2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just bought a 2008 mazda 3 i Touring with 124,000 miles on it. I just started noticing that my temperature gauge will begin to climb in steady intervals past the half-way point. If I blast the heat I can get it to drop back down to normal operating temperatures. The strange thing is this only happens when Im driving, city (but not in the city if I have to stop at lights often just at speed) or freeway and usually after about 5-10 minutes and then there is about 2 minutes between each climb of about 20% past the halfway up to the H. I have not gotten it to happen while idling in my driveway even after driving around to get it to climb first and with revving for a minute or two.

I had my friend who is in auto tech classes take a look and to him it appears there is circulation (there is heat in the hose going into the radiator and some warmth in the hose coming out), the fan turns on and off at intervals and the fluid level is satisfactory. The radiator is cold to the touch though maybe a little warmth towards the top, but the whether outside has been around 30 degrees F since this started happening. He is as puzzled as I am because to him it is doing exactly what it is supposed to. I haven't seen anyone else online with the same problem. Please, I need advice!

·
Potential Owner
47 Posts
If the radiator has cool spots (make sure you checking the rad and not the AC Condenser) that means it has clogs in the tubes. I've had and seen this happen a lot in the off road world to vehicles that are exposed to lots of dirt and dust. The sediment settles to the bottom of the radiator and eventually blocks the tubes in the radiator meaning those area's cant bleed off engine heat since there's not coolant going though them.

If you can get to it with an IR thermometer then shoot readings at various areas from bottom to top. If you see cold spots (relatively speaking) then something is blocking those passages.

You're going to have to open up the cooling system and see what's up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts