2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed my Corksport Cold Air Box today and wanted to share some thoughts with everyone. The install itself was pretty straight forward. I didn't have any issues there. One thing I will suggest to Corksport is that they use a plastic that better matches the stock finish for all of the other black pieces in the engine bay. The way it is now doesn't look bad, it's just that it could look waaaay better for those people that love a stock look if they just switched to a plastic finish that matched. I'll probably just end up painting it. The other suggestion would be about the cutout for the MAF sensor wire. It doesn't line up with where the sensor is mounted. They just need to move it to the left a couple of millimeters and it would be perfect. And yes I know that their mounting points allow for some adjustment, but no matter how I adjusted it, I could never get the MAF sensor wire opening to line up perfectly along with the bolt holes in the front lining up as well.

I've also heard a plastic rattling sound when I really get on the throttle. It's not loud and I only noticed it when I had the windows rolled down. I think it's the little plastic clip that's attached to the MAF sensor wire. I never removed that little clip when I first installed my Corksport SRI, but now it's sitting against the outside of the cold air box. I think it's just vibrating when I get on the throttle, but I'll have to wait to investigate tomorrow.

Did anyone else have any issues with their box or have anything they really like about it?

05/08/2016

I'm posting this update because there's been some discussion about how the cold air box may or may not affect the tuning process. I've been going through a tune over the past month and it returned some of the lowest numbers that's ever been seen from this tuning group. Dyno calibration has been called into question, but the CS cold air box has also been mentioned as a possible bottleneck that may be affecting the outcome of the numbers. As far as I know, I'm the only one using the CS cold air box while going through this tune so it seems that I'm everyone's guinea pig. I'd like to start discussing how this box allows airflow vs the stock box. Here's a couple of pictures of the inlets:

Judging by my innacurate measurments, the throttle body inlet is about 30.19 square centimeters. I know that it narrows down a bit, but I couldn't accurately measure the inside diameter where the flap is. I'm measuring the entry area so as to compare to the entry area of the CS cold air box. Now I'm going to calculate the area of the CS inlet as 1.9 centimeters times 11 centimeters. I know it's actually less than that because of the curve, but I'm giving CS the benefit of the doubt here. Keep in mind that the inlet port isn't a perfect seal and air would be seeping in through the cracks where the two pieces meet. Calculating this way, I'm getting 20.9 square centimeters. Someone please check my math or provide your own measurements and calculations. From what I'm seeing, the CS inlet provides about 9 square centimeters less than the stock throttle body opening. The real question is, how much would this affect performance?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did that box quiet down the intake noise? My CS intake has been sitting on a shelf for months because I couldn't take the in cabin noise with the intake and exhaust combined. I think it should have come with a box from the start.

And any measurable data on the intake temp back to back with and without the box?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Did that box quiet down the intake noise? My CS intake has been sitting on a shelf for months because I couldn't take the in cabin noise with the intake and exhaust combined. I think it should have come with a box from the start.

And any measurable data on the intake temp back to back with and without the box?
Is the cabin noise really that bad?

I am getting the SRI soon and planning on getting the cat-back.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I've had different intakes on 3 turbo'ed cars in the past....this one was a bigger difference in noise levels than any other i've owned. On the other cars I thought the increased intake noise sounded great....on this one I didn't like it

edit: I finally pulled it because people complained it was too noisy when trying to have a conversation in the car

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes the box makes it quieter. I think it sounds more stronger overall. Doesn't sound so high pitched.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

No difference that I can tell. I installed my SRI after my catback exhaust, so I have no idea how much louder than stock it is. I don't have any temp data... I've been looking at a bluetooth temp sensor on Amazon over the past couple of days and I think I'm going to pick it up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

If you go with a Corksport cat back and SRI, be ready to have plenty of "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" moments. I enjoy the sound myself and so does my wife. As long as the wife is happy, I could care less about what anyone else thinks :thumbup 1:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes the box makes it quieter. I think it sounds more stronger overall. Doesn't sound so high pitched.
That might be the problem I had with it, the pitch. I don't mind a noisy ride, I like the nice deep tone of the exhaust.....but the intake was just....noise :| Didn't sound nice at all in my opinion

thanks for the responses guys. I don't really plan to spend $130 on a plastic box that should've come with a $180 intake in the first place, but it's good to know, thanks

·
Registered
267 Posts
The rattling I had was the box vibrating against the electronics. Shoved a small piece of black foam foam (somewhat discretely) between the two and it stopped. I'll have to come up with a more permanent solution later on, may require some adjustments on the box.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The rattling I had was the box vibrating against the electronics. Shoved a small piece of black foam foam (somewhat discretely) between the two and it stopped. I'll have to come up with a more permanent solution later on, may require some adjustments on the box.
I figured it was either the clip or what you described. A bit of sticky foam on that part of the box should do the trick...

·
Registered
28 Posts
St, did you ever get this figured out? I'm getting the same rattle/buzzing noise under heavy throttle as well...

At first I thought it was from the two front facing bolts on the harness, but foam between them didn't stop the noise. Just did some poking around and I noticed that if I lightly pull the ECU towards the firewall, I can force the vibration. Nothing I can physically see, so I assume it's something near the bottom.

I'll dig in a little later and see if I can find exactly where without removing the whole thing.

Reactions: M3Dude

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the link, Mike! Can't imagine it's the hood rubbing, but I'll drive home today with the lid off just to be sure.

Played around with it a bit on my lunch, and it appears to be coming from the bottom bracket that the rubber grommets attach to. When I'm pulling back on the ECU harness, the bracket flexes against the bottom of the box and causes the rattle.

This weekend I'll take the box out and put some foam tape between the two and see what happens.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well this is interesting...one of the posts in the 6 forum got me thinking...if he's saying it's gone after taking the lid off, what else touches the lid? Since mine shows no evidence of hood rub, what else could it be??

The hood prop?

Call me crazy, but I just wedged a piece of folded paper in between the section where it's up against the box, next to the foam sleeve. Closed the hood and gave it a few heavy stabs of the throttle and NO VIBRATION.

Much too early to claim victory, but I can get it to vibrate on command so we'll see how my drive home goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, under driving conditions it didn't make a ton of difference. Maybe slightly less harsh, but the majority of the noise is still there.

I'll drive it with the lid off next and see what I find.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, without the lid it's perfect. So it's got to be one of two things...or both I guess..

Either the hood is making contact with the outside of the box, or the filter is hitting the ceiling of the box.

I noticed this when I took my lid off, rub marks where the rubber edges of the filter are hitting the top of the lid...

I tried some foam tape against those marks, still makes noise but maybe slightly better.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
St, did you ever get this figured out? I'm getting the same rattle/buzzing noise under heavy throttle as well...

At first I thought it was from the two front facing bolts on the harness, but foam between them didn't stop the noise. Just did some poking around and I noticed that if I lightly pull the ECU towards the firewall, I can force the vibration. Nothing I can physically see, so I assume it's something near the bottom.

I'll dig in a little later and see if I can find exactly where without removing the whole thing.
It's been busy for me so I haven't been able to reply until now. I see you've been experimenting. I like it. Looks like you haven't quite figured it out though. It seems like it would be something easy to pinpoint though since there shouldn't be many contact points. I actually forgot about my issue because for the last couple of weeks I haven't noticed a thing. Until tonight. And that's what had me coming back to this thread. I was doing some data logging for the OVTune and during the heavy throttle WOT run I noticed the rattling noise. It only did it once though and didn't do it again the whole way home. I'll try to pop the lid tomorrow and take a look. I'll check out the underside of my cold air box top to see if I have the same rubbing from the filter. Although when I hear the noise it doesn't sound like rubber on plastic. More like plastic on plastic. More investigation tomorrow...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I removed the stock maf clip as well since I noticed that rattling slightly at idle.

My issue is 95% gone. Over the weekend I put some high density foam inside the box to prevent the filter from smacking against the wall/lid. I also shifted the box rearward to center the filter as much as possible. It rarely makes a sound now and when it does, its MUCH quieter.

Seems like there are a few things that can cause this, as the ECU was definitely rubbing against the lid before I blocked it off and guys on the 6 forum are having the lid make contact with the hood.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts