2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
More free time than money
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 3i Tourning that i drive aggressively and noticed that even after babying the car for the last 5 minutes home the fan almost always runs while its parked. I know that this is a feature but does anyone else notice this? This car should be able to handle 10-15 minutes of WoT at high speed without gasping for air.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like normal operation to me. When parked, there is no airflow thru the radiator without the fan running, therefore coolant temps will rise high enough to reach the set point that the car's ECU turns on the cooling fan.

Since you were beating the snot out of it just a few minutes earlier, the engine was heat soaked, and that 5 minute gentle ride home was not enough to bring coolant temps down sufficiently.

·
Registered
975 Posts
lol it isn't "gasping" for air. You pushed it, and then you stopped giving it flow.

Also, the fan runs anytime the A/C condenser runs, which is also during defrosting (just an FYI thing).

·
Registered
964 Posts
It's a first car that I have experienced this on and it's an interesting feature. People always ask me why the fan is on and I say "she's cooling off" :grin2:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Who cars about Bimmers? My 94 Accord 2.2L would run the fan with the engine off for a bit as well. It's obviously not NEW technology, we can all agree to that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts