2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 14' iGT I bought pre-owned from Carmax a while ago with 25k miles I love the car.

Anyway I noticed that the keyfob light would light up (green) in the dash after I turned the car off. I looked it up on the manual and it stated that the either the keyless entry/push button start system might have a problem or the battery needs to be replaced.

I thought it was weird that the battery might need replacing since its 2yrs old and it would still lock/unlock the car from across a big parking lot and never gave me any issues using the push button start.
So I decided to buy new CR2025 batteries per the manual and swapped them.

I'm a tech junkie so before I did I checked the voltage with my volt/amp meter and the old battery read 2.88V
The new energizer battery I was replacing it with read 3.25v
So it was definitely starting to run low (even though it didn't show any symptoms)

Now this morning when I got to work and turned the car off - voila, no more keyfob light on the dash

I thought it's a really cool feature that the car tells you ahead of time that the battery may be running low on the keyfob.

A little disappointing that the battery needed to be replaced this soon though... perhaps the push button start system drains the battery a little more since it has to keep connection and ensure the keyfob is in the car.

Reactions: ElNino77

·
Registered
294 Posts
My key is a little over 1 year old, sometimes when the key is in my pocket and I start the car, the "key is outside of the car" beeping will start. This only started happening a few weeks ago. I have to open the door and take the key out of my pocket for the car to "see" the key. I have to look out for the green light you're talking about.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My key is a little over 1 year old, sometimes when the key is in my pocket and I start the car, the "key is outside of the car" beeping will start. This only started happening a few weeks ago. I have to open the door and take the key out of my pocket for the car to "see" the key. I have to look out for the green light you're talking about.
I never had that happen to me

The light looks like this (this is from a diff car not our mazda 3)

I don't get the light after I turn the car off anymore

However, it turns on whenever I'm about to turn the car on and press the brake pedal. I don't know if that's normal
(edit: this is normal for vehicles with push button start, both the key light in the dash lights up (green) and the push button start light when you press the brake pedal)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts