2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1,091 Posts
I replaced my motor mount entirely. Wanted EPDM over urethane as a bushing material. If you're coming from an '03 SVT Cobra which probably vibrates like a washing machine, you're probably able to handle something stiff which gives you a more connected feeling with the drivetrain.

Motor mounts, particularly the rear motor mount, all have varying compromises. Typically, looking below, it's choose two:

Price
NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness)
Longevity

As far as price is concerned, the CS motor mount inserts are the cheapest by far. NVH really is a subjective thing- some people can't stand it, some people think it's not enough. Longevity seems to be the really questionable factor here, as the conjecture seems to be that it begins to feel like stock after a few months or few thousand miles of driving.

Other motor mounts to consider:

AWR, cp-e, StreetUnit, TRZ

I went with the cp-e 75 duro rear motor mount. Love it. Almost wish I could get a stiffer mount but it's a great compromise. Vibrations are very minimal at idle, wheel hop is mitigated and less engine jerk is definitely noticeable particularly with shifting. Someone put it best- at its worst, it feels like a mild massage on a La-Z-Boy recliner.

Also, proper installation is key. Often times people don't torque it back properly causing the motor mount itself to vibrate rather than letting the bushing do its job, then they complain that the motor mount is causing too much vibrations. I just helped out a guy on twitter solve this issue- two of the bolts had come loose (and they typically will without locktite and proper tightening on the proper bolts).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest the 03 cobra had a very nice ride with the IRS.
I did have an aftermarket shifter in it so i had that direct metal on metal feel shifting it. Im really trying to tighten up the drivetrain on my MS3 but figured id ask before ordering the the intake id figure out if i was ordering the inserts or replacing the mount.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I replaced my motor mount entirely. ...I went with the cp-e 75 duro rear motor mount.
This mod is next on my to-do list (probably should have done it a long time ago)...so how was the install? Did you put the car on a lift or simply jack it up? Anything I should be aware of when I go to tackle this one?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got around to installing the CS insert a couple of weeks ago...felt really nice for 2 days then its as if I never installed them. I'll eventually replace the mount completely...probably at next oil change

·
1,091 Posts
I'm at about 700 miles on mine over the course of a month. The part's only been out for about two years and it's gone under at least two mild revisions since then (from 50 to 60/75 duro, and a revised aluminum mount to make installing easier), so the long term is too early to tell. If you've seen what the stock motor mount looks like even after 10, 15 or 20k miles, you'd probably want to replace it. It ain't pretty.

cp-e is great about honoring warranty for the part. And stock, I seriously doubt you'll be able to break the aluminum mount. It's beefy as hell. I could club seals with this thing. If the bushing begins to crack for whatever reason, they'll put in a new one for you. Granted you have to ship the part to them, but it's still better than nothing.

So far, it's my favorite mod to date.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm at about 700 miles on mine over the course of a month. The part's only been out for about two years and it's gone under at least two mild revisions since then (from 50 to 60/75 duro, and a revised aluminum mount to make installing easier), so the long term is too early to tell. If you've seen what the stock motor mount looks like even after 10, 15 or 20k miles, you'd probably want to replace it. It ain't pretty.

cp-e is great about honoring warranty for the part. And stock, I seriously doubt you'll be able to break the aluminum mount. It's beefy as hell. I could club seals with this thing. If the bushing begins to crack for whatever reason, they'll put in a new one for you. Granted you have to ship the part to them, but it's still better than nothing.

So far, it's my favorite mod to date.
well if its good for 3 years im fine with it. my car is leased!!!!

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Anybody had a good experience with the CS inserts?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hey Catchphrase,

You still happy with your motor mount?? I'm pulling the trigger, but I'm not too sure of the pros/cons of the 60 vs. 75...

lil help? :)

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I ended up getting and installing the TRZ DogBone last weekend and so far it's probably the best actual performance mod I've done to the car to date. Makes a world of difference and the vibrations are there but not at all unliveable. Mainly feel vibratons when pulling from a dead stop, otherwise vibrations are minimal.

If you're dead set on the CP-E (which is a very nicely engineered piece) then go for the 75...you won't regret it. I think you'll be so impressed with this mod that if you went with the softer mount you'd end up thinking you should have just bought the 75 to begin with.

·
Registered
598 Posts
thats what I needed. :)

I was leaning toward the 75 anyway. Thanks Tinker!

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
I got the 75 put on this Monday that just passed....The car feels more solid and alive...but it definitely takes getting used to. Hopefully once it settles, the vibrations calm down a bit. I love it though.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The vibrations make the car feel savage!

And when you pop the clutch at 2500 RPM and your engine doesn't go into epileptic fits but just puts all that torque to the ground, you'll really know the true meaning of what it is to love your motor mount :tt1:.

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
I'll have to try that.......it seems like I'm still babying the car....partly b/c I'm still trying to improve my shifting as I'm still finding myself screwing up from time to time and I still have to think about what I'm doing.....it's not natural yet...and partly b/c I just don't know what to expect. I'll try to be more brazen this weekend though...lol.

And BTW everyone.......anyone that wants the CS inserts for a speed, I'm selling a pair cheap......look in the For Sale section.

·
1,091 Posts
The vibrations amount to a light massage through your wheel and pedals from 800-1500 rpm, and cause whatever loose things you have mounted to your dash or inside your glovebox/console to rattle. Not a problem- it was an incentive for me to clean stuff out. It is not the same vibration as you'd experience with a uneven rotors, imbalanced/worn tires, broken mounts, blown shocks, etc. It's the sort of a high frequency vibration, similar to a basshead's car with way too many subwoofers.

I've put about 2500 miles on my mount since installing it. If it vibrates more than what you think it should be, it's probably not tightened down properly.The improvement to shifting makes it a must have in my opinion.

There also was no "getting used to" phase for me. It was more of a shock, disbelief and "why the hell did I not do this earlier?"

Then I hauled ass around a nice back road.

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Well I haven't even put a 100 miles on it since.....so let me just wait and see. I'm still happy with it as it is right now though. The weird thing is that right after I put it in, I took the car for a drive and felt absolutely no extra vibrations.....then the next morning I could feel them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts