already emailed them 2 days ago regarding this issue before I install the part but no reponse from them yet. Hopefully they can give me a better explanation before I follow though w the install.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Hey guys, I just had an official response sent to me about this issue. Sorry it has affected you, please let me know if I can help in anyway, or if you haven't submit a warranty form if you have this issue:

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=6250031a739844adaddfd91666d9c770

The team here at CorkSport Mazda Performance has been made aware of the recent issue pertaining to our short shift plate for the2014+ 3,6, and CX-5. We have been selling this plate for some while now and have not come across this issue before so this is something new to us as it is to the affected customers. We are addressing the issue and our working towards providing a solution to all those affected. Please bear with us as we look into getting this matter resolved. Please note that this is not an issue that can simply be resolved overnight, however we are working diligently in an effort to get this fixed.

For the time being if you have a SSP and are having an issue with the linkage popping off we recommend that you remove it and stick with the OEM unit for the time being till we can find an solution for what is causing this problem. If you wish to return the plate CorkSport will honor a refund of the plate to those affected. Should you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at 360-260-2675

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey guys, I just had an official response sent to me about this issue. Sorry it has affected you, please let me know if I can help in anyway, or if you haven't submit a warranty form if you have this issue:

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=6250031a739844adaddfd91666d9c770

The team here at CorkSport Mazda Performance has been made aware of the recent issue pertaining to our short shift plate for the2014+ 3,6, and CX-5. We have been selling this plate for some while now and have not come across this issue before so this is something new to us as it is to the affected customers. We are addressing the issue and our working towards providing a solution to all those affected. Please bear with us as we look into getting this matter resolved. Please note that this is not an issue that can simply be resolved overnight, however we are working diligently in an effort to get this fixed.

For the time being if you have a SSP and are having an issue with the linkage popping off we recommend that you remove it and stick with the OEM unit for the time being till we can find an solution for what is causing this problem. If you wish to return the plate CorkSport will honor a refund of the plate to those affected. Should you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at 360-260-2675
If you just recently purchased the product, do you advise that I wait until this is resolved and addressed before installing this SSP? I do not feel comfortable proceeding with the installation if there is a possibility of the part failing and possibly leaving me stranded on the road. Please advise.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you just recently purchased the product, do you advise that I wait until this is resolved and addressed before installing this SSP? I do not feel comfortable proceeding with the installation if there is a possibility of the part failing and possibly leaving me stranded on the road. Please advise.
I'd hold off if I were you, especially if you're already apprehensive about it. With that said, I've had my short shift plate installed since December and have not had any problems.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'd hold off if I were you, especially if you're already apprehensive about it. With that said, I've had my short shift plate installed since December and have not had any problems.
I actually received a call from one of the reps at CS regarding this matter. He advised that I can just hold off until this issue is resolved. Also he offered me a full refund for the purchase (I would be responsible for shipping the item back) if I did not feel comfortable proceeding with the install. Either way, I think I might just give it a go because they weren't able to give me any timeline when they were going to be able to find a solution to this. He also advised that he's sold 150+ units thus far and only 4 ppl have had this issue. So it looks like I will just cross my fingers and install the SSP this weekend. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I actually received a call from one of the reps at CS regarding this matter. He advised that I can just hold off until this issue is resolved. Also he offered me a full refund for the purchase (I would be responsible for shipping the item back) if I did not feel comfortable proceeding with the install. Either way, I think I might just give it a go because they weren't able to give me any timeline when they were going to be able to find a solution to this. He also advised that he's sold 150+ units thus far and only 4 ppl have had this issue. So it looks like I will just cross my fingers and install the SSP this weekend. :)

How did it go?

Sent from my iPhone 5

·
Registered
158 Posts
How did it go?

Sent from my iPhone 5
Unfortunately, I've been working 60-70 hrs / week without any weekends.. so no go on the install yet.. hopefully I can squeeze in the time to install the SSP real soon.. will definitely f/u with a review once I get it done

·
Registered
1 Posts
I already received an email from Corksport. I had the same issue where it popped off while I was driving; freaky stuff. Anyways, bushings are suppose to be added to account for the 22mm difference between the cable and linkage. Given an ETA Of 6-8 weeks for machining, powder coating... which from my field of work is understandable.

I was also told they tried to replicate the same issue, but with no luck. So the conclusion is that it varies in cars.

Corksport has given great support with this issue, in my opinion, even if I had to take off the plate for the time being.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
49 Posts
I know I’m dragging up an old post, but is this still an issue now? My wife just ordered me the short shifter plates and the bushings. I want to be aware if there’s a possibility of problems.

·
Rubber side down
241 Posts
I know I’m dragging up an old post, but is this still an issue now? My wife just ordered me the short shifter plates and the bushings. I want to be aware if there’s a possibility of problems.
I have had mine installed for over two years with zero issues. It seems to me that the failure is in an OEM component, not in the CS part itself, unless I am misunderstanding the images. I might suggest that it is due to user "error" in the sense that the driver might be slamming gears a little too fast and furiously. I do drive aggressively, but keep in mind that just because you are driving fast, does not mean you need to smack the shifter into gear. The same force should be applied whether you are cruising 50mph down the road or trying to beat your personal best lap time.

The other option might be that earlier versions of the shift plate did not include the 3 spacers for the cable mount to lift them up to the proper height to match the new height of the cables at the shift plate. Without those spacers, the angle of the shift cable may be putting undue stress on the OEM shift cable, and at a bad angle.

Either way, it has been nothing but reliable for me and I am sure countless others. Take your time, install it properly and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
CS short shift kit and shifter base bushings installed for some time without issue.

I also installed their rear motor mount and transmission motor mount. Great improvement in shifting.
CK

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The other option might be that earlier versions of the shift plate did not include the 3 spacers for the cable mount to lift them up to the proper height to match the new height of the cables at the shift plate. Without those spacers, the angle of the shift cable may be putting undue stress on the OEM shift cable, and at a bad angle.

Either way, it has been nothing but reliable for me and I am sure countless others. Take your time, install it properly and enjoy!
That is correct. CS was one of the first to offer this product and the early version didn't include the 2nd spacer piece.
CK

The triangle with 3 holes on the bottom right.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
49 Posts
Installed today. I took it for a short drive around the block. Initial impression is good. It does what it’s supposed to do. Installed the shifter bushings too. The two together haven’t improved the notchy feel at all, honestly. But the shifts feel somewhat more accurate. The shift is shorter and it feels more solid, I guess that’s better. I have Redline I’m about to get put in at a friend of mine’s shop next Friday. Hopefully that helps more.

Edit*
Can the shifter linkage adjustment be done after installing this? I don’t see why not but just curious and thought I would ask if anyone has done it.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
The two together haven’t improved the notchy feel at all, honestly.
A weighted shift knob would definately help reduce the notchy feel. OEM knob is really light. Corksport makes one. I have a Raceseng Sphereology knob.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts