2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a coolant drain and fill (unscrew drain plug, drain, screw in drain plug, fill up radiator) introduce a bunch of air to the system? If so, how do I go about getting rid of the air in the cooling system?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Review CarCareKiosk/video/2014_mazda_3_touring
Go to #12 video on burping the system.
Also check out Mazda 3 Forum How to drain antifreeze. For link to DYI--You're basically squeezing the upper radiator hose while the engine is running and the heater controls on high to circulate the 50/50 coolant mix I.e. Distilled Water/Anti Freeze.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Review CarCareKiosk/video/2014_mazda_3_touring
Go to #12 video on burping the system.
Also check out Mazda 3 Forum How to drain antifreeze. For link to DYI--You're basically squeezing the upper radiator hose while the engine is running and the heater controls on high to circulate the 50/50 coolant mix I.e. Distilled Water/Anti Freeze.
Does the OEM coolant in the car (the "FL22") have the 50/50 coolant mix? Service manual lists only 65/35, 55/45, 45/55. Hope someone could clarify :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
In your manual, page 6-31 it says this-

Do not use a solution that contains more
than 60% antifreeze.
This would reduce effectiveness
Ehtylene Glycol antifreeze, non siicate, no alcohol, borate or methanol.
FL22 is the green premix stuff that is sold by dealers at a huge markup....

Sometimes it helps to put the front wheels up on ramps to get the radiator fill cap elevated above the motor. This can get any trapped air to escape more readily when filling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts