2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Which tires should I choose?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm on the verge of deciding to purchase a new set of wheels and tires. While I'm solid on getting Konig Daylite 17x7 (14.5 lbs per wheel!!!), I don't know which rubber to wrap them around with. I was leaning on Kumho Ecsta 4X since its price is more generous than DWS and it is ranked competitively on Tire Rack. However, after reading some very positive reviews on Cooper Zeon RS3, which isn't listed on Tire Rack, I am no longer sure. I mean, I wanna get Cooper's and save about $60 if they are as good as Ecsta 4X.

My priorities in the new tires are:

1. Traction on all road surfaces -- I might move to snowy northern states in a year or two, so I need some snow traction as well.
2. Noise
3. Comfort
4. Tire weight/rolling resistance (DWS: 21lbs; Ecsta 4X: 20.6lbs; Cooper: 23lbs)
5. I couldn't care less about tread wear as all of these tires are supposed to have similar mileage.

·
Just call me Rabbit
480 Posts
DWS; Coopers > Kumho

Sent from a rabbit hole

Reactions: Tomato88

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So should I go with Coopers?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm running the Kumho's and am very pleased with the results. If you do a search, you'll find my review here.

Everything I put in that review still holds true today. Turn in response is good, grip is excellent in all road conditions, and they are quiet and smooth as well. I've seen no negative impact on gas mileage either...it may have improved a bit.

At the time I bought mine from Tire Rack they had a gift card offer, so when the dust settled and I got the gift card back, they worked out to less than $100 a tire. Based on what I'm getting out of them, they are worth far more than that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"I mean, I wanna get Cooper's and save about $60 if they are as good as Ecsta 4X."

It looks like positive reviews for the Cooper RS3-A all over the internet. They even won last years Consumer Reports tire test for the high performance all-season catergory. If you are looking for 205/50/17 the RS3-A are $93.35 each at TireCrawler.com Tire Results - Save on BFGoodrich, Cooper, Dunlop, Goodyear, GT Radial, Kelly,[type.product_type_id]=363&filter[type.product_type_parent_id]=285 .
Plus it states they offer free shipping if you have them delivered to one of their selected installers. Note: Home - Discount Tire Direct usually price match all competitors prices, and they ship free to your door, more convenient for you. So, my vote is for Cooper based on the majority of online reviews being positive.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Cooper's look to have less tread life then others stated.. I've had experience with the DWS and they were amazing in my dad's car. Quiet, and inspired confidence a lot more than the stock tires!

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
After more research, I guess I will cross out Cooper. It is about 2-3 lbs heavier than the others, which I believe is significant for unsprung load.

I'd be more than happy to get Conti's, but their price is actually a deal-breaker here. I can get Kumho's for about $915 with the wheels, and DWS is about $100 away. I'd rather save some to purchase SRI or springs later. So the ultimate question is: do you guys think $100 is worth the upgrade to DWS?

·
Just call me Rabbit
480 Posts
After more research, I guess I will cross out Cooper. It is about 2-3 lbs heavier than the others, which I believe is significant for unsprung load.

I'd be more than happy to get Conti's, but their price is actually a deal-breaker here. I can get Kumho's for about $915 with the wheels, and DWS is about $100 away. I'd rather save some to purchase SRI or springs later. So the ultimate question is: do you guys think $100 is worth the upgrade to DWS?
I'd say so. Just an all around better tire, especially if your looking more for comfort.

Sent from a rabbit hole

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
I'd say so. Just an all around better tire, especially if your looking more for comfort.

Sent from a rabbit hole
+1 Kuhmo's are louder from reviews that I've seen... Me, I personally despise noisy tires... and you can pick up 215-50-17 for about $550 shipped..

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I will be ordering Conti's after all. :blush 1:

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
I guess I will be ordering Conti's after all. :blush 1:
Up to you, just saying what I've read/experienced. Cooper's looked good at first glance basically comparable to contis.. then I saw the complete specs and the less tread wear I don't like on them at all.

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How is flat-spotting on DWS? I'm reading that Kumho's are prone to getting flat-spots even overnight.

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
If you order the DWS, when I ordered mine on friday along with my new wheels, the discount tire in my town had to call about 5 other stores until they found a set in the 215/45/17 size for me.

They are a very popular and are being used as stock tires for a couple of cars now. Hence they are on a 18k+ backorder from the factory...

Mine are having to come from a Discount Tire out of Tennessee.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought the Coopers a few weeks ago and I am very happy.

Ive had Kumho's in the past and wouldnt buy again...

Debated on the DWS as well but they were a touch higher in price, I didnt like the looks of them, and after speaking to many people and reading lots and lots of reviews on both, I went with the Coopers.

·
zoom freakin' zoom
618 Posts
Not sure if you've already bought tires but I voted for the Conti's. But note it's a bit biased as I'm running the DW on my Protege5 and have been very happy with them. One downside to the Conti's that quite a few have had is they have a bit of a softer sidewall than the Kumho's or others within the category. I've noticed it from time to time when driving spirited but it hasn't affected performance.

Where in the North will you be moving to? Only ask as you may want to consider buying some summer performace rubber for those lightweight wheels and once you move get a set of winter wheels and snow tires. IMO, they are worth it and a plus is you save the new wheels from the winter abuse.

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still in the market. I really want to get DWS, but the price is not as agreeable as the other two. Unless I find a real good price with the wheels I am getting, I think I will stick with Cooper or Kumho.

I might move to MA as I've applied to many schools there. Here in VA we usually get a decent a mount of snow -- except last winter -- and knowing that this winter is predicted to bring some horrendous snow storms, I'm hard-pressed to find somewhat best-of-both-worlds tires, as I'm not planning on switching wheels seasonally.

Anyone know any good online dealers other than Tire Rack, 1010 tires, and Wheel Fire that carries Enkei wheels as well?

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
I'm still in the market. I really want to get DWS, but the price is not as agreeable as the other two. Unless I find a real good price with the wheels I am getting, I think I will stick with Cooper or Kumho.

I might move to MA as I've applied to many schools there. Here in VA we usually get a decent a mount of snow -- except last winter -- and knowing that this winter is predicted to bring some horrendous snow storms, I'm hard-pressed to find somewhat best-of-both-worlds tires, as I'm not planning on switching wheels seasonally.

Anyone know any good online dealers other than Tire Rack, 1010 tires, and Wheel Fire that carries Enkei wheels as well?
From what I have found DWS are only $100 more on the size 215/50/17 from the Cooper's. But, if price is your concern then I guess Cooper's are better doesn't necessarily mean it is a better tire. I for one don't go cheaper on tires that don't have as good rating as tires are basically make your car safe. I find that spending an extra $100 to have from what reviews/ratings say as a "better" tire and make my car safe as a compromise that will pay off in the long run especially with the higher tread wear rating. Choose which ever you would like though you don't need to conform with what everyone has been doing and let us know how the tires are if you get the Coopers.

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sooo.. I'm going with DWS. I was able to work out a deal with Discount Tire, and the price was too good to pass on. :biggrin:

·
zoom freakin' zoom
618 Posts
Sweet, Discount Tire has always done right by me and price matched for me too. Once you factor in the free shipping it's a no brainer.

GL on your potential move to MA and keep those snow tires in mind. ;) Switching seasonally isn't all that bad and it's a little extra piece of mind.

·
Registered
750 Posts
How is flat-spotting on DWS? I'm reading that Kumho's are prone to getting flat-spots even overnight.
I've been running the Kumho's for over nine months and have never had any flat-spotting, and due to my job the car can often sit for a week or two without being driven.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts