2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

CorkSport Short Ram Intake Review

124K views 197 replies 77 participants last post by  dkeske 
I can chime in,

We use loctite on the thread to #1 keep the stainless stand off and #2 prevent any air leaks around the threads. That is what is seen on the first picture as the goo.

The standoff threads inside the MAF housing are on the opposite side and within a cm of being parallel of where the MAF measures air passing so it will not have any effect on airflow. This is something which we had to make a decision on doing two different standoffs or using one. Since the airflow readings were not going to be affected and we did not want to add more cost into the intake we went with 1.

The plastic flashing on the air straightener should have been smoothed off. I will go chat with the operations manager about that. That is the spot where the injection mould puts in the plastic which creates the small bumps sticking up. It doubt it would make a difference but it something that should no go out like that.

When I have trimmed down the t=bolt clamps length I would run them down in place and mark it with a sharpie. Then when you pull them off again you have the exact spot to trim them flush.

The install looks good and we always appreciate reviews even if they are not the best. If gives us a chance to improve.

-Derrick

We use the t-bolt clamps for several application so there will be some extra length unfortunately.

We can change that depth on the standoff screw if you guys want it. I do agree it doesn't look great but it would add more cost to the intake.

-Derrick

Hey everyone, first of all I'm glad the intake worked out @Must Turbo This 3, sorry about the imperfections, I'm glad Derrick already addressed the issues. I wasn't around this weekend so I missed the tag! Anyway, I'm glad you got it fixed satisfactorily, hopefully we can revise some of our processes to fix the small imperfection in the Air Straightener and possibly find a solution for the screws.

As for-- "will this intake give me more power" -- debate, well, all I have to say is it depends on the car and the stock airbox. My personal opinion of the video you posted @charlie3 is that intakes are one of the most popular modifications for any cars, and they (mightycarmods) knew if they "debunked" the myth, that they would get millions to watch it, which equals lots of advertising money in their pocket. Is there some truth to it? Maybe.... depends on the stock airbox vs the aftermarket intake. Personally, I've proven gain on the dyno with my own Mazda, so I believe in them!

Thanks @Frnchplayr15 for tagging Derrick and me. Always helpful when we are aware of problems, so we can address them...

Finally @Must Turbo This 3, the video sounds GREAT! Thanks!

So the instructions are incorrect, we linked it accidentally to our Mazdaspeed 3" intake. I passed the info along yesterday when I noticed it but it hasn't been corrected yet I guess.

As for the dyno, the key is the difference in the numbers, not the actual numbers. Our dyno for some reason reads very low, but is very accurate at the difference. When I put my Mazdaspeed 3 on the Dyno (265 factory) it told me I was doing 220 with a Stage II intake and Accessport..... clearly it reads low. Same day my co-worker ran his RX8 on it... and it came up with 160hp...... what??

The fact of the matter is a dyno is a great tool for showing improvement over a previous reading, but ever dyno will read power different and it's an arbitrary number.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.