2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, is it just me or are some of you also not feeling very comfortable by not seeying engine temps? The only indicator I see is when starting it illuminates blue and disappears when engine is on temp. I looked up coolant temp through Torque app and it's 98 c at idle! Is that even normal? I just recently bought my 2011 Axela Sport (Mazda 3 for North America) and put around 550km on it with 3 quarter tank consumed. I did drive agressively so for me it looks ok mpg wise (around 31.5 at the moment). Does anyone know if the temp I'm reading is ok for these engines?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Hi guys, is it just me or are some of you also not feeling very comfortable by not seeying engine temps? The only indicator I see is when starting it illuminates blue and disappears when engine is on temp. I looked up coolant temp through Torque app and it's 98 c at idle! Is that even normal? I just recently bought my 2011 Axela Sport (Mazda 3 for North America) and put around 550km on it with 3 quarter tank consumed. I did drive agressively so for me it looks ok mpg wise (around 31.5 at the moment). Does anyone know if the temp I'm reading is ok for these engines?
Yes, 208F is within a safe range...motor oil gets even warmer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really....no wonder after a good run my motor hood feels hot. Even my diesel 4x4 doesn't feel that hot to the touch.
Thanx for the input.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Rubber side down
267 Posts
Normal operating temp is between 180 to 220 F. I believe the radiator fans will kick on around 220. If you want to live monitor your coolant temp, you can pick up a ScanGauge OBDII reader. You can have it plugged in while driving the car around and get various data readouts from the OBDII plug. You will also have the added bonus of being able to read any OBDII codes that pop up on your Mazda or any other car for that matter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I have an Ebay bluetooth OBDII scanner connected to my phone whenever I want to see live data. That's where I saw the 98 C temp and kinda freaked out a bit....

·
Registered
163 Posts
I drive around with a bluetooth reader all the time. The hottest I've seen was less than 210°F but not by much. My 2015 2.0l maintains 185°F with normal driving. But on a hot day after a some highway speed driving and then idling on the off ramp, the temperature goes up. Gotta have that air blow thru the radiator and engine compartment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
if i dont want to monitor temp does it matter?
im assuming warranty will take care of any problems.
just bought a new 2018 mazda3 hatchback touring model. loving it so far. fun and love all the new tech. coming from a 2006 scion tc

·
Registered
151 Posts
2010 Mazda3 here. I used the BlueDriver OBDII scanner and my coolant temperature was a steady 190F, or 88C. If you feel your engine is hotter than usual, check your coolant reservoir. I had to top mine off with about 1 pint, (0.5 liters). Make sure you use the fluid specified by Mazda.

Also, in a pinch, just set your cabin heat to max and your fan speed to high. This will draw heat away from the engine and into the cabin. :)

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
29 Posts
That was one of the things that I don't like about my 3, the lack of gauges. It seems to me that there should be an app on the infotainment for these supplemental gauges. They have one for fuel economy, so there is a link to the ECU. I'd love to be able to display the ECT, EOT, Oil Pressure, voltage, etc. Seems very un-Zoom-Zoom to leave out that info.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Totally agree that it's a little disconcerting not having a temp gauge for real-time readings. Took me a while to get used to that moving from 1st Gen to 2nd Gen. I suppose at the end of the day they made it that way for a reason. Have never had any overheating issues with my 2nd Gen despite crappy traffic jams and super hot days or long drives. I guess you'll 'know' if you've got a problem pretty swiftly but if you keep your car fed and watered appropriately you'll be sweet.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Totally agree that it's a little disconcerting not having a temp gauge for real-time readings. Took me a while to get used to that moving from 1st Gen to 2nd Gen. I suppose at the end of the day they made it that way for a reason. Have never had any overheating issues with my 2nd Gen despite crappy traffic jams and super hot days or long drives. I guess you'll 'know' if you've got a problem pretty swiftly but if you keep your car fed and watered appropriately you'll be sweet.
Changing the antifreeze every 2 years, with the Mazda FL22 fluid would help and a functional water pump. The bigger important parts are to replace the original hoses & clamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts