2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a set of Continental PureContacts for my 3. I would like to hear from folks that have experience with these tires, specifically:

- is tread life consistent with the 70K miles rating?
- how is performance in wet and snow, especially past 30K miles
- noise of tires, especially as the miles have accumulated

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I purchased the Continental Pure Contact 205/55R16 for my wifes new 2013 Honda Civic EX. She"s a high milage driver and put about 69k on them before switching to Michelin Defenders. Being a high milage tire means they are not as grippy as my Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 or BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-AS2. The Continental's still had had over 4/32's left when we felt their wet handiling was loosing their grip. Fair to good in light snow even after 40k not so good after 60k. We choose our tires based on wet grip 1st, braking accident avoidance 2nd and snow handling 3rd then high milage 4th. We don't worry about greater mpg in a tire as driving in a area of DC metro requires handling above gas mileage considerations. If you are a sedate driver not dealing with individuals cutting you off in traffic packled high speed 58 to 65 mph rush hour traffic go for a greater low rolling resistant tire for better gas milage.

My daughter recently replaced her Camry's SE oem tires with the Contintenal Pure Contact based on my wife's recommendation.

·
Registered
502 Posts
if you're looking at wet handling and performance, michelin's pilot super sport or bridgestone potenza's re003 are a couple i can recommend from experience. if you're not looking into super high performance ones, then look to the pilot sport 3..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased the Continental Pure Contact 205/55R16 for my wifes new 2013 Honda Civic EX. She"s a high milage driver and put about 69k on them before switching to Michelin Defenders. Being a high milage tire means they are not as grippy as my Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 or BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-AS2. The Continental's still had had over 4/32's left when we felt their wet handiling was loosing their grip. Fair to good in light snow even after 40k not so good after 60k. We choose our tires based on wet grip 1st, braking accident avoidance 2nd and snow handling 3rd then high milage 4th. We don't worry about greater mpg in a tire as driving in a area of DC metro requires handling above gas mileage considerations. If you are a sedate driver not dealing with individuals cutting you off in traffic packled high speed 58 to 65 mph rush hour traffic go for a greater low rolling resistant tire for better gas milage.

My daughter recently replaced her Camry's SE oem tires with the Contintenal Pure Contact based on my wife's recommendation.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Why did you switch to the Michelin Defenders if your wife recommended the Continental PCs? I also live in the DC area and agree that wet handling and agility are important.

·
Registered
135 Posts
tots
I chose to change over to the Michelin Defender from the Continental Pure Contact in search of more wet handling capabilities, i.e. braking and accident avoidance maneuvering. Same reasoning when getting my Mazda 3S new rubber I switched from the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/ 3 to the BF Goodrich g-Force sport comp AS2. I'm a more aggressive driver and forgo the high mileage tire for better grip. Lucky for me I drive 1/2 the mileage that my wife does.

Both the Continental Pure Contact and the Michelin Defender are very good choices for a more sedate driving style high mileage driving. The same can also be said that for the performance driving on occasion I like the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 or BF Goodrich g-Force sport comp AS2.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Even though the above post discusses the Michelin A/S 3's, I instead included TireRack comparison evaluations between the Pilot A/S 3+ (which is what many of us are now choosing) vs. the BF Goodrich g-Force AS2.

And as mentioned earlier the Conti DWS 06 is another really, really good tire.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tots
I chose to change over to the Michelin Defender from the Continental Pure Contact in search of more wet handling capabilities, i.e. braking and accident avoidance maneuvering. Same reasoning when getting my Mazda 3S new rubber I switched from the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/ 3 to the BF Goodrich g-Force sport comp AS2. I'm a more aggressive driver and forgo the high mileage tire for better grip. Lucky for me I drive 1/2 the mileage that my wife does.

Both the Continental Pure Contact and the Michelin Defender are very good choices for a more sedate driving style high mileage driving. The same can also be said that for the performance driving on occasion I like the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 or BF Goodrich g-Force sport comp AS2.

Thanks for sharing, I had not considered the g-Force or Pilot, but will research them now!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for sharing, I had not considered the g-Force or Pilot, but will research them now!
tots

I just checked TireRack and it appears that for my iTouring with 16 inch wheels, the only comparable Michelin is the Premier A/S. It has favorable reviews. The Defender is not an option for some reason.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tots
Check discounttiredirect or tirebuyer if your 3i Touring is size 205/60-16. I've used all 3 companies for tire purchases over the past 15 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts