2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

CorkSport Short Ram Intake Review

124K views 197 replies 77 participants last post by  dkeske 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys & gals, here's my review of the CorkSport SRI.

CorkSport probably isn't going to be too happy about the things I'm about to show but it is what it is... I expected better quality control on such simple things.

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MAF housing imperfections.

Here you can see some damage to the air flow vanes.

After fixing said issues with a dremel.

The threads on the clamps seemed WAY too long to me, after everything was tightened down, so I decided to bust out the dremel one more time.

Even after trimming the threads a bit, after I bolted everything in, they are still sticking out a good amount. It's not a big deal but with the threads being so long, my 10mm small socket wasn't deep enough to tighten the clamps with the threads getting in the way, so this had to be done.

This pic shows the final assembly and the amount of thread sticking out AFTER trimming.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now to the good part... OEM setup

CorkSport SRI. I left the factory air scoop in hopes of it delivering cold air to the intake. The outlet sits below the air filter, so water and stuff that might get in won't directly hit the air filter. CorkSport's instructions say to remove the entire OEM air box but I like thinking outside the box and don't see how leaving the scoop in place would do anything negative. If anything, it will help with cool air.

During my test drive, the SRI along with the CorkSport axle back exhaust is a great combo and the two parts definitely compliment each other and the result is an awesome engine growl and exhaust tone. I definitely recommend these two parts from CorkSport if you're looking to increase performance and sound. Overall the CorkSport intake is a very solid unit and I'm happy with my purchase.

I noticed better throttle response during my test drive but it could also be due to the engine torque mount polyurethane injection I did to help lessen engine movement, but I'll save that for another thread.

:thumbup 1:

Here's a video but keep in mind that I have the CorkSport intake & Exhaust on in this video.

See less See more
1 10
#6 ·
Could you elaborate on this?
I noticed better throttle response during my test drive but it could also be due to the engine torque mount polyurethane injection I did to help lessen engine movement, but I'll save that for another thread.

Engine torque mount polyurethane injection?

#10 ·
Reactions: jeremiah
#17 ·
I have always heard mix opinions about CAI and SRI. Mostly that the effect you get is mostly a placebo effect :-/ maybe a little better throttle response. But mostly the gain does not justify the cost.
For example check out the video below:

Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted - YouTube

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

That video is bogus. So they concluded that CAI's are BS based on that one test with one vehicle?!?

If the factory air box on that Skyline isn't restrictive, OF COURSE THERE WON'T BE ANY GAIN when you throw on another NONE RESTRICTIVE intake system

Now if they were to turn up the boost to the point where the factory air box got restrictive AND THEN compare THAT to a SRI or CAI that is a straight pipe and without any of the crazy bends that today's factory intake systems have, THEN there will be a very obvious gain in power.

My 07 Civic Si made 168whp on the dyno (its' rated @ 197hp at the crank) with ONLY a CAI, header and exhaust the engine made 203whp on the same dyno. Obviously the factory air box was restrictive and same applies for the factory exhaust system with CAT, etc, etc or else the aftermarket parts wouldn't have made power.

This video is bogus by all accounts. I now wish I would have dyno'd my 3 before and after these mods to see if any gains were realized by replacing the factory parts. It's too late for that now but if someone in Jacksonville FL wants to hit the dyno with me using their stock Mazda 3 with 2.0L and compare numbers, it will still show if gains were made or not.

Having said that, I got these parts mostly for the sound. My Mazda 3 ain't no performance machine, and adding an intake and exhaust certainly ain't gonna make is FASTER then stock, so I didn't purchase these parts for the performance aspect alone.

#13 ·
I can chime in,

We use loctite on the thread to #1 keep the stainless stand off and #2 prevent any air leaks around the threads. That is what is seen on the first picture as the goo.

The standoff threads inside the MAF housing are on the opposite side and within a cm of being parallel of where the MAF measures air passing so it will not have any effect on airflow. This is something which we had to make a decision on doing two different standoffs or using one. Since the airflow readings were not going to be affected and we did not want to add more cost into the intake we went with 1.

The plastic flashing on the air straightener should have been smoothed off. I will go chat with the operations manager about that. That is the spot where the injection mould puts in the plastic which creates the small bumps sticking up. It doubt it would make a difference but it something that should no go out like that.

When I have trimmed down the t=bolt clamps length I would run them down in place and mark it with a sharpie. Then when you pull them off again you have the exact spot to trim them flush.

The install looks good and we always appreciate reviews even if they are not the best. If gives us a chance to improve.

-Derrick

#20 ·
Those band clamps are the best option out there. They have thread showing because that's how they are tightened. If the threads were shorter then people would complain about them being to tight.

I don't understand the problem. If you don't like bolts then your only option is those shrink wrap like connections and I'm sure people would screw them up to often.

#21 ·
I just mentioned that they're a bit too long for My taste and the clean look I was going for. I don't want 3 inches worth of threads sticking out, so I cut them off and now I'm happy. I posted this info for others to see so they're aware of what to expect.

You're more then welcome to have 4 inches of clamp threads sticking out from your intake.

#25 · (Edited)
My advice is remove that "air straightener" it's useless for the length, and with all the vibration and temperature change whatever you use to hold it will be sucked intot he engine and then you just have a free spinning air straightener (which I'm pretty sure is just a generic car vent with the vertical vane removed, as mine still had little tabs wher it was cut...). Don't kid yourself with power gains, it will let you rev quicker, and change your torque curve.. it's only good for noise and when accelerating at higher rpms. That being said I am happy with mine and made a better video of the Cocksport exhaust and SRI on my cx-5. I taped up the camera to block some of the wind noise. The firt go I forgot the car was still in manual mode. Also, you can hear the "fart" out of first on the second go.

Finnaly figured it out the video thx mazsaspeedmyk (and some quote copying lel)

#26 ·
Hey everyone, first of all I'm glad the intake worked out @Must Turbo This 3, sorry about the imperfections, I'm glad Derrick already addressed the issues. I wasn't around this weekend so I missed the tag! Anyway, I'm glad you got it fixed satisfactorily, hopefully we can revise some of our processes to fix the small imperfection in the Air Straightener and possibly find a solution for the screws.

As for-- "will this intake give me more power" -- debate, well, all I have to say is it depends on the car and the stock airbox. My personal opinion of the video you posted @charlie3 is that intakes are one of the most popular modifications for any cars, and they (mightycarmods) knew if they "debunked" the myth, that they would get millions to watch it, which equals lots of advertising money in their pocket. Is there some truth to it? Maybe.... depends on the stock airbox vs the aftermarket intake. Personally, I've proven gain on the dyno with my own Mazda, so I believe in them!

Thanks @Frnchplayr15 for tagging Derrick and me. Always helpful when we are aware of problems, so we can address them...

Finally @Must Turbo This 3, the video sounds GREAT! Thanks!

#37 ·
I am ordering my CS SRI tonight because tax refunds. I hope I get a personal message too! That was my selling point CorkSport! I want my damn personal message. I want butterflies, flowers, unicorns, and maybe a rainbow or two. I dont even care if the SRI is in the box or not! (just kidding I do care)

#40 · (Edited)
Huzzah! I have been compulsively checking the CorkSport website all day. They just posted the 2.5L SRI, and I ordered mine :cheesy:

Hopefully I'll get it Friday and install it this weekend.

Ooh, I just looked again, and they also added hood struts that look pretty cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.