2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a quick search but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if the halogen and bi-xenon led drl headlights are a straight swap?

Found a set for sale and the connectors look the same (First pic is bi-xenon, second is halogen) but don't know of they'll work.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,962 Posts
Be careful using HIDs in a halogen reflector. Some HID bulbs produce a lot of IR and can burn the reflective coating in the light box.
Also, the headlight system controls the voltage to the high beam bulbs, lowering the power by almost half when just the DRLs are used. This is fine when using the incandescent halogen bulbs but might be an issue with bi-xenon HIDs and most certainly with the LEDs. The high beams may or may not function correctly but the DRLs probably won't without the proper decoder harness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idea was to change the whole headlight assembly but I've been made aware since that it's not a direct swap.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 3 iSport with a few mods
18 Posts
I’ve pulled off a retrofit
I run Bi-Xenon HIDs (Osram 66240 CBI) with 6000k halo rings custom mounted onto my projectors.
Other 3 owners break their neck taking a look as I drive by 😏
But really, if you want good lighting, without a doubt I would do this again a million times over. Halogens just plain suck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve pulled off a retrofit
I run Bi-Xenon HIDs (Osram 66240 CBI) with 6000k halo rings custom mounted onto my projectors.
Other 3 owners break their neck taking a look as I drive by 😏
But really, if you want good lighting, without a doubt I would do this again a million times over. Halogens just plain suck View attachment 275912 View attachment 275913
Hi Chucks719,

That looks really good! Have you got any pics of the headlight, in particular the halo ring? I'll be honest I haven't got an issue with the light output of my halogen bulbs which I've upgraded and I also have LED side/parking lights. For me it's more about the aesthetics as I love the LED DRL look and didn't realise this car came without them.

Also did you work on the original headlights or work on some spares? I have been considering buying a spare pair and splitting them open and having a go at installing some custom DRLs.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 3 iSport with a few mods
18 Posts
Hi Chucks719,

That looks really good! Have you got any pics of the headlight, in particular the halo ring? I'll be honest I haven't got an issue with the light output of my halogen bulbs which I've upgraded and I also have LED side/parking lights. For me it's more about the aesthetics as I love the LED DRL look and didn't realise this car came without them.

Also did you work on the original headlights or work on some spares? I have been considering buying a spare pair and splitting them open and having a go at installing some custom DRLs.

Thanks
I worked on my originals. I swapped my original halogen projectors with bi-xenon projectors. I installed matsushita genV ballasts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I worked on my originals. I swapped my original halogen projectors with bi-xenon projectors. I installed matsushita genV ballasts. View attachment 275914 View attachment 275915
They look great, The halo rings are exactly what I'm looking for! I might look into doing that myself, I've found a cheaper set of headlights made by a 3rd part manufacturer that look good so might try it on those opposed to tearing open my originals. Really appreciate the pictures, given me some inspiration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They look great, The halo rings are exactly what I'm looking for! I might look into doing that myself, I've found a cheaper set of headlights made by a 3rd part manufacturer that look good so might try it on those opposed to tearing open my originals. Really appreciate the pictures, given me some inspiration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These are a plug and play set that I purchased from Protuninglabs for my 2015 Mazda 3 I Touring. These headlamps are HID's with LED Halo's. Got the halos wired to run as my DRL's so the car has a bit of a BMW look. Got the wiring and install in NJ by Lightwerkz

·
Registered
64 Posts
These are a plug and play set that I purchased from Protuninglabs for my 2015 Mazda 3 I Touring. These headlamps are HID's with LED Halo's. Got the halos wired to run as my DRL's so the car has a bit of a BMW look. Got the wiring and install in NJ by Lightwerkz View attachment 276000
That looks really good, which pn did you order?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts