2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the most recent issue of Consumer Reports, they say too much road noise enters the cabin. I have a 2014 S Grand Touring and haven't really paid a lot of attention to the road noise until I recently drove a 1 year old Ford Fusion. That thing was quiet! I did a little test on my Mazda3. When driving over light gray pavement, there was road noise. When the pavement turned to the dark blacktop, there was almost no noise. I think it's the Dunlop tires. Any input from you all?

·
Registered
68 Posts
i haven't heard too much noise at highway speeds although it is relatively noisy compared to like a accord/toyota cars.

The tires definitely play a role, hoping to swap out my kicks with Michelin primacy which should make it even quieter

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think it's the Dunlop tires. Any input from you all?
Yep. My wife's CRX was really noisy until I put Michelins on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Michelins seem the way to go...they just got rated highest in Consumer Reports as well. Why don't the manufacturers put them on the car to begin with???

·
Registered
508 Posts
We swapped the OEM Bridgestones for Michelin Defender and they seem to be on top of their class for road noise, mileage warranty (145,000km), dry/wet traction, etc

·
Registered
19 Posts
In the most recent issue of Consumer Reports, they say too much road noise enters the cabin. I have a 2014 S Grand Touring and haven't really paid a lot of attention to the road noise until I recently drove a 1 year old Ford Fusion. That thing was quiet! I did a little test on my Mazda3. When driving over light gray pavement, there was road noise. When the pavement turned to the dark blacktop, there was almost no noise. I think it's the Dunlop tires. Any input from you all?
The road noise in my 2014 3 S Touring is fairly intrusive. The advice friends gave me ("well, just turn up the radio" -- thus covering noise with even more noise) was, shockingly, not all that helpful. Replacing the stock Dunlops with Conti DWS did improve things a bit (more so at city speeds than on the freeway). Grooved concrete highways are the worst, of course. It's almost normal-car-quiet on asphalt. Like the poster above, I was recently in a friend's year-old Fusion and thought "damn, this is quiet."

In the 4.5 months with the 3, I've thought "y'know.. if this car were just a liiiiitle bit quieter, a little bit smoother-riding (especially over minor, repetitive impacts, like freeway expansion joints), and had a little bit more padding in the seats (with the ability to tilt up the seat cushion for us long-legged folks), it would be just about perfect."

Well, last month when I took my car in for its third (!) infotainment system firmware update, the dealer (from whom I did not buy the car), was kind enough to give me a 2014 6 Touring as a loaner. That's when I learned the 6 is "just enough" quieter, smoother, and more comfortable than the 3 to make it nearly perfect.

Sigh.

I *knew I should have given the 6 a turn before leaping into the 3. But I was really hung up on getting GT-level equipment at a T price. Also, all the things I'd read about the 6's infotainment persuaded me that it wasn't worth the headaches (not that the 3 hasn't had its problems, but, on the whole, it looks and works much better).

So, for the last couple of weeks, I've tried seeing what sort of deal I can strike on a 2014 6 GT (marked down because the 2015s are already starting to show up, for some reason). I put a hefty down payment on my 3, but the best I'll be able to do on a swap is break even or maybe net a hundred or two (not surprising, nor disappointing). Even with loyalty rebate, dealer incentive, the discount on sales tax involved in a trade (in this case, the savings is very significant), the .9% financing, and the refund on the extended warranty, I'm still about $1,000 apart from my goal: to make the swap with no more money out of pocket, and payments around $60/mo. more than what I'm currently making.

I'm in no rush, though. If I can't work it out this month, I'll try again in August, and then again at the end of the year (while throwing extra money toward the principal on the 3, to help me adjust to the higher payments of the 6). In the meantime, I still admire the 3 for its many virtues -- the styling (inside and out), drivability (including the excellent AT), MPGs, build quality/finish, and a surprisingly tight chassis. I've given it a few months to see if I could live for the next several years with the NVH and the nice-looking but under-padded seats, and the verdict is "no".

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Better tires to reduce road noise some, then an intake and exhaust so the sound of your car is louder then the road!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The stock Dunlops are pretty noisy and I think that's where most of the road noise complaints are coming from. It growls and drones on the freeway and depending on the road surfaces it gets louder. After getting rid of the Dunlops for some Michelin's Primacy MXM4 the road noise was almost completely gone on most road surfaces and more bearable on the noisier surfaces. The car is definitely quieter on the road other than having some wind noise at freeway speeds but it's quiet enough to let me enjoy the car more now :D

However, I recently had a dodge avenger rental and the car was so super smooth and quiet that I did not notice I was going over 80mph on the freeway. Maybe I'll get one of these quieter family cars after I get married and have kids or something.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Agree with you 100%. In trying to increase mpg and maintain performance, they made everything thinner and lighter. Tire noise will come through more because of that. Where I live, you have mostly dark asphalt pavement and the Dunlops make virtually no noise. But over concrete or smooth roadways, you do hear the tires. When I replace the Dunlops, I'm going to get quieter tires for sure. But right now on the roads around me, it's not a huge problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The stock Dunlops are pretty noisy and I think that's where most of the road noise complaints are coming from. It growls and drones on the freeway and depending on the road surfaces it gets louder. After getting rid of the Dunlops for some Michelin's Primacy MXM4 the road noise was almost completely gone on most road surfaces and more bearable on the noisier surfaces. The car is definitely quieter on the road other than having some wind noise at freeway speeds but it's quiet enough to let me enjoy the car more now :D

However, I recently had a dodge avenger rental and the car was so super smooth and quiet that I did not notice I was going over 80mph on the freeway. Maybe I'll get one of these quieter family cars after I get married and have kids or something.
I think the exact tire you mentioned was the Consumer Reports best tire!

·
Registered
163 Posts
fusion is a midsize more comparable to the 6 like some have stated. focus is the same class. the 16 in tires are very quiet though.

also my wife and i are surprised at all the comments about cabin noise. the 2012 sgt we test drove was significantly quieter than her 08 prius and the 2014 st i have now is even quieter than that. not sure what the complaints are about.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think the tires are 50% of the problem, and the fact that Mazda lighten the car for that extra MPG is the other 50%. This summer we are removing the fender liners and spraying a rubberized coating on the inside of them and some metal in the fender wells.. This will help a great deal. Also the spare tire area will get Dyna matt. And may some other areas.

I plan on getting the new Yokohama's that will be out soon. They have a great LLR and are suppose? to be even quieter than Michelin.
I have also had Michelin and swear by them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts