2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought LED replacements for the fog lights, as they have to be removed to put the new bumper in place. Elected not to replace the signal light bulbs with LEDs based on bad experience by others with the 4 way flashers.

Think they will remove the right fender liner to inspect the headlight assembly (hooved rat did most of the damage to the grill center and right side of grill and bumper). Thinking of getting LEDs for the DRL and marker light bulbs and have them replace the bulbs when they do so. May ask them to remove the left fender liner and replace the DRL and marker light bulbs on that side, too.

The HIDs are good for 2,000 hours. That's at least 7 years running time with my wife using them every morning for 20 to 40 minutes going to/from the gym. So, will leave them.

Any knowledge on this, let me know. Appreciate the comments so far. I'm very knowledgeable on cars, having done my own maintenance since around '58 to the last few years. Just getting up in age and not familiar with the new stuff. You'll get there some day, too.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
I've bought LED replacements for the fog lights, as they have to be removed to put the new bumper in place. Elected not to replace the signal light bulbs with LEDs based on bad experience by others with the 4 way flashers.
There is no reason not to replace the signal lights with LEDs, it makes a huge difference. The only thing is you just can't use the bulbs with built in resistors as noted elsewhere. If you put regular 7443 LED bulbs in its a simple matter to add an inline plug-in resistor.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't see incentive to put LED bulb in if you have to put in a resistor to make it work. The point is to save energy. Won't with the resistor in there.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Can't see incentive to put LED bulb in if you have to put in a resistor to make it work. The point is to save energy. Won't with the resistor in there.
This is a joke right? Save energy? The point of LEDs is to have brighter illumination. Saving energy isn't much of a concern....

I assume the DRL is a separate bulb from the low beam HID?
Again, if you would read your owners manual you would see that since your car has bi-xenon headlights, the DRLs are LEDs....its right in the chart on page 9-9.....

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Shoot. Only the marker lights that aren't just halogen. Don't think I'll monkey with them. Some YouTube videos indicate that you can get to them from underhood. Maybe have to remove the fender liners to get the HIDs in/out? None of the YouTube videos I found covered the HIDs. They appear to have a flat metal something between the connector and the bulb that is screwed to the headlight assembly. Absolutely never had these things before but have them on both the Mz3 and Mx5, and they're great. Just haven't changed out any of them. Hardly ever use the lights on the Mx5.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should not be that hard. The VW Jetta bulbs were so easy to get to under the hood.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Should not be that hard. The VW Jetta bulbs were so easy to get to under the hood.
Maybe so, but this car isn't a Jetta. You need to remove the intake to get access to the drivers side lights, and the passenger side has a bunch of stuff including some A/C piping in the way. Its quicker and easier to go through the fender wells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts