2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious what other people run? Tire shop techs recommend the OEM PSI rating, it soakes up more bumps but feels less responsive. I asked them and they said they highly recommend not deviating because the center might wear faster due to overinflation.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've had my DWS06 at stock (when I remember) pressure for 25k miles and they wear perfectly. Depending on how overinflated you go it can cause issues but a few LB probably won't hurt. @36psi I will get to 38 once they heat up, science.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm in California, we have some pretty rough roads, and I've gone through two sets of dws06. My impression is that keeping it at 50PSI or Max PSI is the way to go. The tires when run at oem, handle worse, wear on the outside of the tires and not the middle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run a similar tire in 225/45r18. I do 38psi(+3 vs stock) cold because I want stiffer sidewall for cornering and general responsiveness. Yes my ride is rougher, but it suits my needs better.

Stock tire pressure is like good advice, it works most of the time but isn't the best for everybody in every situation.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The driver's door pillar plate recommends pressures for the OE tires that come equipped with the car.

For example mine recommends 35psi front and 33psi rear. Now that I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 I need to use a slightly different tire pressure, that because the tires are XL.

IMHO sticking to 35psi or 36psi all around its the way to go.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yup, the DWS06 tire still has a slightly softer sidewall than the factory tires, yet it is stiffer than the original DWS tire. I ran a couple PSI over factory spec and they ran much better. When I swapped to 8" wide wheels from the factory 7" wheels, the 215mm wide DWS06 tires have a very mild stretch (rated for 8" wheels, all good) and are now MUCH stiffer in terms of roll and responsiveness at factory 36psi.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have these tires at 235/35/19 and stick to the numbers on the door. last time I went for an air check, guy at discount tire told me he put 39psi for pressure going up and down with Atlanta heat. i took his word. he's got the tire degree.

·
Codger
73 Posts
Bear in mind that "feeling racy" is not related to the amount of grip generated. Excess pressure may increase initial response, slightly, but typically results in lower grip, with skittish behavior at the limit. Your choice, of course.

FWIW, I run my 3 at door sticker pressure. My Miata, OTOH, likes +2 psi in its summer COMP-2s. I suppose because I have an actual sports car, I don't have to pretend my 3 is one. ;)

Ultimately, lower profiles require more pressure to protect the wheels from pothole damage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
50 PSI, it's what it says on the tire. The tire manufacture knows what works for their tire.
That is the MAXIMUM COLD INFLATION PRESSURE rating, not what you should inflate your tires! That is what the tires need to be inflated to support the maximum weight supported by the tire.

Don't run your tires at 50 PSI, especially in the summer, you're going to have a blow out and even if by some miracle you don't, your tire wear will be completely fucked. You do not go by the tire number, you always go by your door sticker and adjust as needed by 2 or 3 PSI.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bear in mind that "feeling racy" is not related to the amount of grip generated. Excess pressure may increase initial response, slightly, but typically results in lower grip, with skittish behavior at the limit. Your choice, of course.

FWIW, I run my 3 at door sticker pressure. My Miata, OTOH, likes +2 psi in its summer COMP-2s. I suppose because I have an actual sports car, I don't have to pretend my 3 is one. ;)

Ultimately, lower profiles require more pressure to protect the wheels from pothole damage.
More pressure has a huge effect on initial response, its not slight in my experience. I know the trade off is less grip and I am fine with that as I drive aggressively and still do not have any grip issues.

I am going to email continental and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That is the MAXIMUM COLD INFLATION PRESSURE rating, not what you should inflate your tires! That is what the tires need to be inflated to support the maximum weight supported by the tire.

Don't run your tires at 50 PSI, especially in the summer, you're going to have a blow out and even if by some miracle you don't, your tire wear will be completely fucked. You do not go by the tire number, you always go by your door sticker and adjust as needed by 2 or 3 PSI.
Over 100k doing this without a single problem with wear or blow outs on the DW06. My first set with factory pressure settings would get cupping, and wierd wear problems especially with the sides wearing out while the middle was fine. Once I went to max psi, most of my wear problems went away, and on the next set its been smooth sailing from day one. They wear more evenly and handle more predictably in the corners.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Over 100k doing this without a single problem with wear or blow outs on the DW06. My first set with factory pressure settings would get cupping, and wierd wear problems especially with the sides wearing out while the middle was fine. Once I went to max psi, most of my wear problems went away, and on the next set its been smooth sailing from day one. They wear more evenly and handle more predictably in the corners.
You have way more mileage than anyone else, so it is a great benchmark to know that the DWS06 works well enough at max psi. To learn more from you, how often do you rotate tires and do you get alignments often/never/rarely?

I would normally run 2-3psi higher than the door sticker to get marginally sharper side-to-side lateral stability, negligible MPG increase, and to compensate for PSI drop from time and drop in ambient air temps.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You have way more mileage than anyone else, so it is a great benchmark to know that the DWS06 works well enough at max psi. To learn more from you, how often do you rotate tires and do you get alignments often/never/rarely?

I would normally run 2-3psi higher than the door sticker to get marginally sharper side-to-side lateral stability, negligible MPG increase, and to compensate for PSI drop from time and drop in ambient air temps.
I usually rotate them with oil changes. every 15-20k.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Have had my DWS06 since 2016. They are my winter tires. I keep them at 36. No issues. I have about 16-18K on them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts