2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some of the files on my iPod are .MP4's. Not MP4's but .MP4's. I need to convert these to MP3 so I can listen to them in the car. I am hoping someone in this forum knows how to do this. I am 50 and it is a struggle to learn this crap. So please help

Don

·
Registered
29 Posts
here you go
https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/convert-mp4-to-mp3
you can use that website to convert your files. There are instructions on the website if you just scroll down a bit. If that doesn't work send me one of the files you're trying to convert, and I'll see what I can do for you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
here you go
https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/convert-mp4-to-mp3
you can use that website to convert your files. There are instructions on the website if you just scroll down a bit. If that doesn't work send me one of the files you're trying to convert, and I'll see what I can do for you.
When I try to use that it says that file .MP4 is not supported. So this isn't working for me. Thanks though

Don

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can also plug the ipod into the system.
Yes but the iPod doesn't remember where it left off after shutting down. It starts over from the first file which in my case is AC/DC Hells Bells. If there were a way to remedy that I am all ears as that is all I wanted from the get go.

Don

·
Working Class Hero
3,611 Posts
You could also use an auxiliary cable instead of the ipod cable. You would lose dash control, but it would remember where it was.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just said screw it and found new music online to replace the old. Took a few hours and I am updating my flash drive now. Thanks for the tips

Don

·
Registered
34 Posts
The system supports MP3, and AAC (also Vorbis, but few people are using that, and Flac with a mod installed, and some others)
an .MP4 is usually just an AAC file with an extension the car doesnt understand.

as long as it isnt an itunes store purchase copy protected thing, or some super high bitrate apple lossless file (most of those work anyway) you should be able to just rename the file to .M4A and it should work.

worst case is you have to convert to mp3 with some extra software (like FRE:AC, or DBPOWERAMP converter), that would sacrifice some quality but would give you a standard MP3.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don,

Be careful with some of the free downloadable converters, they're just a bunch of malware.

Last night I just had to convert a bunch of flac files to mp3 using http://media.io .... I was a bit leery at first so I did everything on a virtual machine and then scan the results with antivirus/malware program and they came out clean. You simply upload your files on the left, it automatically converts them, and when it's all done at the bottom left side will bea "all files.zip" that you can click on and download all the new files in one shot.

Of course just throw on a USB stick and put it back in your car and you're good to go.

I will say the one disadvantage of converting files is that you lose the metadata. But if you only have a few songs it's easy to update just using Windows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One way to do this is to drag the MP4 file into Audacity (Audacity®). Worse case scenario, Audacity doesn't open it. If it works, it'll accept the file and let you export it as an MP3. That's what I typically do to extract audio from videos.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts