2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my exhaust installed and I love it, but right where the cat (high-flow cat from them) connects to the cat-back I cannot for the life of me get it to stop leaking. I had a mechanic friend help me install everything and I didn't seem to have any leaks anywhere else. We cranked down real hard on the clamp, then we loosened it up and moved it around a bit and rotated it and clamped it down tighter. Still leaking. So a couple days later I got under there and again loosened it and reclamped it. Still leaking. Same thing today, twice, and still leaking both times. Anyone else have this problem? Am I just not clamping it down enough?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, not on this system. Didn't come with one, anyway. I emailed them about it but so far haven't gotten anything back (it is the weekend though).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No gaskets on the slip joint. One pipe slides over the other and there is a clamp to compress them together. Couldn't fit a gasket in there anyway, nor do they tell you to. The rest do have metal gaskets and aren't leaking.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
You bought a Corksport product. Half of their shit fails. They'll get back to you and fix it. Then release a new, updated version in a few months that you won't be able to get unless you buy it.

·
The Turbo Guy
205 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mostly I see condensation and can feel the gas coming out. They are sending me a new clamp, maybe that will fix it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These work great but the smallest size they make according to their site is 2.5in
I've seen smaller ones, but the CS pipes are in metric (60mm) whereas all the clamps are in inches. So I'm not sure if I want a 2.25", which is slightly smaller, or 2.5", which is slightly bigger. Not really sure how those clamps work.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Theyre like any other clamp. You slip them on with the pipes and tighten down

Do you have anything against just getting it welded? Should be dirt cheap at an exhaust shop and you already cut the pipe so youre way past the point of simply bolting back to stock. Id go that route

·
Registered
752 Posts
im still trying to figure out how in the world you have a leak there. or a noticeable one anyway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Theyre like any other clamp. You slip them on with the pipes and tighten down

Do you have anything against just getting it welded? Should be dirt cheap at an exhaust shop and you already cut the pipe so youre way past the point of simply bolting back to stock. Id go that route
I guess what I meant is how the measurements work. What I mean is, if I have a 2.5" clamp, will that only work on a 2.5" pipe? If I get the 2.25" clamp, will that not get big enough?

I didn't actually cut the pipe, I used their high-flow cat. I'm not totally opposed to welding it, but it just seems like I shouldn't have to. Plus clamps give me room to make sure everything is hanging right. It's a pretty tight fit at the back, so I don't want it to accidentally get moved a bit forward. The pipes start hitting a bit of the rear axle or control arm or something back there then.
@D-Jack: Not sure what to say other than I do have one. Maybe it is just a faulty clamp and it isn't really clamping down enough. But I can definitely feel air coming out and see condensation. Don't even have to be revving it to feel it. Certainly won't pass emissions inspections this way.

·
Registered
752 Posts
you will want to buy the 2.5'' clamp meaning it will fit up to 2.5''. I also have the high flow cat. I have never gotten under the car to look for a leak as I don't hear one so Its out of sight out of mind i may have a very small one but don't notice it. Then again I am not subject to fascist inspections either so I have no need to look.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I guess what I meant is how the measurements work. What I mean is, if I have a 2.5" clamp, will that only work on a 2.5" pipe? If I get the 2.25" clamp, will that not get big enough?

I didn't actually cut the pipe, I used their high-flow cat. I'm not totally opposed to welding it, but it just seems like I shouldn't have to. Plus clamps give me room to make sure everything is hanging right. It's a pretty tight fit at the back, so I don't want it to accidentally get moved a bit forward. The pipes start hitting a bit of the rear axle or control arm or something back there then.

@D-Jack: Not sure what to say other than I do have one. Maybe it is just a faulty clamp and it isn't really clamping down enough. But I can definitely feel air coming out and see condensation. Don't even have to be revving it to feel it. Certainly won't pass emissions inspections this way.
I wish I could answer your question but im not too sure on what the range for those clamps is, if any. The shop I work at does DPF installations so the guys there use those clamps on every install and they work great but from what i remember they dont look like they have much room to tighten down after theyre torqued on the pipe size theyre meant for.

Where are you located? If its anything like Cali and they just do the tailpipe sniffer then a tiny leak wont matter as long as its after the o2 sensors, which im sure yours is. A leak that small wont be enough to dilute your readings. I used to smog my Corolla with a broken/cracked pipe and it would still pass without a problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish I could answer your question but im not too sure on what the range for those clamps is, if any. The shop I work at does DPF installations so the guys there use those clamps on every install and they work great but from what i remember they dont look like they have much room to tighten down after theyre torqued on the pipe size theyre meant for.

Where are you located? If its anything like Cali and they just do the tailpipe sniffer then a tiny leak wont matter as long as its after the o2 sensors, which im sure yours is. A leak that small wont be enough to dilute your readings. I used to smog my Corolla with a broken/cracked pipe and it would still pass without a problem.
It is after the sensors. Here in VA they are supposed to sniff for leaks, but the last place I went to I think all he did was plug in and make sure I wasn't throwing codes. So it may not even really matter, but I hate when things aren't working out like they're supposed to.

Derrick from CS gave me some ideas after putting on a new clamp from them didn't fix it, so I'll give those a shot and see. If that still doesn't do it, I'll probably just put a bit of high-temp silicone in there to seal it up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts