2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 mazda 3 that just reached 29000 miles of easy driving and noticed oil on the garage floor.After investigation I found it to be coming from the drivers side aft control arm bushing.Has this been a problem for others?In my mind this is really early to have this kind of a failure

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Control arm bushings dont have oil. That being said I would make sure the strut isn't leaking or a torn cv boot. Very unlikely but look at the brake caliper too. Also not normal for the mileage but make sure the steering rack isn't leaking

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the car up on jacks and inspected everything, absolutely no leaks on any other components.I got on the internet and it seems that there are other vehicles especially Honda that do have oil filled bushings/bearings on the control arm that they are calling a compliance bushings.Is it possible that this is in fact one of those as well?The oil has stopped coming out over this week of driving so I cleaned it up to get a good look at it,there is a split in the rubber that exposes a cavity so if it was filled with oil it has now all leaked out.I have decided to give it some miles but it has become o quest to find a definitive answer to to oil filled question.the dealers in town do not know they are just part changers and the Mazda online chat had no answers either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From the time a car is new, I spray silicone on the bushings 2-3 times a year just to keep the rubber in good shape (like a dressing). That also helps in winter when salt is used and the car can't be cleaned as regularly, but when the weather is warm enough, I hose off the underside just to wash away and neutralize as much salt as possible.

Back to the bushings... The silicone keeps them from developing that "elephant skin" dry out that leads to them tearing faster. I've replaced lots of bushings in my day and it sucks. Replacing the entire control arm is much quicker, albeit more expensive. Then, because one LCA would be new and the other would have x-number of miles, I'd replace them as a pair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts