2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently got a 2012 mazda 3 (Canadian model if that matters) with the basic stereo with no steering wheel controls. Is it possible to swap out thr steering wheel, clock spring, and stereo with the upgraded stock radio with Bluetooth.
Would it be plug and play? I used to work for Nissan and they only ever made one wiring harness and just plugged in whatever equipment was specified.
Thank you for your help

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey,

You can swap the steering wheel for the one with the buttons. No nee to change the clock spring. Right away you will have the volume button and the change track / station button active. The cruise control buttons will have to be activated through the BCM (dealership visit required). The bluetooth buttons will not work, unless you install the blue tooth unit and all associated wiring and mic. The buttons for the Middle information display (MID) will only work if you install the 2 screen MID.

The head unit for both the Bose system and the regular system are the same. The Bose system has a different wiring harness that sends your head units speaker wires to an amp and then the Bose speakers are wired to the amp.

I have swapped the steering wheel myself and added the bluetooth unit and the Navigation unit to my 2012 base model (Canadian).

The steering wheel swap was easy giving me volume control. Bluetooth was a challenge as it require creating some custom harnesses and wiring the system to the car (there is nothing in the car). the nav system in the MID was fairly simple with only minor mods to the stock harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the info. I'm not really interested in the MID so that isn't a big deal. For the bluetooth unit. Is it a separate module that I can yank from a scrap yard? Does it get wired into the head unit? If so I can grab all the connectors and make my own harness.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bluetooth is a stand alone unit and a separate mic. These can be salvaged from scraped cars at a salvage yard, that's how I got mine.

if you this route you will need all the connectors from the scrap car for the bluetooth module, the mic, and it would be a great ideal to grab the connector for the head unit and the clock spring from the donor car.

You will will need to add pins to your clock spring connector and head unit connectors. You will need to mount the mic in your car in the head liner and wire it from the Bluetooth module which will be mounted behind your glove box.

Honestly after doing it myself I would recommend replacing the head unit to something with Bluetooth. It will probably be cheaper and it will definitely be less intrusive to your car.

I am including wiring diagrams for your reference.

If you have anymore questions I will do my best to help. Keep in Mind I did this back in 2014 so I may have forgotten a few things.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts