2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a CorkSport Chassis Brace on my 2011 Mazda 3 Hatchback. After the installation, I noticed a vibration coming up through the shifter, along with a (for lack of a better word) harmonic vibration through the seats, console, and floorboards. Is this normal when using a chassis brace like this? (the brace is the one that goes under the exhaust tunnel, takes the place of the two smaller braces that come on the car OEM)

Thanks for any info given....I might have a great buy for someone that wants a brace of this type on their 3.

Joel

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on my chassis brace and the cause of the NVH:

Upon removal of the CorkSport mid-chassis brace, my mechanic informed me the cause of the vibration/noise was the brace rubbing the exhaust hanger. He suggested a series of washers/spacers to lower the brace (he did try to turn the brace upside down, but it still rubbed the hanger). I opted to remove the brace. Thanks to the previous posters for their input.

·
Making People Mad
832 Posts
You should definately call Corksport up and see if you can get your money back.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can also put a big zip tie around the exhaust hanger to tighten it up and lift it off the brace.

Did you notice a difference with the new brace on?
I'm not sure a zip tie could withstand the heat produced in that area of the car. When my mechanic removed the brace, he commented on the heat, warning me not to pick it up to put back in the box until it cooled...but thanks for the thought, dunston.

I removed the brace after driving about 50 miles, and was quite aggravated with all the noise and vibrations emanating from the car...I think it felt a bit stiffer, but the overwhelming (and surprising) noises and vibrations had my attention.

I've researched mid-chassis braces from other vendors since my install/removal....almost all of them have an offset next to the exhaust hanger to alleviate this problem. This causes me to wonder how long CorkSport has offered this product, and if I have an early prototype. Live and learn :yes:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Good thread as I may have been looking to purchase this. Yes I know the thread is old but I am wondering if any potential design problems have been rectified.

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
^^^ LOL.
Yeah, instead of starting a new thread about this I actually used the search feature.
wtf were you thinking! jeez! stop being proactive!

any increased rigidity is going to add vibrations. Strut Bars, Undercarriage braces, Trunk Braces, Mount Stiffners, even those Poly exhaust hangers.

your stiffening the chassie and transfering vibrations where there was no connection before. or in case of the mount stiffners and exhaust hangers your taking any movement that the exhaust makes / engine makes like on a hard launch and transfering to the chassie.

but i do love how it helps handling. my first civic had strut bars front and rear and lower rear tie bar and the difference was night and day. id like to get the trunk brace front strut and all the lower chassie stuff.

@mazdaspeedmyk: did the hangers tuck the exhaust up more to the car or just kept it from bouncing around.

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
yea ive seen them aroudn wasnt sure if they were shorter or just more stationary

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'm surprised to see my old thread has risen from the dead. I thought I had sold the CS mid-chassis brace to a member here, but he backed out....smart guy. I ended up using it to hold targets for shooting practice. I have since purchased another mid-chassis brace from GT Spec and it works quite well without any of the NVH I experienced with the CS. The car feels tighter, which is what a mid-chassis brace is supposed to do. The offset on the GT Spec equipment is obvious to alleviate the exhaust hanger from rubbing on the brace itself. When I called CorkSport with the problem, they wanted ME to do the R&D to help them solve the NVH.....at that point, I discontinued any conversation with CorkSport. The mid chassis brace was, I believe, a pre-production piece, and had obviously not been fitted onto a 2011 Mazda 3 hatchback...otherwise, there is no way a reputable company would sell/ship it to anyone.

Edit: When I added a strut tower brace, I didn't have an NVH problem....just a decrease in body roll. Same with the GT Spec mid-chassis brace....no additional NVH, just a tighter feel when taking corners at speed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ordered a CorksSport skidplate and it didn't even fit my 2.0 Sedan... you gotta wonder how much actual testing they do. It hit the alternator and so I had to have my brand new product cut up and grinded on just to make it fit as originally intended. Even still, it's not nearly as rigid as I had imagined it to be and it flexes alot and makes squeaking noise and rattles. Not happy with with it overall for how expensive it was. With how my CorkSport experience went in combination with how your product fit... AND all the rear sway bars that are snapping, you really gotta question their motives to deliver quality parts, pretty disappointing.

Reactions: ABolewski

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah, from everything I've read - and the prices I've seen - these guys aren't living up to what a good company should be. I'm in the market for a FTB, Mid-Chassis brace (GTSpec looks great, $188 to Corksport's $240-something, as well), and eventually sways; and CS won't be getting any of my business with their current state of product quality/reliability. If anything, considering they're an M3R sponsor, they should be giving us freebies to test drive before they offer stuff like this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
All of these aftermarket companies seriously inflate their prices for their products as well. I see these companies such as corksport and JBR (I do like JBR) resell other products, but at 400%-600% of the price they bought it for. They did nothing different, just reselling it for more. I'm planning on buying a mid-chassis brace but I guess I won't be going with the corksport one, even though they have probably fixed the problem with theirs. They don't seem like a good company to me. I bought a rear sway bar from JBR and it is very high quality. Although I still feel I overpaid for it, I'm happy with their customer service and quality.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts