2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

CorkSport Short Ram Intake Review

124K views 197 replies 77 participants last post by  dkeske 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys & gals, here's my review of the CorkSport SRI.

CorkSport probably isn't going to be too happy about the things I'm about to show but it is what it is... I expected better quality control on such simple things.

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MAF housing imperfections.

Here you can see some damage to the air flow vanes.

After fixing said issues with a dremel.

The threads on the clamps seemed WAY too long to me, after everything was tightened down, so I decided to bust out the dremel one more time.

Even after trimming the threads a bit, after I bolted everything in, they are still sticking out a good amount. It's not a big deal but with the threads being so long, my 10mm small socket wasn't deep enough to tighten the clamps with the threads getting in the way, so this had to be done.

This pic shows the final assembly and the amount of thread sticking out AFTER trimming.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now to the good part... OEM setup

CorkSport SRI. I left the factory air scoop in hopes of it delivering cold air to the intake. The outlet sits below the air filter, so water and stuff that might get in won't directly hit the air filter. CorkSport's instructions say to remove the entire OEM air box but I like thinking outside the box and don't see how leaving the scoop in place would do anything negative. If anything, it will help with cool air.

During my test drive, the SRI along with the CorkSport axle back exhaust is a great combo and the two parts definitely compliment each other and the result is an awesome engine growl and exhaust tone. I definitely recommend these two parts from CorkSport if you're looking to increase performance and sound. Overall the CorkSport intake is a very solid unit and I'm happy with my purchase.

I noticed better throttle response during my test drive but it could also be due to the engine torque mount polyurethane injection I did to help lessen engine movement, but I'll save that for another thread.

:thumbup 1:

Here's a video but keep in mind that I have the CorkSport intake & Exhaust on in this video.

See less See more
1 10
Discussion starter · #7 ·
Could you elaborate on this?
I noticed better throttle response during my test drive but it could also be due to the engine torque mount polyurethane injection I did to help lessen engine movement, but I'll save that for another thread.

Engine torque mount polyurethane injection?
:cheesy: that's top secret info dude!

Seriously though, I'll make a thread about it tomorrow and give you all the juicy details.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
I have always heard mix opinions about CAI and SRI. Mostly that the effect you get is mostly a placebo effect :-/ maybe a little better throttle response. But mostly the gain does not justify the cost.
For example check out the video below:

Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted - YouTube

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

That video is bogus. So they concluded that CAI's are BS based on that one test with one vehicle?!?

If the factory air box on that Skyline isn't restrictive, OF COURSE THERE WON'T BE ANY GAIN when you throw on another NONE RESTRICTIVE intake system

Now if they were to turn up the boost to the point where the factory air box got restrictive AND THEN compare THAT to a SRI or CAI that is a straight pipe and without any of the crazy bends that today's factory intake systems have, THEN there will be a very obvious gain in power.

My 07 Civic Si made 168whp on the dyno (its' rated @ 197hp at the crank) with ONLY a CAI, header and exhaust the engine made 203whp on the same dyno. Obviously the factory air box was restrictive and same applies for the factory exhaust system with CAT, etc, etc or else the aftermarket parts wouldn't have made power.

This video is bogus by all accounts. I now wish I would have dyno'd my 3 before and after these mods to see if any gains were realized by replacing the factory parts. It's too late for that now but if someone in Jacksonville FL wants to hit the dyno with me using their stock Mazda 3 with 2.0L and compare numbers, it will still show if gains were made or not.

Having said that, I got these parts mostly for the sound. My Mazda 3 ain't no performance machine, and adding an intake and exhaust certainly ain't gonna make is FASTER then stock, so I didn't purchase these parts for the performance aspect alone.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
I just mentioned that they're a bit too long for My taste and the clean look I was going for. I don't want 3 inches worth of threads sticking out, so I cut them off and now I'm happy. I posted this info for others to see so they're aware of what to expect.

You're more then welcome to have 4 inches of clamp threads sticking out from your intake.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
Yes it comes in different colors.

If you can manage to keep your right foot under control and drive the same as with the stock intake, your MPGs should stay the same.

most people start driving more aggressively in order to hear the intake ROAR, so the MPGs take a dive but realistically speaking, MPGs should increase if the intake helps the engine breath easier with less pumping loss.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
So this install/mod is now a warm air intake ?
:eek:hsnap 1: you're definitely right about that...

Yesterday was one of those warm days here in Florida (the car's outside temp gauge showed 89F vs today's 52F) and my Scan Gauge II showed intake temps of 140F while idling in traffic. The temp would drop to 110-ish once I started driving.

I didn't like what I was seeing, so I reinstalled the OEM air box and took the car for a spin...

Idling at red lights showed that air intake temps didn't get higher then 105F and once the car was mobile, temps quickly dropped and remained in the mid 90s F. (same temp outside as with the SRI installed).

I expected this with the SRI ( HOT air intake, to be perfectly honest ) but figured since the filter was pointed towards the front of the engine bay, where fresh air was coming in, and because I left the factory cold air scoop, I expected the intake to take in cool air but it doesn't seem to be the case.

As a result of my recent testing, I'm now in the process of developing a custom cold air box that will go around the SRI, in order to isolate the filter from the HOT engine bay air. I'll keep you guys updated.

Discussion starter · #69 · (Edited)
I must admit, I rushed to purchase this intake because I was in such a hurry to increase engine sound that I didn't do any research to see what intakes were developed for previous Mazda 3 gens and how they looked like...

During my recent investigation, I see that CorkSport makes a Cold Air intake box for their SRI for the other gens, in order to help keep intake temps under control.

Mazda 3 SkyActiv Cold Air Box | SkyActiv Cold Air Box

I don't understand why CorkSport didn't release such a box along with the SRI if they know of the high intake temps from previous Mazda 3s likw the 2012 - 2013 Skyactiv model...? :blink 1: :mad 1:

Discussion starter · #72 ·
I think if plenty of owners of the SRI show concern in this thread, CorkSport will notice.

They already have a box for the 2012-2013 Skyactiv engine. I imagine that the same box might just fit our 2014 model or with some minor changes, so it's not like they have to start from scratch and completely design a box. They've already build at least 3-4 different types for different Mazda 3 models.

Regardless, I'll submit a request for one. I just hope they make it look decent because the current "plain" looking boxes for previous gens look rather ugly to me. I'd have to instantly wrap it in fake carbon fiber just to satisfy my desire for a nice looking engine bay.

Anyway, for the time being, i've resorted to running the OEM air box. If the intake temps are that high, i'm LOSING POWER vs the OEM air box, so the only gain in sound which isn't worth it to me.

Discussion starter · #74 ·
But if you're running 10-20F higher intake temps without much idle time / heat soak, it's still performing WORSE THEN STOCK!

I drove around a good bit today on the stock air box and the car felt great with 60F weather (70-79F intake temps while driving, peaking in the 90s at the drive-thru)

The SRI in the same situation would have been in the 130s+ while idling at the liquor store.

I plan to do some back to back test driving / idling tomorrow while swapping intakes just to get more data / confirm my findings.

Discussion starter · #79 ·
Is that a Photoshop?
@skyactiver that is definitely a nice cold airbox setup you have. The 2014 M3 is even easier, since we can reuse the OEM air scoop, which would go directly into the cold air box, so the SRI will be taking in air exactly where Mazda thought is best... from the top of the hood.

Discussion starter · #82 ·
Yeah, definitely looks easier than the Gen 2 scenario. You could easily link the end of your OEM air scoop piping to the front side of a cold airbox. Ideally, Corksport should just make a 2014 Skyactiv SRI Airbox that links to this OEM inlet piping. Shouldn't cost too much more to develop/produce...

Coping the stock air box's mounting holes, and entrance of the cold air scoop but making the box slightly bigger or wider to house the cone filter is a breeze.

I plan on making a custom box tomorrow, so that I can run the SRI I paid for and have it actually perform properly.

HOT AIR INTAKE = FAIL :argh 1: I'm pissed that CorkSport released the intake without a proper air box to keep it functioning properly. I'm sure all of us would have gladly dished out another $100 for an air box if it meant that the intake actually performs better then stock in ALL driving conditions, not just on a dyno, with the hood open and a huge fan blowing cold air into the engine bay.

I noticed that everyone removed the hood scoop, like CorkSport recommends in the instructions. I left mine in, thinking it doesn't hurt and if anything, will help bring in cold air and I'm still getting crazy high intake temps. I can only imagine how hot it gets without the scoop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.