2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am debating whether or not to order the CorkSport SRI with the new airbox from Corksport. I have heard alot of good things and a few flaws about the CorkSport Intake.

Has anyone encountered any problems with their CorkSport Intake?

- protruding screw near the MAF sensor?

- anyone notice a blockage near the MAF sensor Inlet port? (PICTURE BELOW) The spot where air goes into the sensor for measurements of airflow. (Apparently the rear fins get in the way of air flowing into the sensor)

Just would like to hear someone else's input, this is my first time purchasing an aftermarket part for this car. I have been told the JBR intake is pretty solid but I would like something with an Airbox as well. Any recommendations?

Thanks Guys!

Attachments

·
Save the Manuals
267 Posts
CorkSport is one of the top Mazda aftermarket brands, they're Mazda specific actually (AFIAK?) but I would trust any product they have.

Does it gain power? Does it help with MPG? I have no idea, but it'll be built well and won't mess your car up.

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drive a 2.0

Im hearing alot of pros and cons. By any chance is anyone here running a JBR?

Im leaning towards buying the CorkSport with the new airbox but I would not like to run into an issue with the SRI (check engine light.)

·
Registered
900 Posts
I got the SRI first, and love the sound, and what seems like a few more MPG.
I also only bought it because they confirmed when the box was coming out, so I wanted to have it be louder and annoying for a couple weeks.
The box will arrive today so I will get that on and quiet it down this weekend. NO check engine lights. Also I have a 2.5 not the 2 like you.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been using the CS SRI since last November in my 2015 iTouring 2.0. No problems at all, no change in power (it's all placebo effect, fellas), no CEL, love the growl on acceleration, easy install, no real changes in MPG (still averaging 45mpg if on freeway here in Cali). For $180, you are paying for cosmetics and personal pleasure. I'm a total noob when it comes to cars, but my SRI does not have the blockage shown in your above picture nor any protruding screws. Getting pretty ridiculous when I read posts of people claiming all kinds of "power" increase from the SRI alone; I will call BS all day and night long if someone says they notice an additional 5 hp upon installation and use. Is the acceleration and throttle more responsive? Meh, I'll say it does and does not, both by small margins. Do I recommend the product? Yes, yes I do because I wanted some extra audible satisfaction while driving.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have been using the CS SRI since last November in my 2015 iTouring 2.0. No problems at all, no change in power (it's all placebo effect, fellas), no CEL, love the growl on acceleration, easy install, no real changes in MPG (still averaging 45mpg if on freeway here in Cali). For $180, you are paying for cosmetics and personal pleasure. I'm a total noob when it comes to cars, but my SRI does not have the blockage shown in your above picture nor any protruding screws. Getting pretty ridiculous when I read posts of people claiming all kinds of "power" increase from the SRI alone; I will call BS all day and night long if someone says they notice an additional 5 hp upon installation and use. Is the acceleration and throttle more responsive? Meh, I'll say it does and does not, both by small margins. Do I recommend the product? Yes, yes I do because I wanted some extra audible satisfaction while driving.
I think a lot of it has to deal with colder air temps too. I've read hot temps and summers will hurt performance with a SRI. But I could be wrong. I really would like to see more figures before I pay over $300 for something that offers no real performance improvement. Heck, I could get a tune for 30HP+ for $500.

Another reason to consider a CAI for hotter states really like the one by Injen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think a lot of it has to deal with colder air temps too. I've read hot temps and summers will hurt performance with a SRI. But I could be wrong. I really would like to see more figures before I pay over $300 for something that offers no real performance improvement. Heck, I could get a tune for 30HP+ for $500.

Another reason to consider a CAI for hotter states really like the one by Injen.
..........Like I mentioned above, I did not buy this for performance increase because I knew that it was so minimal (I believe CS's page said +5hp?) which is almost a moot point. You already answered the question yourself; even in ideal, cold, temperatures with no other hazardous climate changes, the performance gains will not come close to a tune. If you want performance boosts, then get the tune. Simple as that.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I really would like to see more figures before I pay over $300 for something that offers no real performance improvement. Heck, I could get a tune for 30HP+ for $500.
Damn, have a little patience, Dude! The CS airbox was just released yesterday, 2/24/16. Of course there's no performance figures out yet. Also, as the previous poster said, it's mainly about the sound, rather than a performance increase. Any increase would be at high RPM's, anyways.

You'll get a lot more of a performance increase with a tune & the stock airbox. That's what I've got, along with an AEM panel filter & using 91 octane & the extra performance is there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone had to tune their car after SRI install? I will probably just purchase the CorkSport Intake & Airbox and then eventually purchase an exhaust system.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Has anyone had to tune their car after SRI install? I will probably just purchase the CorkSport Intake & Airbox and then eventually purchase an exhaust system.
you don't HAVE to tune with an SRI but it is HIGHLY recommended to take any sort of advantage of the intake

·
Registered
294 Posts
Has anyone received and installed the CorkSport air box already?
yep received and installed today. It was chilly here in the 60s so heatsoak wasn't a problem. I'll give you some temp. numbers when it warms up in a week or two

·
Working Class Hero
3,705 Posts
Chilly in the 60s. That's a good one lol.

It was balmy here in the lower 50s.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
yep received and installed today. It was chilly here in the 60s so heatsoak wasn't a problem. I'll give you some temp. numbers when it warms up in a week or two
Is it quieter now with the airbox compared to before?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I received mine as well, 83 degrees here in SoCal. I previously had the SRI installed and noticed a loss at low RPMs during the afternoons. I installed the box last night and took it out for a spin today. I did not notice any difference honestly but again unless you dyno you really won't know whether you've gained or loss hp/tq. Once I get my exhaust Ill tune and call it a day. For those worried about sound, it's still there. I had their 2nd gen MS3 box and when I installed that one the intake sound went silent.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Chilly in the 60s. That's a good one lol.

It was balmy here in the lower 50s.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
anything below 70 is chilly here in Florida haha

1 - 20 of 56 Posts