2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
One 3, one 7, one fun!
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished going over the "complaints" department and I have to say I had pretty much the same feelings myself.
One thing however: Just a couple of weak pointers about the lack of a coolant gauge?

I know this car will be driven for the most part by people who just need to put it in D and go from point A to point B.
But what about the others (I am one of them)?
I have never had a car without a temperature gauge. I mean, I have never seen one without it either. I can understand the lack of oil pressure gauge. I don't like that, but I can live without it. BUT WHERE IS THE COOLANT GAUGE!!!!

Perhaps some of you live in relatively warm areas. Not the case here. I have a problem not knowing when the engine has reached operational temperatures. Especially when you step in the car at 7:30 AM, it is January and the outside temperature is -20.

I think I will either install one myself or have somebody do that for me. I was stressed over the fact that I couldn't find a spot, but my son suggested the spot to the right of what I call "the red display". There is enough room and maybe it can be installed under the semi-transparent plastic, to make it look even more stockish.

Anybody have any suggestions/ideas/intentions/desire to share their frustrations about this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have a European version with diesel engine and I miss this gauge too.
On the other hand, there is a cold-engine warning sign on the dashboard (a blue thermometer sign).
Don't you have it in the US version?

Zs

·
Registered
246 Posts
YEA!! I mean it would be nice to know if your engine is about to explode or is running hotter than normal that way you can look into it ya know?

·
One 3, one 7, one fun!
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

On the other hand, there is a cold-engine warning sign on the dashboard (a blue thermometer sign).

Zs
I'll say "No, damn!", but I'll double-check that. I am Italian and I have been living here for the last 14 years and I have experience and familiarity with Diesel cars. That to me sounds like something that belongs to a diesel powered car that is missing the coolant gauge...
I"ll get back to you, but you would think that if I had one it would be lit at least for 5 minutes every time I start up the car...

·
One 3, one 7, one fun!
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YEA!! I mean it would be nice to know if your engine is about to explode or is running hotter than normal that way you can look into it ya know?
+1:thumbup 1:

·
One 3, one 7, one fun!
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering if somebody with a Mazdaspeed 3 would be so nice to let us know where their gauge is.
I am thinking that it is somewhere in the dash. Maybe, getting that component, swapping it and adding a temp sensor under the hood...
Ideas?

·
Registered
54 Posts
i totally agree.....that's what my first question at mazda support...was it a design flaw or to make appear more minimalistic....but anyway if any problems might occur in the near future in conjunction to this design ...then it should be covered by the warranty

·
Registered
452 Posts
May be Mazda engineers are so confident that they have spared this gauge. Whatever may happen to your engine, usually when the gauge is going too far you won't notice it immediatly and you'll have some damages even if you can stop immediatly. So cross your fingers and let's hope that if you blow your engine mazda warranty will work even after the end of it.

·
One 3, one 7, one fun!
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
May be Mazda engineers are so confident that they have spared this gauge. Whatever may happen to your engine, usually when the gauge is going too far you won't notice it immediatly and you'll have some damages even if you can stop immediatly. So cross your fingers and let's hope that if you blow your engine mazda warranty will work even after the end of it.
I don't agree with that.
I admit I myself get lazy sometimes, but for the most part, I check it. Just a glance here and there. Especially because I have a 93 RX7 and they do spell disaster in case of the engine overheating.

Having said that, my problem is not really about not seeing it climbing into dangerous values so much, but the fact that I am in the dark, literally, when it comes to knowing whether or not the car has reached operating temps after I start it. And you know that the time it takes will vary depending on outside temperatures, so you can't just say 5 minutes will do or 3 minutes will do, or whatever.

Am I being too picky here?

·
Registered
227 Posts
If it's any consolation, many other newer cars have also replaced the coolant gauge with a dummy light. 2009 Honda Fit for example.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I think some of this is to save money and allow other guages to be larger. Also, I'm sure the average consumer has no idea what the proper operating temperature is for an engine, so for those buyers there is very little benefit to having a coolant guage. The minority will always suffer the majority.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hope a dummy light comes on if the car gets to hot or anything before it goes kerplowie. I was surprised not to see this as well. I'm on my 3rd car in 20 years and have never had an overheat problem but you never know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
here is the article on the manual that describe the behaviour of the coolant gauge/indicator.....When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the light illuminates momentarily and then turns off.The light flashes when the engine coolant
temperature is extremely high, and illuminates when the engine coolant temperature increases further.

I think the least thing we can do now 2010 Mazda owners it to "get used to it" and be optimistic that the new coolant design would prove more effective than the usual old design.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
here is the article on the manual that describe the behaviour of the coolant gauge/indicator.....When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position, the light illuminates momentarily and then turns off.The light flashes when the engine coolant
temperature is extremely high, and illuminates when the engine coolant temperature increases further.

I think the least thing we can do now 2010 Mazda owners it to "get used to it" and be optimistic that the new coolant design would prove more effective than the usual old design.
kudos for being the first person in 2 pages who actually read the manual.

though i admit, it's no replacement for an actual guage. finding a mounting point for an aftermarket one seems like a challenge too. i'm not sure you could find one small enough to fit behind the MID glass.

·
One 3, one 7, one fun!
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kudos for being the first person in 2 pages who actually read the manual.

though i admit, it's no replacement for an actual guage. finding a mounting point for an aftermarket one seems like a challenge too. i'm not sure you could find one small enough to fit behind the MID glass.
I did read the entire manual. My primary worry is not being able to check when the engine reaches operating temperatures and I can "let it have it". That's the biggest problem, not so much not knowing that it's overheating. The "dual stage light should actually get that part of the job done even better than a traditional gauge, as it'll start blinking (and you'll notice it for sure) before the car cooks itself.

Derrick suggested to buy & install a scangauge. I looked at it and it seems to be a clever tool (and a clever suggestion, as it is easy to install, it is small, it does 10x what you need and it is not expensive).
Besides their website suggested location (I don't like it), the small tray with power outlet in front of the stick shift in my car seems to be just about what is needed. I don't have heated seats, so the actual compartment is wide and tall enough. I need to double-check the depth, but it looks like it would be a tight but possible fit.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
I did read the entire manual. My primary worry is not being able to check when the engine reaches operating temperatures and I can "let it have it". That's the biggest problem, not so much not knowing that it's overheating. The "dual stage light should actually get that part of the job done even better than a traditional gauge, as it'll start blinking (and you'll notice it for sure) before the car cooks itself.
you seem like you know your cars pretty well so i hope this doesn't offend you, and though it's not exact science (like 3 or 5 min), you could go off the rpms. engines started cold will idle high to help warm up the engine usually 1.5. once it settles down to around 1, drive it around for a bit (this is what actually helps warm the engine), and you should be at normal operation temp. though i agree that i'd much rather have a gauge to actually tell me, this method could save you some money in buying an extra gauge.

that scangauge looks pretty cool. i might get one myself, though i use that small tray for my phone :p

·
One 3, one 7, one fun!
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you seem like you know your cars pretty well so i hope this doesn't offend you, and though it's not exact science (like 3 or 5 min), you could go off the rpms. engines started cold will idle high to help warm up the engine usually 1.5. once it settles down to around 1, drive it around for a bit (this is what actually helps warm the engine), and you should be at normal operation temp. though i agree that i'd much rather have a gauge to actually tell me, this method could save you some money in buying an extra gauge.

that scangauge looks pretty cool. i might get one myself, though i use that small tray for my phone :p
No offense, taken, no worries.
That's what I am doing -give or take- right now. It's just the winter here that will be a headache.
When it's cold out and I take my RX7 out in the driveway just to let it run for a bit -rotaries don't like to sit- sometimes I drive it down the court and back whenever it's clean, it'll take about 15 minutes to get the gauge where it's supposed to be.
So, it's quite a bit of time and that car's engine generates industrial amounts of heat under any given circumstance. So, with this one, I'll be wondering for at least those 15 minutes... Which is also a problem when compounded with the fact that my drive to work (or back) is a total of 6 kms (less than 4 miles) and takes usually 10/12 minutes tops...

That scangauge looks more and more attractive

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi,

Zs
That cold engine light has to do with the fact that your car is diesel. Our cars, not being diesel, don't have that.

BeEvil

·
One 3, one 7, one fun!
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For those picky and annoyed like me, after Derrick's suggestion, I looked a bit more into OBD II scan tools (scangauge type) and I think this will be exactly what i need:

PLX Kiwi - Save Gas, Improve MPG, Drive Green, Reduce CO2

The Kiwi MPG is tiny and will fit perfectly in the little door with the power outlet. It should (I emailed them) display the coolant temps as well as a few more items.
Interesting are also the other 2 products they sell... Just not fitting in with what I want, but I thought I'd let you know just in case.
I'll keep looking.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts