2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just mentioned that they're a bit too long for My taste and the clean look I was going for. I don't want 3 inches worth of threads sticking out, so I cut them off and now I'm happy. I posted this info for others to see so they're aware of what to expect.

You're more then welcome to have 4 inches of clamp threads sticking out from your intake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That video is bogus. So they concluded that CAI's are BS based on that one test with one vehicle?!?

If the factory air box on that Skyline isn't restrictive, OF COURSE THERE WON'T BE ANY GAIN when you throw on another NONE RESTRICTIVE intake system

Now if they were to turn up the boost to the point where the factory air box got restrictive AND THEN compare THAT to a SRI or CAI that is a straight pipe and without any of the crazy bends that today's factory intake systems have, THEN there will be a very obvious gain in power.

My 07 Civic Si made 168whp on the dyno (its' rated @ 197hp at the crank) with ONLY a CAI, header and exhaust the engine made 203whp on the same dyno. Obviously the factory air box was restrictive and same applies for the factory exhaust system with CAT, etc, etc or else the aftermarket parts wouldn't have made power.

This video is bogus by all accounts. I now wish I would have dyno'd my 3 before and after these mods to see if any gains were realized by replacing the factory parts. It's too late for that now but if someone in Jacksonville FL wants to hit the dyno with me using their stock Mazda 3 with 2.0L and compare numbers, it will still show if gains were made or not.

Having said that, I got these parts mostly for the sound. My Mazda 3 ain't no performance machine, and adding an intake and exhaust certainly ain't gonna make is FASTER then stock, so I didn't purchase these parts for the performance aspect alone.

I don't doubt in some cases it helps. The only point I was making was is the cost worth the little gain. (cost of the purchase and the chance hydrolock) If restriction is what you are worried about then the only gain you will see will be at wide open throttle.(throttle position itself which restricts airflow). I think the best argument for these types of intakes are getting cooler air into the system.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't doubt in some cases it helps. The only point I was making was is the cost worth the little gain. (cost of the purchase and the chance hydrolock) If restriction is what you are worried about then the only gain you will see will be at wide open throttle.(throttle position itself which restricts airflow). I think the best argument for these types of intakes are getting cooler air into the system.
I have noticed that traditional sri's do very little on current cars other than that nice resonance the aluminum piping provides. I would like to see air temp numbers at the manifold with the stock intake and an SRI. I would imagine the stock intake would insulate better. possibly a test with the stock setup, the SRI and the stock setup with insulation. at any rate, I enjoy the sound but dont see there being much power gained, especially on a naturally aspirated car.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
I have noticed that traditional sri's do very little on current cars other than that nice resonance the aluminum piping provides. I would like to see air temp numbers at the manifold with the stock intake and an SRI. I would imagine the stock intake would insulate better. possibly a test with the stock setup, the SRI and the stock setup with insulation. at any rate, I enjoy the sound but dont see there being much power gained, especially on a naturally aspirated car.
What would be cool is an iceman style intake. If you remember back in the late 90s/early 2000s (import haydays, fast and furious craze) there was the iceman intake brand. The pipe was made from some heavy duty plastic, delrin or something like that with a filter. Seemed like a good design and choice of materials because of the heatsoak concern (pipe heating up when made from aluminum) so the plastic material was idea.

I heard some people use the OEM intake arm and just stick a filter on that.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
My advice is remove that "air straightener" it's useless for the length, and with all the vibration and temperature change whatever you use to hold it will be sucked intot he engine and then you just have a free spinning air straightener (which I'm pretty sure is just a generic car vent with the vertical vane removed, as mine still had little tabs wher it was cut...). Don't kid yourself with power gains, it will let you rev quicker, and change your torque curve.. it's only good for noise and when accelerating at higher rpms. That being said I am happy with mine and made a better video of the Cocksport exhaust and SRI on my cx-5. I taped up the camera to block some of the wind noise. The firt go I forgot the car was still in manual mode. Also, you can hear the "fart" out of first on the second go.

Finnaly figured it out the video thx mazsaspeedmyk (and some quote copying lel)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Hey everyone, first of all I'm glad the intake worked out @Must Turbo This 3, sorry about the imperfections, I'm glad Derrick already addressed the issues. I wasn't around this weekend so I missed the tag! Anyway, I'm glad you got it fixed satisfactorily, hopefully we can revise some of our processes to fix the small imperfection in the Air Straightener and possibly find a solution for the screws.

As for-- "will this intake give me more power" -- debate, well, all I have to say is it depends on the car and the stock airbox. My personal opinion of the video you posted @charlie3 is that intakes are one of the most popular modifications for any cars, and they (mightycarmods) knew if they "debunked" the myth, that they would get millions to watch it, which equals lots of advertising money in their pocket. Is there some truth to it? Maybe.... depends on the stock airbox vs the aftermarket intake. Personally, I've proven gain on the dyno with my own Mazda, so I believe in them!

Thanks @Frnchplayr15 for tagging Derrick and me. Always helpful when we are aware of problems, so we can address them...

Finally @Must Turbo This 3, the video sounds GREAT! Thanks!

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Just received mine!

Fast shipping and the product looks great.

Came with color instructions, all necessary hardware, free decals, and personal thank you note. :)

Thanks again CS!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I could do a video but its with my iphone but it wont sound all that accurate.

Also I have yet to drive it.
Doesnt hurt to try. do it with the hood closed standing 4-5 feet from the car. the iphone mic is surprisingly clear at times.

It looks really good. Ive known corksport since my days driving rx7's and its good to see a familiar name that still has quality parts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am ordering my CS SRI tonight because tax refunds. I hope I get a personal message too! That was my selling point CorkSport! I want my damn personal message. I want butterflies, flowers, unicorns, and maybe a rainbow or two. I dont even care if the SRI is in the box or not! (just kidding I do care)

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Doesnt hurt to try. do it with the hood closed standing 4-5 feet from the car. the iphone mic is surprisingly clear at times.

It looks really good. Ive known corksport since my days driving rx7's and its good to see a familiar name that still has quality parts.
I am ordering my CS SRI tonight because tax refunds. I hope I get a personal message too! That was my selling point CorkSport! I want my damn personal message. I want butterflies, flowers, unicorns, and maybe a rainbow or two. I dont even care if the SRI is in the box or not! (just kidding I do care)
1. :) Okay ill give it a go, now I gotta ask. How do I upload the video from my phone to my youtube account? What gen RX-7s did you drive? My neighbor has 2 FDs.

2. Good stuff, I'm sure you'll love the intake. And the personal/thank you message is a nice touch. I think even if you dont get the SRI the message more than makes up for it lol. :biggrin:

·
Registered
274 Posts

1. :) Okay ill give it a go, now I gotta ask. How do I upload the video from my phone to my youtube account? What gen RX-7s did you drive? My neighbor has 2 FDs. :
I'm not sure. I've never uploaded anything to YouTube lol. I'm sure if you have an acct with YouTube and go into the app on your phone it will give you an option to upload it.

I made a thread in the Other rides section with a few pictures. Ive had 3 FCs and an FD.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Huzzah! I have been compulsively checking the CorkSport website all day. They just posted the 2.5L SRI, and I ordered mine :cheesy:

Hopefully I'll get it Friday and install it this weekend.

Ooh, I just looked again, and they also added hood struts that look pretty cool.

21 - 40 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.