·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my review of the 2014 Mazda 3 CorkSport Axle Back Exhaust

Comparison between the OEM muffler.

OEM muffler weighs - 27.5 pounds
CorkSport Axle Back - 18.5 pounds

I installed the axle back while the engine was still warm, maybe 20-30 minutes after a good drive. Install went very smooth. Two bolts and a squirt of WD-40 & 4 rubber hangers later and the OEM muffler was off.

Upon initial start up (no cold start) I almost didn't even notice that I just installed a sport muffler.

During my test drive, it's very obvious that the car now has a proper exhaust (no longer seems like you're driving a Prius). The super nice, low, deep growl during clutch engagement and up to about 2,500rpm sounds nice. Cruising around town in 6th gear is very quiet, expect for a slightly deeper exhaust note.

My wife likes it but also thought it was much quieter then she expected it to be.

I highly recommend this exhaust to anyone who wants a nice deep, can pass for OEM, exhaust note from the Mazda 3. It reminds me of a G35 / 350Z OEM exhaust sound. <-- Many say it's the best exhaust note they've ever heard...

As for me... I find myself wanting MORE noise, especially in the upper rev range. This exhaust seems way too subtle to me. I'm now looking into removing the middle resonator in hopes of getting more exhaust growl in the upper rev range because as it currently sits, past about 3,500rpm the engine noise up front takes over and I can no longer hear the exhaust. Perhaps the 2.5L engine produces more noise then my 2.0L.

If anyone is scared the pull the trigger on this exhaust because of fear of it sounding ricey and loud, don't worry, this is not your typical rice can of bees. :thumbup 1:

Pics of the exhaust on the car.

Here's a video of the CorkSport intake & exhaust together.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Awesome man! If you want more noise, maybe get that same 12" vibrant resonator that I used since I think that's the smallest one available, according to the muffler guy. If you put a straight pipe it'll give you that rice can of bees sound haha

Looking forward to seeing how it looks on your car :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you say the Vibrant resonator increased exhaust growl in the low RPMs, I wouldn't want to touch the stock resonator then. The CorkSport axle back has plenty of low end grunt. If I add more, I'd be worried about highway drone.

I feel that my best bet at this point is to get an intake. The exhaust will give me nice sound in the low end and the intake will take over as I get into the mid - high end in the rev range with it's own growl.

At the moment the only option is the CorkSport short ram, and I'm just not interested in having the engine breath HOT engine bay / radiator air, so I'll wait for a proper cold air intake to be released and then jump on it.

For the time being, I'm definitely considering cutting up the stock intake box (remove the lower and upper resonators and smooth out the air flow) with maybe the addition of that drop in air filter (I forgot what it's called) but I'm not too excited about sacrificing air filtration for better air flow / noise... :001_unsure:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thanks for the review! Be sure to put up a good video, I'm interested to hear how it sounds on the 2.0.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Nice review. I think a hybrid intake (cold air box so throttle response of a short ram without the heatsoak) would be a good option. The induction/engine sound would take over in the mid/high rev range while the exhaust note can shine from start up to mid.

In my opinion mufflers (loudness) go like this:

1. stock muffer = silent breather/ninja/stealth box (pretty darn quiet)

2. canister muffler straight through = sport tuned exhaust note...very streetable since the sound levels can pass for OEM....think OEM G35/G37/370Z and the CorkSport etc. Pretty audible but not obnoxious.

3. n1 style muffler = louder than a canister muffler but quieter than a straight pipe axleback.

4. straight pipe axleback = loudest....has the "race car" sound. (for off road/track use only type of application but of course it will be driven on the street)

I think a good option for those wanting more sound is a N1 style muffler with effective use of resonators.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ik the CS website says this is not for the sedan models, but does anyone know why? Maybe they just didn't try fitting it in a sedan.

CorkSport is probably more thorough than that; I assume they tried it and there is a different mount or something on the sedan. But does anyone know?

Now that I know it's still pretty quiet, I'm a lot more interested in it. But, of course, I have the sedan :argh 1:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Ik the CS website says this is not for the sedan models, but does anyone know why? Maybe they just didn't try fitting it in a sedan.

CorkSport is probably more thorough than that; I assume they tried it and there is a different mount or something on the sedan. But does anyone know?

Now that I know it's still pretty quiet, I'm a lot more interested in it. But, of course, I have the sedan :argh 1:
The sedan's bumper does not have the cutout needed for the exhaust tips. I guess if you cut off the exhaust tips you might be able to fit it onto the sedan since everything is practically the same as hatch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
+1!!! need pics of the installed muffler + video. After hearing that it's quieter and can pass as OEM, i am more interested in the axle back (esp since you mentioned OEM g35/350z, i've always liked the exhaust note of those cars!). Im interested to hear how it sounds on a 2.0 MT too!

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
The sedan's bumper does not have the cutout needed for the exhaust tips. I guess if you cut off the exhaust tips you might be able to fit it onto the sedan since everything is practically the same as hatch.

If thats the case, cut off the exhaust tips and have the shop weld on some turn down tips. That way the exhaust gas is directed downwards and wont burn the bumper due to the shortened tips and the exhaust note will get more rumble due to the sound waves bouncing off the ground...think more Subaru boxer engine like sound. And all this will be nicely hidden on the sedan.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congrats and thanks for the review!

Patiently awaiting pictures of it on your car and sound/video clip if possible!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PICTURES ADDED To OP

Pictures of the exhaust on the 3 have been added to the original post. Check em out guys and let me know what you think.

Pics taken with iPhone 5S on a cloudy day.

I gotta run by my shop and get a proper camera so I can take a cold start video and some in car / outside runs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pictures of the exhaust on the 3 have been added to the original post. Check em out guys and let me know what you think.

Pics taken with iPhone 5S on a cloudy day.

I gotta run by my shop and get a proper camera so I can take a cold start video and some in car / outside runs.
That looks soooo nice!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It does look better then the puny OEM exhaust tips, that's for sure but I can't help but want them to be bigger, to fill in the bumper cutouts better.

I'm going to sleep on it for a while and then if I decide to get bigger tips put on, I'll post pics of what that looks like.

Obviously too big and it will look funny, which is why I'm indecisive about it at the moment.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It does look better then the puny OEM exhaust tips, that's for sure but I can't help but want them to be bigger, to fill in the bumper cutouts better.

I'm going to sleep on it for a while and then if I decide to get bigger tips put on, I'll post pics of what that looks like.

Obviously too big and it will look funny, which is why I'm indecisive about it at the moment.

I think those look perfect right now :D

·
Registered
88 Posts

IMO, it looks perfect. I think if the tips are too big, it'll look noticeably more aftermarket and less "OEM", but maybe that's what you're going for?

Pics look great man. Cant wait to hear it :):thumbup 1:

·
Registered
94 Posts
On first two gen of mada3, I would only get the hatch as the sedans looked boring, on '14 however, I thought sedan looks much sharper, and about bumper cut outs, I thought it would be one of the first after markets.
As of now, it looks they totally forgot there are some sedans too. Damn it!
I think its time to get my circular drill and resins out! Or should I? I dont know, I am not too sure.

@ Turbo this,
Congratulations. Sound awesome, looks even better.

1 - 20 of 397 Posts