2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*The Electrician*
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im not impressed, took delivery of my Mazda 3 today, got home and was going over the car, opened up the hood and found the coolant overflow cap not properly secured. Didn't notice any leaked coolant, but definitely not happy about it. Should I be concerned with air in the coolant system now or will it bleed itself off like most modern systems? I doubt it will be an issue, and its all warranty now anyway. Not a good start to my new car grrrrr

·
Registered
42 Posts
The coolant overflow tank is open to the atmosphere through the overflow hose so don't worry about air in the system - it's just a holding tank.

·
*The Electrician*
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok good that's what I thought, just glad it didn't make a mess

·
Registered
38 Posts
When at operating temperature, there is always an overpressure in the cooling system that won't allow air to get in. Air might get sucked in during the process of cooling down if there is an open coolant cap, but the overflow tank itself will always act as a water/air separator so any air present in the system will automatically land there anyway. Just make sure the cap is secured, check the coolant level from time to time and you will be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts