2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone run purple ice or dominator coolant boost? Had any issues or any difficulty? And are the benefits noticeable

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm also interested to find ways to keep our direct injected, high compression engines cool.
Good true synthetic will help, it would be good to find out how we could add Coolant addditive like Red Line water wetter or Royal Purple products to coolant ?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Way I look at it is ,if there was an advantage don't you think Mazda would use it. On the other hand maybe the FLl-22 coolant already had it as an additive but not listed separately in the additives listing. Adding more may have added costs but no added benefits ?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I probably wouldn't bother until I has several years of age on the coolant or a ton of miles. My family has always used Wynns additives for fuel cleaner and coolant lubricants very high quality stuff designed to make fleet vehicles last longer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Way I look at it is ,if there was an advantage don't you think Mazda would use it. On the other hand maybe the FLl-22 coolant already had it as an additive but not listed separately in the additives listing. Adding more may have added costs but no added benefits ?
Mazda, Ford, Toyota, and others all do stuff for the average use of car. They rarely ever jump the gun and do stuff for the greater good without seeing $$$. If a slight increase in performance is worth $12 to you then do it.

Cars of the 90's seemed to have the greatest improvements per dollar tuner mods. Many of today ideals in new cars are from these tuner mods. Direct Injection came from early farmers. I can't wait till they get into using modern technology in these cars.

Maybe if they get this Commodore 64 out of my infotainment system I might be in luck.

Never listen to people's negative thoughts on mods. But listen for reasonable dangers.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mazda, Ford, Toyota, and others all do stuff for the average use of car. They rarely ever jump the gun and do stuff for the greater good without seeing $$$. If a slight increase in performance is worth $12 to you then do it.

Cars of the 90's seemed to have the greatest improvements per dollar tuner mods. Many of today ideals in new cars are from these tuner mods. Direct Injection came from early farmers. I can't wait till they get into using modern technology in these cars.

Maybe if they get this Commodore 64 out of my infotainment system I might be in luck.

Never listen to people's negative thoughts on mods. But listen for reasonable dangers.
You made an interesting statement regarding "direct injection came from early farmers". Can you be more specific on how they accomplished this , what kind of motor and when ?

Your comment about the infotainment system , what is it you don't like or is it because it doesn't do what you want it to ?
Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
Diesel trucks have been direct injected for a very long time.. as well as tractors.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You made an interesting statement regarding "direct injection came from early farmers". Can you be more specific on how they accomplished this , what kind of motor and when ?

Your comment about the infotainment system , what is it you don't like or is it because it doesn't do what you want it to ?
Thanks
My source of information.

Gasoline direct injection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Compared to a modern Alpine/Kenwood head units the software sort of sucks. Mine is still very buggy. There is also a noticeable software lag compared to Alpine/Kenwood. I only know this because i'm looking for a full feature head unit for my wifes car. The blue tooth,MP3 USB stick and Nav system were all noticeably quicker.

One of my friends is an Airplane Mechanic/Aeronautical Engineer He like his race cars but laughs at how poorly modern car engines are designed compared to Airplanes.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Diesel trucks have been direct injected for a very long time.. as well as tractors.
In reference to the direct injection , yes Diesel engines are direct injection but we were discussing direct injection on gasoline engines. History tells us that yes direct injection for gasoline has been around for a long time but has not been very successful in auto engines and was used somewhat in German aircraft during the Second World War in the aviation sector and I will add earlier than that also on a very very limited basis and then mostly on an experimental basis.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My source of information.

Gasoline direct injection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Compared to a modern Alpine/Kenwood head units the software sort of sucks. Mine is still very buggy. There is also a noticeable software lag compared to Alpine/Kenwood. I only know this because i'm looking for a full feature head unit for my wifes car. The blue tooth,MP3 USB stick and Nav system were all noticeably quicker.

One of my friends is an Airplane Mechanic/Aeronautical Engineer He like his race cars but laughs at how poorly modern car engines are designed compared to Airplanes.
Yes , Wiki does explain the history of the direct injection over the years, decades and century but I failed to find or read we're farmers made any development or inroads into direct injection gasoline engines with spark ignition . It was used with some success with German WWll aircraft engines.

As for the comparison between the slower speed at which the Mazda infotainment system operates compared to your Alpine audio system operates really is not an equal comparison as the Alipine audio system does not handle all the other functions that the infotainment system is set up for ie engine warnings like high engine coolant, charging system malfunction, I-Eloop functions...... Oh and also the backup camera function. I won't say the GPS nav system is the best as it is not. But then that program is done by Navteq..... Would definitely like to see the storage of names with address , not just addresses. Some time ago I had suggested using a faster Sd card for the Nav system in order to speed the operation and information retrieval up which seems to be more successful. Later on every owner and his dog claims to have come up with this improvement on their own.

In reference to aviation engines to auto engines by your friend made me laugh...... So he is comparing a $20,000 aircraft engine to a $20,000 complete car ( let's talk new to new now) Actually the gasoline aviation industry has been very slow in innovations and has copied many innovations that came out with use in the auto industry : ie electronic fuel injection, electronic spark ignition, turbocharging and others. Having said forced injection that has been around in aviation for a long time but in the form of direct drive supercharging not so sure about any success in the turbo end of it. There may be more comparisons I might have missed that aviation may have copied from the auto industry. There is some success in using auto engines in aircraft but don't see much success in aircraft engines in automotive use. ie Chev V8 , Subaru , VW and I believe possibly Suzuki.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Anyone run purple ice or dominator coolant boost? Had any issues or any difficulty? And are the benefits noticeable
I'm also interested to find ways to keep our direct injected, high compression engines cool.
Good true synthetic will help, it would be good to find out how we could add Coolant addditive like Red Line water wetter or Royal Purple products to coolant ?
If you don't know how to add a 12oz bottle of coolant additive to your car's cooling system, please, don't mess up your car and leave it alone.

As for the rest of us, removing the lower panel will expose the radiator drain bolt. Removing some coolant and exchanging it for say Redline's Water Wetter is easy.

Redline says that adding Water Wetter to water only yields up to -20F cooling effect.

Mixing Water Wetter with a 50/50 mix of coolant/water yields less result but if you're interested in potentially lowering the coolant temps 5F +/- then it's definitely worth it.

Engine temps are controlled by the thermostat and radiator cap. Upgrading though components will yield better results then any additive can ever dream about.

This is a modern, efficient engine, I'm pretty sure that Mazda has done their homework and have the engines temps under control, so unless you're creating A LOT MORE heat via a Turbo or Supercharger, i wouldn't bother with upgrading the cooling system on a stock block.

I have to agree that the Skyactive engines do run HOT. A good example is my 2.0L, which after a spirited drive in 95F weather with little cool off time was actually VERY HOT... how hot? Well, I pulled into the garage, turned the car off and noticed that the radiator fans were still working. I've seen older Honda Accords do this, so I wasn't too surprised but what got me was that I came back into the garage 3-4 minutes later and they were STILL ON!!! :confused1 1: after roughly 5 minutes after I shut the engine off, the fans finally stopped. Perhaps it's designed this way to keep itself cool between runs, who knows but I haven't been able to replicate the situation again since then, although I haven't really tried.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
583 Posts
A consideration with coolant is as you add more ( higher percentage) antifreeze ; the less effective the transfer of heat from the motor ,to coolant, to rad and finally into the airflow. What I am saying is a 25/75 mixture , antifreeze to water is more efficient than a 50/50 mix. Only thing with the 25/75 might be wise to add a bit of rust inhibitor and water pump lube and this could be done with water wetters , under many different brand names.

Regarding the fans running for the 5 minutes after shutdown it may have been better to let the motor idle for a bit to circulate the coolant from the block to the rad as this would create a faster cool down . What probably happened with shutting the motor off right away the coolant does not flow and most of the heart is trapped in the motor where the sensors are so would keep the fans running longer.

In the past , turbo Saabs would have the motor continue to run to cool the oil/motor down before motor shutdown after a hard run or hot day ; even with the key turned off and removed. Lock the doors and walk away. Don't know if any of the current turbo motors of any brands
work this way , today.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes , Wiki does explain the history of the direct injection over the years, decades and century but I failed to find or read we're farmers made any development or inroads into direct injection gasoline engines with spark ignition . It was used with some success with German WWll aircraft engines.

As for the comparison between the slower speed at which the Mazda infotainment system operates compared to your Alpine audio system operates really is not an equal comparison as the Alpine audio system does not handle all the other functions that the infotainment system is set up for ie engine warnings like high engine coolant, charging system malfunction, I-Eloop functions...... Oh and also the backup camera function. I won't say the GPS nav system is the best as it is not. But then that program is done by Navteq..... Would definitely like to see the storage of names with address , not just addresses. Some time ago I had suggested using a faster Sd card for the Nav system in order to speed the operation and information retrieval up which seems to be more successful. Later on every owner and his dog claims to have come up with this improvement on their own.

In reference to aviation engines to auto engines by your friend made me laugh...... So he is comparing a $20,000 aircraft engine to a $20,000 complete car ( let's talk new to new now) Actually the gasoline aviation industry has been very slow in innovations and has copied many innovations that came out with use in the auto industry : ie electronic fuel injection, electronic spark ignition, turbocharging and others. Having said forced injection that has been around in aviation for a long time but in the form of direct drive supercharging not so sure about any success in the turbo end of it. There may be more comparisons I might have missed that aviation may have copied from the auto industry. There is some success in using auto engines in aircraft but don't see much success in aircraft engines in automotive use. ie Chev V8 , Subaru , VW and I believe possibly Suzuki.
I'm missing the farmers info on direct injection. Early tuner history was were I found my original findings. There were some great advances in turbo's and Direct Injection made by farmers in the early 1900's.

Aviation engines are preferred among air boats. Yes there is added cost for aviation motor VS some small block Chevy but the reliability and low maintenance will outweigh the extra cost. But some do not see it that way and people still use small block motors for air boats. It is the stupid skimping on automotive engines that is most significant vs aviation. For just a few hundred bucks an automotive engine can double or triple it's life. Besides that there is the skimping on fuel economy.

Now the headers on the new Mazda 3 are state of the art. For todays cars the headers are revolutionary.

Alpine and Kenwood do a great job of taking over all the functions of the ford infotainment system. I think Mazda skimped on programing and CPU/chipset.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Regarding the fans running for the 5 minutes after shutdown it may have been better to let the motor idle for a bit to circulate the coolant from the block to the rad as this would create a faster cool down . What probably happened with shutting the motor off right away the coolant does not flow and most of the heart is trapped in the motor where the sensors are so would keep the fans running longer.

In the past , turbo Saabs would have the motor continue to run to cool the oil/motor down before motor shutdown after a hard run or hot day ; even with the key turned off and removed. Lock the doors and walk away. Don't know if any of the current turbo motors of any brands
work this way , today.
If I had a 600hp turbo Toyota Supra with $9,000 in engine modifications, I can see a turbo timer idling the engine after shutoff to cool it down but idling your average, daily driver 2.0L Mazda 3 in the garage for several minutes to cool it down is hilarious to me.

Since Mazda didn't think it was a good idea to instal a proper engine temperature gauge in car, I have no way of knowing if the engine is overheating except if the red dummy light comes on when it's probably too late to do anything...

I have a Scan Gauge II installed so I can see a digital readout of the engine temp. During normal highway driving, the coolant temp is 179-190F and it goes into the 220s while idling at red light, etc. The temp on the scan gauge was within normal temp on that day when I pulled into the garage and shut off the engine. I don't know why the fans were going for so long. We shall see as time goes on...

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm missing the farmers info on direct injection. Early tuner history was were I found my original findings. There were some great advances in turbo's and Direct Injection made by farmers in the early 1900's.

Aviation engines are preferred among air boats. Yes there is added cost for aviation motor VS some small block Chevy but the reliability and low maintenance will outweigh the extra cost. But some do not see it that way and people still use small block motors for air boats. It is the stupid skimping on automotive engines that is most significant vs aviation. For just a few hundred bucks an automotive engine can double or triple it's life. Besides that there is the skimping on fuel economy.

Now the headers on the new Mazda 3 are state of the art. For todays cars the headers are revolutionary.

Alpine and Kenwood do a great job of taking over all the functions of the ford infotainment system. I think Mazda skimped on programing and CPU/chipset.
Statements were made , questions were asked and not answered and what does aircraft engines and airboats got to do with Mazda Skyactive technology ? To reply to your statement about aircraft engines in airboats is that they were worn out past being economical to rebuild for aero use. It's like putting them out to pasture .

Let's get back on track......yes I will partially agree that the infotainment is not perfect as there are things I would like to see updated in the future. Regarding replacing the infotainment system with aftermarket stuff... Don't hold your breath on that one as the infotainment system is tied into more things than just your audio/GPS functions.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Statements were made , questions were asked and not answered and what does aircraft engines and airboats got to do with Mazda Skyactive technology ? To reply to your statement about aircraft engines in airboats is that they were worn out past being economical to rebuild for aero use. It's like putting them out to pasture .

Let's get back on track......yes I will partially agree that the infotainment is not perfect as there are things I would like to see updated in the future. Regarding replacing the infotainment system with aftermarket stuff... Don't hold your breath on that one as the infotainment system is tied into more things than just your audio/GPS functions.

Car engines are way behind times compared to aircraft. Baby steps is all there taking here.

The ford Infotainment system is in the same boat as Mazda much more than just a head unit. Accept it is easy to replace and not loose functions.

With enough complaints and enough sales we might get the big manufactures to make us something nice. I doubt the sales will be there, but I can always hope.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not going back to that one as there is so little knowledge on aircraft engine design and technology over the last 100 years.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Ok, first of all quit comparing aviation engines to automotive engines; especially reciprocating gasoline engines. Most general aviation aircraft you see flying around (propeller) are power by a carbureted engine, which using 100 octane leaded fuel. You control the air fuel mixture based on your altitude, density altitude, cylinder temperature etc.. On some you control the manifold pressure as well. I can start these engines if the battery is dead because they also have dual magnetos all you gotta do is spin the prop. These engines have many more factors to consider in their operations compared to an automotive engine. Unless you are talking about auto engines being used in aircraft (which the majority are not auto engines) the argument is moot. Many of these engines are the same basic engine that have been built for 30+ years, because unlike a car you cannot just go "tuning" a aircraft engine. The FAA does not allow it, unless your aircraft is "experimental". Fuel injected aircraft engines cost more, and cost more to maintain. They are not as common on general aviation aircraft.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks , Chris... That was exactly the point I was making but you worded it much better than I could have done. Thanks

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have to agree that the Skyactive engines do run HOT. A good example is my 2.0L, which after a spirited drive in 95F weather with little cool off time was actually VERY HOT... how hot? Well, I pulled into the garage, turned the car off and noticed that the radiator fans were still working. I've seen older Honda Accords do this, so I wasn't too surprised but what got me was that I came back into the garage 3-4 minutes later and they were STILL ON!!! :confused1 1: after roughly 5 minutes after I shut the engine off, the fans finally stopped. Perhaps it's designed this way to keep itself cool between runs, who knows but I haven't been able to replicate the situation again since then, although I haven't really tried. .

work this way , today.
A little update regarding the running fans after engine shutdown...

Today I ran the car hard again on the way home but still had the typical 1 minute drive in 3rd gear @ 2,200rpm through the neighborhood before I reached my garage and turned off the engine. I hear the fans running so I popped the hood to confirm. Yep, fans are running and there's a buzzing sound around the throttle body area.

I went and turned the engine on and checked the coolant temp on the Scan Gauge II and it was 185F with intake temps @ 90F (well below the typical 210F+ which is when the fans usually come on which the engine is idling)

I went under the hood and the fans are OFF with the engine running. I quickly shut off the engine and BAM, the fans come on and remain running for several minutes.

The AC was off during my spirited drive and test in the garage.

I can't explain the phenomenon other then maybe Mazda has an electric water pump that is the source of the buzzing and it pumps coolant through the block while the fans cool it down after the engine is shut off in a HOT state, after spirited driving, for example. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts